• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If you believe the experts, humidity has essentially nothing to do swing, and it's all about air temperature and stillness. So yeah, the windiness at Wellington is a factor, but the real problem was the blazing hot weather during the days of the test.
Interesting, as far as I understood, even the so-called experts disagree on what factors actually makes the ball swing. I thought the only accurate conclusion is that it's still a bit of a mystery.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Interesting, as far as I understood, even the so-called experts disagree on what factors actually makes the ball swing. I thought the only accurate conclusion is that it's still a bit of a mystery.
one would have to conclude that there's a significant mental element given the lack of consistency among theories. Because people have always said that the ball swings in humid conditions bowlers believe it so bowl a touch slower and fuller and have a more relaxed seam release. Self fulfilling prophecy.

indiaholic

International Captain
From what I have observed, being relaxed increases the snap of your wrists and thus the back spin imparted on the ball. The back spin is what ensures that the seam stays straight..

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Re. pitches, I think we need the ball to swing more than we need it to seam. Problem is, of course, that there's so many variables that affect that, and we can't control half of them.
Completely agree. Boult and Southee, at least in current form, really require the ball to swing. And seeing as the composition of the bowling attack is unlikely to change for the next match, we *need* it to swing.

cnerd123

likes this
one would have to conclude that there's a significant mental element given the lack of consistency among theories. Because people have always said that the ball swings in humid conditions bowlers believe it so bowl a touch slower and fuller and have a more relaxed seam release. Self fulfilling prophecy.
From what I have observed, being relaxed increases the snap of your wrists and thus the back spin imparted on the ball. The back spin is what ensures that the seam stays straight..
Do you guys think it's possible for the inverse to be true as well? A bowler in rhythm who is exerting themselves is able to get the energy behind the ball to get it to swing, whereas if they are a bit more tired and jaded and going through the motions they lose that 'zip' and the movement in the air?

TheJediBrah

Do you guys think it's possible for the inverse to be true as well? A bowler in rhythm who is exerting themselves is able to get the energy behind the ball to get it to swing, whereas if they are a bit more tired and jaded and going through the motions they lose that 'zip' and the movement in the air?
obviously

edit: I know I sound like a **** but tbf it's just because I am a ****

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
obviously

edit: I know I sound like a **** but tbf it's just because I am a ****
Yea I expect you to sound like a **** all the time so don't really care at this point.

Swing bowling is complicated. Can't exert yourself too much, but can't hold yourself back either. Gotta find that sweet zone. In that sense, it is quite possible for a bowler's swing to just 'disappear' regardless of conditions or the ball. They're just not in the right rhythm. When the find it, the swing will return.

Flem274*

123/5
it's pretty annoying to see southee and boult on flat decks these days because southee made his initial burst in the subcontinent, learnt reverse swing and how to use the crease etc and then boult turned a corner in the UAE with the old ball.

then their actions went a little off/they got injured.

TheJediBrah

the batch of balls could also play a big part

bottom line is you can't go and try and find hard and fast biomechanical or psychological "rules" as to how to swing the ball that applies to every bowler

Flem274*

123/5
Going back a few pages, I don't think Australia are *that* great at planning tbh. Mitchell Johnson admitted they hadn't done any research on Kane beyond his 2011 tour there after he had scored two big tons. They might research for an Ashes but they don't bother with anything else.

What Australia are excellent at is adapting fast to opposition batsmen. Though to be fair their plan for Kane they went into Adelaide with, while they talked a lot about it, boiled down to "bowl good balls" which um well done I guess? Australia certainly can bowl lots of good balls but we already knew that.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Going back a few pages, I don't think Australia are *that* great at planning tbh. Mitchell Johnson admitted they hadn't done any research on Kane beyond his 2011 tour there after he had scored two big tons. They might research for an Ashes but they don't bother with anything else.

What Australia are excellent at is adapting fast to opposition batsmen. Though to be fair their plan for Kane they went into Adelaide with, while they talked a lot about it, boiled down to "bowl good balls" which um well done I guess? Australia certainly can bowl lots of good balls but we already knew that.
Watching the game, their fielding setup, how they examine a batsman. They have tactics.

TheJediBrah

I don't think Australia are that great at planning at all. If anything they're one of the worst, in part due to their arrogance.

But it doesn't take great planning to bowl good lines and lengths with a little bit of movement. Everyone has a weakness against that.

Zinzan

Yeah, I think it's more a case of Australia being very good at planning when they actually give a *** and are worried about the opposition. Hence Johnson's comment about KW and how they hadn't really planned for him over the ditch late last year.

cnerd123

likes this
Yeah, I think it's more a case of Australia being very good at planning when they actually give a *** and are worried about the opposition. Hence Johnson's comment about KW and how they hadn't really planned for him over the ditch late last year.
I am so puzzled.

What 3 letter word fits that and gets caught in the filter?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
they've learnt on the go definitely, but that's not what i was responding to. they don't research pre-series at all judging by what their players have come out with.
Maybe not before our tour of Aus since then they've pretty much worked it out. Maybe not pre-tour planning but the comments re: working people out and thinking on the go are accurate. When they get their **** together they work out the opposition very well.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
Agree with a lot of whats been said about Australia adapting really quickly to who they're facing but their job is made a lot easier in the knowledge that our batsman can't seemingly handle being dried up for thirty balls without a rash shot that leads to their dismissal. Australia aren't "that great" at the moment in light of losing Starc who was their only true strike bowler but they do the basics well, they nag at you with the ball and they don't gift you easy wickets with the bat in the 3,4,5 position that is crucial to making big runs consistently.