• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh in New Zealand 2016/2017

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Nah. A side that scores almost 600 after being inserted is not a minnow. Even after they lose critical players to injury and lollapse on the last day.
Away from home, too. If only NZ had performed like that on our tours of SA and India.

Bangers have definitely won my respect in this test.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah. A side that scores almost 600 after being inserted is not a minnow. Even after they lose critical players to injury and lollapse on the last day.
See I don't know about that. The fact many of us predicted that if NZ could get within 70 runs of that first innings total that the lollapse was on the cards. Lolapases can happen in cricket, as it did with Pakistan when they toured, but what other Test side in the world would people have have actually predicted would completely fall over in their 2nd innings on a flat pitch with a lead of 65 and just 1 day and 1 session remaining?

The fact many of us, including ***** (ironically), actually saw this statistical unlikely outcome happening in advance speaks volumes about the fact they are still a minnow imo.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yea but his 200 in the first dig was full of chances and edges flying through the gaps

This is just how he bats. You take the good with the bad. You can't praise his aggressive nature when he succeeds only to criticise it when he fails.
Yeah people sometimes seem to think of Shakib as a less aggressive batsman than he really is. He has a SR roughly the same as KP, Prior, Stokes and Vettori. The blokes a goer.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Well, one of the injured guys was Imrul Kayes ffs...I mean, the guy is internationally renowned for sucking right?

Also- this is gonna sound pretty cold, but Mushfiqur was injured by a combination of being hit on the hands while batting and being hit on the head while batting, right? These are relatively common things in cricket and are related to his batting. I dunno, I'm torn on this but it's sort of comparable to losing a fight on a cut in boxing- unlucky but not unrelated to your actual performance of the skill in question.

I feel kinda asshole-ish just typing that out but I do think there's a distinction between that and a guy, say, doing a hammy.
Kayes has been not terrible for a while. It's deeply DEEPLY unsettling.

cnerd123

likes this
Well, one of the injured guys was Imrul Kayes ffs...I mean, the guy is internationally renowned for sucking right?

Also- this is gonna sound pretty cold, but Mushfiqur was injured by a combination of being hit on the hands while batting and being hit on the head while batting, right? These are relatively common things in cricket and are related to his batting. I dunno, I'm torn on this but it's sort of comparable to losing a fight on a cut in boxing- unlucky but not unrelated to your actual performance of the skill in question.

I feel kinda asshole-ish just typing that out but I do think there's a distinction between that and a guy, say, doing a hammy.
Kayes V2.0 is awesome. Averaging 40+ since returning to the test side. Is legit good now

And yea I get what you are saying, but it's not like Mushy threw his innings away. If anything, getting hit shows a willingness to stick in there and grit it out

thierry henry

International Coach
I'll stop harping on this same point but this quote from cricinfo is the kind of thing that's annoying me at the moment:

Rigor: "As a staunch NZ supporter, I really feel for Bangladesh here. I really hope they hold their heads high after this performance. Very, very brave effort"

Really? Really??

They are about to set an unwanted all-time record for something which insinuates the very opposite of cricketing bravery. We all know that in truth, it's not quite as appalling as it looks on paper because they had two injured batsmen. What we are left with, rather than appalling, is merely a poor performance with the bat from the remaining fit batsmen when they needed to be resolute. It still sure as **** doesn't qualify as brave.

Blocky

Banned
Considering at the start of this match, everyone expected an easy innings victory on Day 3 to the Black Caps, Bangladesh have done exceptional - yes, there has been some piss poor play but that's been on both sides of the coin, and ultimately if not for a couple of injuries impacting their team performance they probably would've saved this test even with the way Shakib and co batted in the second innings.

This is the type of frustrating test loss that NZ often suffers, being competitive, if not winning the majority of the sessions in the test, only to fail because of one or two bad sessions.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'll stop harping on this same point but this quote from cricinfo is the kind of thing that's annoying me at the moment:

Rigor: "As a staunch NZ supporter, I really feel for Bangladesh here. I really hope they hold their heads high after this performance. Very, very brave effort"

Really? Really??

They are about to set an unwanted all-time record for something which insinuates the very opposite of cricketing bravery. We all know that in truth, it's not quite as appalling as it looks on paper because they had two injured batsmen. What we are left with, rather than appalling, is merely a poor performance with the bat from the remaining fit batsmen when they needed to be resolute. It still sure as **** doesn't qualify as brave.
I reckon there would be a lot of kiwahhing going on if the situation was flipped and we were unfortunate to have a wounded Latham and losing Watling. Particularly in a game they're likely to lose by 10 overs or less.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Really? Really??

Rigor clearly doesn't respect them much as a cricket side if he calls this a brave effort, it's actually a very condescending way of basically saying they're a minnow if they're to be proud of that effort.

I very much doubt he'd have said that if it was Sri Lanka for example who had scored 600 in their 1st dig only to implode that badly in the 2nd.

Briony

International Debutant
Just when you think the Bangers have turned the corner, they collapse in a miserable heap. To be big improvers, they have to sustain a performance.

Binkley

U19 Captain

Really? Really??

Someone on the Stuff feed just made this comment:

Result (and Bangladesh's second innings) notwithstanding, Bangladesh should feel immensely proud of their effort in this match. To be put in to bat and put on nearly 600 in the first dig is nothing short of incredible. They will head into the 2nd Test with a psychological advantage

Which is just ridiculous.

cnerd123

likes this
I think it's brave because in the first dig they scored at a run rate quick enough that allowed the result

Then when bowling at no point did they relent, and their shoulders didn't drop and their bowling didn't go to crap the whole innings

And then to come out and bat with the lead, and continue playing in the same aggressive manner they did in the first innings, while foolish in hindsight, was kinda brave. The cowardly move would have been to panic and go into a shell from ball one and let the NZ bowler settle and dictate things. But they didn't. And it backfired. Kayes got injured. And then Mushy and Sabbir gritted it out, and then Mushy got injured, and the tail folded. Sabbir kept hunting for runs amidst all this. The NZ bowlers were quick and harassed them with short balls. Kayes came back out to bat injured.

And now here they are. Facing a loss. They have been aggressive all game and pushing for a result, but it just hasn't gone their way in the last day and a half.

Idk I think they have been brave. I'm frustrated but at the same time this is much more preferable to some of the meek surrenders of their past.