• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sure. But you did say that Symonds' contribution as a 6th bowler was useful right? Yuvraj has that going for him to be selected above Crowe afaic.
Lol, If we're seriously at the stage where Yuvraj is a better NZ/Ind combined XI no 4 than the great Martin Crowe, I give up.

Might as well throw Zaheer above Hadlee & Agarkar ahead of Bond while we're at it and be done with it.

I get we're all probably naturally a bit biased to our own, but this is getting to a piss take stage now.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Oh please, I'm not arguing he's a better batsman. But if someone wants to pick him for the extra bowling, why not? This is hardly a ridiculous suggestion.

Frankly it's a bit ridiculous you always pull the "nationalistic bias" card when you were arguing Vettori was better than Warne.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Yeah, seems more like a bait than an actual opinion.:p

And Yuvraj Singh is definitely a better ODI player than Crowe.

vcs

Crowe batted like a God in the '92 World Cup. Different ODI eras, so it is very difficult to compare. I remember reading an article in Sportstar about all the top scorers in that WC.. Crowe, Peter Kirsten, etc. [/nostalgiatrip]

Yuvraj was awesome in 2011 but his noteworthy contributions in the last two matches were mainly with the ball. As a batsman, I'd put Crowe above him.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Crowe batted like a God in the '92 World Cup. Different ODI eras, so it is very difficult to compare. I remember reading an article in Sportstar about all the top scorers in that WC.. Crowe, Peter Kirsten, etc. [/nostalgiatrip]

Yuvraj was awesome in 2011 but his noteworthy contributions in the last two matches were mainly with the ball. As a batsman, I'd put Crowe above him.
What? Yuvi's had a 17 year career and has won so many games on his own. Crowe just doesn't compare. Different matter in tests but its not close in ODIs.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It is close. Crowe is more of a solid number 3 or 4. Builds his innings and goes hard later. Old school nineties player from the 80s. Yuvi gives you less solidity but more fireworks. He too can build an innings well but is less likely to do so than Crowe is, especially against great bowling, since Crowe's technique is overwhelmingly better.

Shri

Mr. Glass
It is close. Crowe is more of a solid number 3 or 4. Builds his innings and goes hard later. Old school nineties player from the 80s. Yuvi gives you less solidity but more fireworks. He too can build an innings well but is less likely to do so than Crowe is, especially against great bowling, since Crowe's technique is overwhelmingly better.
No, technique is overrated in ODIs. Attacking temperament is more important. Remember the Natwest final?

harsh.ag

No, technique is overrated in ODIs. Attacking temperament is more important. Remember the Natwest final?
I agree somewhat, hence my Ind-NZ combined XI in the previous page had Yuvi.

However, I would much prefer to have Crowe coming in at number 4 with the scorecard at 10/2 against a bowling attack of Wasim, Donald, and McGrath.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Think Lara and Azhar were #2 and #3 after the group stages but maybe Kirsten and Ramiz Raza overtook them by the time the KO games ended.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think Yuvraj and Crowe were vaguely comparable as ODI cricketers, tbh. In an "ATG" type team against similar standard opposition I'd pick Crowe pretty much regardless, I think, but against 'normal' opposition it'd depend what I wanted -- someone to bat top four I'd take Crowe, someone to bat 6/7 and bowl a bit I'd take Yuvraj.. toss up for #5.

Zinzan

I think Yuvraj and Crowe were vaguely comparable as ODI cricketers, tbh. In an "ATG" type team against similar standard opposition I'd pick Crowe pretty much regardless, I think, but against 'normal' opposition it'd depend what I wanted -- someone to bat top four I'd take Crowe, someone to bat 6/7 and bowl a bit I'd take Yuvraj.. toss up for #5.
Yuv was selected as a number 4 above. I think Crowe would be somewhat wasted at 5. He's a classical batsman you want to give time to build his innings, you'd only want him somewhere in the your top 4.

harsh.ag

Yuv was selected as a number 4 above. I think Crowe would be somewhat wasted at 5. He's a classical batsman you want to give time to build his innings, you'd only want him somewhere in the your top 4.
Yeah, but because of our experience in the last few years, that type of batting just doesn't seem that useful anymore. Because we have seen the "higher and faster" level ODIs have evolved to, bias in favour of batsmen like Yuvi is understandable now. With Dhoni, McCullum, and Cairns to follow, it may be acceptable to have at Yuvi at 4.

It's more of a risky approach though, absolutely.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Oh please, I'm not arguing he's a better batsman. But if someone wants to pick him for the extra bowling, why not? This is hardly a ridiculous suggestion.

Frankly it's a bit ridiculous you always pull the "nationalistic bias" card when you were arguing Vettori was better than Warne.
Just put all Indians in your combined Ind/NZ XI then. Seriously, no one cares.

OverratedSanity

Just put all Indians in your combined Ind/NZ XI then. Seriously, no one cares.
Yep, once Yuv is put in ahead no.4 ahead of Martin Crowe & Zaheer ahead of Bond, she's time to move on to another ATG topic.
Such ****** posts from both of you.

Zinzan, when you said Vettori was better than Warne, I didn't respond with "Oh you picked him because you're from NZ" even though I found it ridiculous. I gave my cricket opinion as to why I felt you were wrong.

Yet when I've been debating in cricket terms about whether Yuvraj should be included in the team ,all you two can come up with is "Oh you just want to pick him coz India" even though I'm not even saying he should make the team. Such nonsense. Piss off.

Last edited: