• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ramnaresh Sarwan v Simon Katich v Paul Collingwood vs Ashwell Prince

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
A variety of players, one supremely talented who underachieved, and then some gritty, nuggetty, at times unorthodox, but effective players who did a job for their team.

Katich with the highest average, came back great guns as opener and even at his 'elderly' age, had a career cut short due to politics. Handy, filthy bowler.

Collingwood, came in bits and pieces and proved himself a scrappy lower order fighter who pulled out some gems. Could wobble a wicket now and then.

Sarwan. Looked great at times. Should've scored more and taken on more responsibility as a whole.

Prince. Loved this guy. Bit of a grafter and carved a good career for himself lower down the order.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
**** we could do with Katich right now. Then again I could say that about 20 different players from that era.....

Katich wins this battle.

DriveClub

International Regular
Sad about sarwan, last I heard he was going through depression after fight with WICB and was playing in english county cricket.Not sure where he is now

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I swear to god when I made the thread I made a poll with it and it hasn't appeared? god dman it

Thanks for making America great again Trump

Zinzan

I swear to god when I made the thread I made a poll with it and it hasn't appeared? god dman it

Thanks for making America great again Trump
Hillary's fault. Wikileaks confiscated the poll confusing it with some of her emails.

Zinzan

Talent-wise Sarwan by a country mile.... no contest. I mean it's really a case of spotting the odd one out since the other 3 really performed better than their natural ability would have suggested.

Overall, I'd say Prince was the best performing batsman.... slightly over Katich.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Quite remarkable that all had a test average over 40.

Most naturally talented probably Sarwan. Played in a **** Windies era but did have some roads to bat on like Antigua & Border.

The other 3 probably went unnoticed as playing around 55-70 test matches and averaging over 40. All 3 played some crucial knocks as well. Gritty sorts.

Daemon

Katich>Collingwood>Prince>Sarwan

Katich was quite a bit better than the rest of these guys imo

SeamUp

International Coach
Ashwell getting underrated here you *****s
The thing about Ash was I would say almost all of his hundreds meant double for the team for the situations he scored them in.

For some reason I under-estimated him at times and I think a few other Saffers did/do as well.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I definitely underestimated the role Prince played for SA.. it was not till we lost him that I realized how good he had been for us. I also feel (haven`t checked if it is true) but he got better closer to the end. I think he would have given us a few more good years, if he had not got injured in Aus and SA selectors had not gone for the youth and potential of Duminy thereafter.

Bijed

International Regular
A variety of players, one supremely talented who underachieved, and then some gritty, nuggetty, at times unorthodox, but effective players who did a job for their team.

Katich with the highest average, came back great guns as opener and even at his 'elderly' age, had a career cut short due to politics. Handy, filthy bowler.

Collingwood, came in bits and pieces and proved himself a scrappy lower order fighter who pulled out some gems. Could wobble a wicket now and then.

Sarwan. Looked great at times. Should've scored more and taken on more responsibility as a whole.

Prince. Loved this guy. Bit of a grafter and carved a good career for himself lower down the order.
Collingwood was middle-order, was he not.

Nitpicking aside, I don't really know much about Prince at all, but the other three I'd put

Katich>Sarwan>Collingwood

Katich and Collingwood were both pretty good fielders too. I'm not saying the others weren't, I just don't know.