• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketing skills that fascinate you

cnerd123

likes this
Yea now that I have been exposed to some reasonable level cricket I just have no idea how batsmen do what they do.

Hitting the ball is okay, blocking it is okay, having a slog makes sense, but actually batting...Seeing the ball, picking what it's doing, moving your feet, timing the shot in order to hit it into the gap...It's just so complex. I cannot understand how they do it.

There is also a spinner in my team who does the ball whirring through the air thing that Fred mentioned. For both offbreaks and legbreaks. I am just in awe of him.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Slightly off topic but I was watching one of those lunch break tutorials with AB and AB said that he simply refuses to adopt the switch hit as part of his game. He said it is a too risky shot.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yea now that I have been exposed to some reasonable level cricket I just have no idea how batsmen do what they do.

Hitting the ball is okay, blocking it is okay, having a slog makes sense, but actually batting...Seeing the ball, picking what it's doing, moving your feet, timing the shot in order to hit it into the gap...It's just so complex. I cannot understand how they do it.

There is also a spinner in my team who does the ball whirring through the air thing that Fred mentioned. For both offbreaks and legbreaks. I am just in awe of him.
I'm glad you have acknowledged that being a big time Bangladesh supporter for ages has not exposed you to a reasonable standard of cricket.

OverratedSanity

I have no idea how cricketers pick spin bowling from the hand. My eye sight has never been perfect but I still find it remarkable how test players do it comfortably. The bowler just looked like a blob to me, he's so damn far away.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
I have no idea how cricketers pick spin bowling from the hand. My eye sight has never been perfect but I still find it remarkable how test players do it comfortably. The bowler just looked like a blob to me, he's so damn far away.
Really? That's actually the part of batting that I find pretty easy - reading the bowlers grip to know what he's going to bowl.

Picking the line and length before the ball is actually bowled is the part I admire batsmen for. How they know where the ball will end up before it actually ends up there, and then timing all those complex body movements and then executing them all within a fraction of a second. It's crazy

I'm glad you have acknowledged that being a big time Bangladesh supporter for ages has not exposed you to a reasonable standard of cricket.
I missed you too man

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Really? That's actually the part of batting that I find pretty easy - reading the bowlers grip to know what he's going to bowl.

Picking the line and length before the ball is actually bowled is the part I admire batsmen for. How they know where the ball will end up before it actually ends up there, and then timing all those complex body movements and then executing them all within a fraction of a second. It's crazy
Yeah, I've always found picking spinners out of the hand to be very easy. Same thing with slower balls. Never quite got the hang of picking swing from the hand, but admittedly at my level there are next to no bowlers who can move it both ways. And weirdly enough, unless it is super exaggerated, I never really notice swing while batting.

cnerd123

likes this
Nah you notice the movement if it takes your edge. Atleast I do. There is that dreadful feeling when you commit to a stroke, and then see the ball suddenly move laterally, and think to yourself 'well, ****', and then you hope either miss the ball completely/get enough bat on it based on how it's swinging.

It's why so many batsmen's hands follow the ball when it's swinging away. Their reflexes are so good they can adjust to that late movement, and the instinct is to follow the swing so you still find the middle, but then you nick it. When the bowling is slow you can pull the bat in and just leave it, but when it's quick and moving it all just happens so naturally you don't even realise you are doing.

Which is another thing I'd add to this list - batsmen who play swing bowling late and know when to follow the ball and when to leave it. Requires great deals of concentration and mental strength.

Burgey

*****, have you been marvelling at the skill sets of the Now Really Competitive Bangladesh outfit on their tour of NZ?

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
*****, have you been marvelling at the skill sets of the Now Really Competitive Bangladesh outfit on their tour of NZ?
So typically Australian to focus on the smash-and-giggle results and take them as being indicative of a team's abilities.

I'm waiting for the real cricket to start, thanks.

Burgey

The good thing is, once it does you'll have a couple of extra days off per test to analyse what happened.

Daemon

The guy has never even set foot in Bangladesh. Reminds me of that one Indian bloke on CW who randomly supported NZ for no reason. At least that guy hated India and supported just the one team though, unlike ***** who has his fingers in every pie.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, I've always found picking spinners out of the hand to be very easy. Same thing with slower balls. Never quite got the hang of picking swing from the hand, but admittedly at my level there are next to no bowlers who can move it both ways. And weirdly enough, unless it is super exaggerated, I never really notice swing while batting.
There's some spinners I can, but the best ones it's so tough. As Maxwell talked about the other night when referencing Brad Hogg, how fast his arm used to be meant that it was a very hard to pick from the hand, whereas his arm is a bit slower now with age so he finds it easier to pick up.