• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh in New Zealand 2016/2017

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jeez that was poor from Latham. Thought he'd turned a corner in terms of his ability to concentrate after the first dig. That was really awful.

cnerd123

likes this
I thought this post meant kiwahhing as in "NZers complaining about how **** we are" but now realise it probably means "NZers complaining about how unlucky we are".

Oh well, I agree either way and if it was me I would be doing both. I certainly wouldn't be talking about how brave we are.
The BD team themselves shouldn't be patting themself on the back for this effort. I certainly hope they aren't. That second innings was atrocious and the strokemakers in the side need to learn from that experience that there are times to reign your head in.

But as a spectator and a fan I'm not terribly disappointed by these guys. Disappointed yes, but as I've said all test the scorecard isn't a fair reflection of what is happening out there on the pitch, and to lambast the side based on the result in this situation just feels wrong IMO.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I thought this post meant kiwahhing as in "NZers complaining about how **** we are" but now realise it probably means "NZers complaining about how unlucky we are".

Oh well, I agree either way and if it was me I would be doing both. I certainly wouldn't be talking about how brave we are.
I think people hearing about how "brave" Bangladesh have been and comparing it to New Zealand are still somewhat missing the point on what Bangladesh have accomplished in this Test. They may not be minnows anymore but they're still rankings wise one of the worst Test teams of all time, and this is one of their finest performances overseas. It took several Test nations several decades to stand up overseas and they've played the game in a manner where they actually pushed us hard for a victory. They properly put on a better bowling effort in these conditions than we'd have expected from the likes of Sri Lanka and have tested us all-round a little harder than Pakistan did recently.

They also had the mini-stories of Kayes and Rahim returning from injuries to continue to fight against a much better bowling performance from NZ when we started to smell blood after a poor effort from the rest of their batting lineup.

cnerd123

likes this
Yeah, but if you take the likes of ***** to be anything other than a thinly veiled trolling personality, then it's really on you for that.

39/2 - How laughable would it be if we're having to scrap out a draw here.

And to be honest, I kind of hope we don't.
Mate there is no thin veil here. All I do is spam troll and reap those sweet sweet likes

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, but if you take the likes of ***** to be anything other than a thinly veiled trolling personality, then it's really on you for that.
Classic case of wanting your cake and being able to eat it. Arguing from both angles and then expecting to be taken seriously.

The same person getting upset with others suggesting Bangers are minnows should not be one to be predicting them to fall over after being well on top.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
I really want Taylor to ton up here. Would be first ton against Bangladesh and would put him equal with Crowe's record.

thierry henry

International Coach
I think people hearing about how "brave" Bangladesh have been and comparing it to New Zealand are still somewhat missing the point on what Bangladesh have accomplished in this Test. They may not be minnows anymore but they're still rankings wise one of the worst Test teams of all time, and this is one of their finest performances overseas. It took several Test nations several decades to stand up overseas and they've played the game in a manner where they actually pushed us hard for a victory. They properly put on a better bowling effort in these conditions than we'd have expected from the likes of Sri Lanka and have tested us all-round a little harder than Pakistan did recently.

They also had the mini-stories of Kayes and Rahim returning from injuries to continue to fight against a much better bowling performance from NZ when we started to smell blood after a poor effort from the rest of their batting lineup.
I think I basically agree with everything you're saying, I just think there are two main stories here.

Firstly, Bangladesh have done much better than expected and when assessing the entirety of the match they can be quite pleased.

Secondly, Bangladesh's overall "quite pleasing" performance can be approximately separated into "epic first innings" and "almost historically bad second and third innings".

I get that you'll most strongly disagree that they were bad in NZ's first innings, but you have to call it bad when they were subsequently dismissed for 400 runs less than they conceded- either that, or you have to ramp up the disdain for their second innings batting, since apparently conceding 500 on this pitch was ok.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think I basically agree with everything you're saying, I just think there are two main stories here.

Firstly, Bangladesh have done much better than expected and when assessing the entirety of the match they can be quite pleased.

Secondly, Bangladesh's overall "quite pleasing" performance can be approximately separated into "epic first innings" and "almost historically bad second and third innings".

I get that you'll most strongly disagree that they were bad in NZ's first innings, but you have to call it bad when they were subsequently dismissed for 400 runs less than they conceded- either that, or you have to ramp up the disdain for their second innings batting, since apparently conceding 500 on this pitch was ok.
Yeah I wouldn't personally be calling them brave here, but I can see why some people are. I reckon most of Bangers top 6 should be kicking themselves up the ass.

Blocky

Banned
Classic case of wanting your cake and being able to eat it. Arguing from both angles and then expecting to be taken seriously.

The same person getting upset with others suggesting Bangers are minnows should not be one to be predicting them to fall over after being well on top.
Meh, at this point we'll be infracted for discussing him, despite his admission of being a troll, so I'll just leave it.

The reality is the bowling attack Bangladesh has shouldn't trouble us in these conditions, so it's reliant on their batting, and to be fair, they got 213 runs for free after a pretty poor piece of fielding, even in the ODI/T20 series I was called pessimistic for pointing out that despite NZ playing some of the worst cricket they've played in the past few years, we were easily trouncing BD...

Now it seems we're going to eek out a test victory having played potentially the worst test we've played since 45 all out in South Africa.

Blocky

Banned
Anyone saying "Wow, we scored 500+ runs and you call that pathetic" - look at the pitch conditions and the bowling attack, the fact that every single one of our Top 8 got a start, then go look at the dismissals to work out why that's pathetic.

Last edited:

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
Interesting that Sabbir is keeping instead of Mahmudullah or Mominul. Did a search and Sabbir has kept in two Hong Kong Sixes games. Mahmudullah doesn't come up with any games though he was a stand-in keeper once. Apparently Mominul has kept in some Bangladesh A games

cnerd123

likes this
Interesting that Sabbir is keeping instead of Mahmudullah or Mominul. Did a search and Sabbir has kept in two Hong Kong Sixes games. Mahmudullah doesn't come up with any games though he was a stand-in keeper once. Apparently Mominul has kept in some Bangladesh A games
Hong Kong cricket once again showing itself to be the hallmark of judging a player's ability

thierry henry

International Coach
Anyone saying "Wow, we scored 500+ runs and you call that pathetic" - look at the pitch conditions and the bowling attack, the fact that every single one of our Top 8 got a start, then go look at the dismissals to work out why that's pathetic.
It's still not pathetic though. It would be kind of bizarre even to call it inadequate and say "they should have at least made 600". But "pathetic" to describe a score of 500+ is just...incorrect.

Blocky

Banned
It's still not pathetic though. It would be kind of bizarre even to call it inadequate and say "they should have at least made 600". But "pathetic" to describe a score of 500+ is just...incorrect.
Nude pitch, no threatening bowlers, everyone getting themselves out rather than being gotten out, type of wicket that Steve Smith despite his obvious inadequacies would have double tonned on, you're stuck on the "500 is a good score" rather than what the match situations were.