• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is he even that good Tomic?

I see the likes of Kyrigos and Thiem winning Slams over the next few years and dominating, but I never really seen what the fuss was about Tomic whatsoever.
Whjen he's on, he looks scary good, but those days are when he feels like it.

Still can't believe the likes of him and others get away with not playing points properly, just ****ing retire or do a Dimitrov and default yourself. Or even ****ing better just play the ****ing points properly, it's not exactly being in the workhouse is it? Really should be serious punishments, not just financial as clearly Bernie is too rich too care about that, take away ranking points, make them go through qualifying, might change their attitude a bit.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yes he is. He isn't getting much better than what he is now - there isn't that much improvement left. He'll never be 2013 Nadal. That's fine, as long he isn't 2015 Nadal.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Is he even that good Tomic?

I see the likes of Kyrigos and Thiem winning Slams over the next few years and dominating, but I never really seen what the fuss was about Tomic whatsoever.
The way he does it when playing well is so different, it stands out. Rohit Sharma-eque.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Yes he is. He isn't getting much better than what he is now - there isn't that much improvement left. He'll never be 2013 Nadal. That's fine, as long he isn't 2015 Nadal.
so you are agreeing with me then, sounds good...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Agreeing with what? No one is saying Nadal will be the force he was. But you are saying Nadal cannot win the French. I disagree. He can win it. Just like I believed Stan could win it last year when you said Novak was a lock.

Novak is favourite, but he isn't a sure thing.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He's worse than a pretender. Berdych is a pretender as in he ultimately fails vs. the good opponents but always beats the schmucks.

Dimi is worse, he loses to schmucks as well. He's ****. I don't care how attractive his backhand is, win a match ya dickhead.

grecian

oh didn't you know, sharapova was holding him back from realizing his potential...
TBH Sharapova was the best thing he ever did.

He's so frustrating as a player, so rank he's always compared to Fed, when he just doesn't do the basic Fed things of winning important points particularly on the oppos serve, not every point has to be a zinger winner sometimes you just make the oppo play. Fed does this brilliantly, mix great points with solid ones, Grigor is appalling at it.

This final as exciting as we all thought it would be.Edit spoke too soon.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That was a brilliant match towards the end. Novak just about hung on in the last game. Murray looks very good, excellent tournament for him overall.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know if it's fact or just feels like it, but it seems like when Murray levels at 1-1 or 2-2 against Novak he always makes a bad start to the final set.

grecian

haha, that was such a silly theory
TBF about the only medical evidence that meldonium is a PED is about rats having a really high ***-drive, so he may have been litterally knackered.

but yeah it generally was said by dimi-fangirls who are normally teens or gays, so doesn't really hold up

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't know if it's fact or just feels like it, but it seems like when Murray levels at 1-1 or 2-2 against Novak he always makes a bad start to the final set.
Tends to happen a lot with Federer also. It's just the effort it takes to get anything against Djokovic. Used to happen all the time with Roddick and Hewitt against Fed.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Haven`t watched much Tennis recently but caught this final yesterday.... I wonder if Murray really believes he can beat Djokovic? I`m not saying he has never done it before, I`m talking more in a big finals etc... I just feel it is more bravado than real belief. When the pressure in the match starts Djokovic excels and Murray wilts... Its one of the things I admire about Wawrinka, he plays his heart out no matter the opponent. Probably because he had to practice against Fed for so many years :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haven`t watched much Tennis recently but caught this final yesterday.... I wonder if Murray really believes he can beat Djokovic? I`m not saying he has never done it before, I`m talking more in a big finals etc... I just feel it is more bravado than real belief. When the pressure in the match starts Djokovic excels and Murray wilts... Its one of the things I admire about Wawrinka, he plays his heart out no matter the opponent. Probably because he had to practice against Fed for so many years :)
Really? I'd stay that is a minority view. Stan goes to water way more than Murray imo. He's lost plenty of matches he should have won. Its just that Stan has a game where if he's on, he's capable of beating anyone. Murray doesn't have that.