• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Voges will be chomping at the bit to get a chance to further boost his average on this track.

CM Punk

State Vice-Captain
I don't think we'll be able to bowl them out tomorrow, so we'll be waiting for a declaration sometime in the third session.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah but they also had that Steyn bloke who was sort of decent
Its Adelaide, what can a man do. Was such a dire pitch that Kallis and Philander jumped ship early just to avoid the slaughter.

Besides, only Day 2 now. Can explode all of tomorrow when the pitch is even better.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
maybe, but:

1. The run rate isn't actually all that high. 3.41. Yes, there's been slow periods and then fast periods. But it hasn't been outrageous scoring.
2. The bowling attack doesn't have much ability to dry up runs - Wagner, Anderson etc aren't economy bowlers...and yeah Southee and Boult aren't much chop at that these days either.
3. It's a day 2 pitch, perfect batting conditions.

Not saying his captaincy shouldn't be criticised.
When I posted that, the last 10 overs was 0/48. Not ridiculous, but slightly leaky. Now the same figure is 0/47, and the quicks are basically offering a four-ball an over. Obvs McCullum can't stop them from bowling ****, nor can he prevent Burns and Smith from hitting awesome shots, but surely there are ways to tighten it up at least a bit more than that.

I mean, it is hard and you're right -- Wagner and Boult tend to leak runs even when they're bowling well, Corey J isn't quite a Watto-esque seamer (should probably aim for that style of 'bowling dry' at 10km/h quicker than Watto long-term though), Southee's not bowling that well and Henry's neither here nor there on that front, plus there's no holding spinner or anything.

I haven't thought it that much since he retired, but right now NZ are really, really missing Vettori. Heck, they're really missing Santner as a DV-lite too.

Gob

International Coach
Its Adelaide, what can a man do. Was such a dire pitch that Kallis and Philander jumped ship early just to avoid the slaughter.

Besides, only Day 2 now. Can explode all of tomorrow when the pitch is even better.
Not asking them to. Just that it would be fun

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think we'll be able to bowl them out tomorrow, so we'll be waiting for a declaration sometime in the third session.
They'll bat 'til tea, max. Don't underestimate the Clarke-Lehmann-Smith Declaration Complex.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Serious knock by Burns though. Well played.

Also brings his Test average back below 50, where is belongs. Ussie's under 50 too, while TPC is >60, so all is right with the world.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yup, likely declaration I'd say. Pitch was be easier for NZ batsmen second time around, but will be psychologically demoralising facing a 300+ deficit and Lyon's always seems to own us.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
Yup, likely declaration I'd say. Pitch was be easier for NZ batsmen second time around, but will be psychologically demoralising facing a 300+ deficit and Lyon's always seems to own us.
More so we always seem to treat him like he's a pie thrower rather than a competent off spinner. I struggle to remember too many dismissals in Aus or here that Lyon took against us that weren't just abject batting error.