• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Buddhmaster

International Captain
Linda said:
Roddick's cheekbones make me go ooh ahh.

Still, chuffed that Hewitt got through. I hate having a delay on the match, I cant help but look up the score on the net!
I honestly can't see what it is women see in Roddick.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Buddhmaster said:
I honestly can't see what it is women see in Roddick.
I think when you put him up against Safin he's nothing impressive, but then again who is. :happy:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol. I'm willing to accept that the Russian Beast has it all. I'm comfortable with saying that. :p

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
No one is good enough to beat ROGER at Wimbledon.

I reckon he is going to win the French too. Awesome baseline player as well and its about time! Coria and Ferrero watch out! I also think Ferrero is going to improve a lot as he has already shown signs in this Aussie open.

I wouldnt mind Coria or Ferrero winning either but Federer winning it would be magic. French and Wimbledon one after the other... GO ROGER!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If Federer wins the French this year, I'll just be annoyed that he didn't do it last year. Now that he's out of the Aus Open, he can't win the Grand Slam. :(

I've already forgotten who knocked him out at Roland Garros in 2004. Anyone remember?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Jono said:
If Federer wins the French this year, I'll just be annoyed that he didn't do it last year.
I wanted Coria to win it so badly last year right from the beginning. Too bad he lost in that final.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Oh man...I so hope Tim Henman wins Wimbledon...Maybe it will never happen...the fans are realizing it...but we will still support him no matter what,better than ever...

Hope...such a strong word it is!!!

ReallyCrazy

Banned
I don't really give Henman a chance. He is not as good as he was and he didn't win it when he was better.

Can't look past federer at wimbledon. He plays a lot like sampras and we all know how sampras dominated wimbledon.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
ReallyCrazy said:
and we all know how sampras dominated wimbledon.
And one of the few players to defeat Sampras in that domination was Roger himself at the age of 19 :)

ReallyCrazy

Banned
oh ya pratyush I remember that match :)

Sampras dominated wimbledon coz IMO it suited his serve-and-volley style of play. Right now, Roger Federer is the only one on the men's circuit who does this consistently though he's not as good. Serve-and-volley has become almost extinct :(

twctopcat

International Regular
Tim is still flying the flag for the serve 'n volley club! It will either be feder or roddick again this year. Grass tends to suit big servers but federer has got such a good allround game it doesn't matter that his serve isn't the biggest.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
ReallyCrazy said:
I don't really give Henman a chance. He is not as good as he was and he didn't win it when he was better.
Agreed. His best chance was in 2001, but he came up against a motivated Goran. Still, their 5 set semi-final was tense.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jono said:
Agreed. His best chance was in 2001, but he came up against a motivated Goran. Still, their 5 set semi-final was tense.
TBF to Tim the rain-breaks probably didn't help him; IIRC the game was played over 3 days.

That said Pat Rafter would've almost certainly done Tim in the final. Rafter's game looked just perfect for grass, strange he never won Wimbledon.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
BoyBrumby said:
TBF to Tim the rain-breaks probably didn't help him; IIRC the game was played over 3 days.
True, further proof that the stars were alligned perfectly for Goran. It was HIS tournament.

Well both Rafter and Tim were unlucky. Rafter came up against Sampras in the final in 2000 where Sampras was playing to break the record for most grand slam victories. Then he comes against Goran who had the run of his life, and was playing his 3rd Wimbledon final (or was it 4th?).

Goran's win was destiny. Poor Pat though, I would have supported him at any other time, but not against Goran winning Wimbledon as a wildcard. That's just a fairy tale come true. :cool:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It was a great moment; Goran was certainly a character! Plus my SO has/had a major thing about Rafter, so I always liked to see him beaten! Which is unfair 'cos he seems a genuinely nice bloke! :D

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Tim Henman, lol Common he was never good enough. I mean even if Goran was not there Henmen couldn't beat Pat Rafter in Finals.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I just checked Goran's Wimbledon history. He reached the finals 4 times. He lost to Agassi in 5 sets in 1992, lost to Sampras in 3 sets in 1994, lost to Sampras again in 5 sets in 1998 and finally beat Rafter in 5 sets in 2001.

I saw 3 of those 4, never saw the 1992 final against Agassi but from what I've heard, and judging by the scores, that seems like a classic.