• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The post here when Warne does something dickish/creepy thread

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Something doesn't have to be evil to be creepy. Something they didn't teach you in school obviously.
I don't really think it's that creepy at all. Someone followed him so he said thanks.

I guess the "I'm a fan" part could be considered creepy given what it is she's famous for, but -- and I never thought I'd say this -- I pretty much agree with Shri here. It might be creepy if he sought her out to say that, but given she initiated contact I don't really think it's any more or less creepy than someone telling Warne they're a fan of his bowling.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Isn't the 16 cents to the dollar pretty normal for charities and awareness campaigns? Plenty of awareness campaigns only donate the legal minimum required and spend the rest on marketing and dumb **** events. I vagely recall reading about a breast cancer awareness charity that sues other charities for using pink to raise money.

indiaholic

International Captain
" There's a lot of reasons I don't like Steve Waugh ... because he's the most selfish cricketer I've played with.

One thing that really annoyed me about him was the one Test I got dropped, in the West Indies, we had to win the last Test match to win the trophy.

At that stage, captain (Waugh), vice-captain (Warne) and coach (Geoff Marsh) used to pick the team.

We went to selection. I hadn't bowled well, we'd lost, Brian Lara batted unreal, but I felt like I was being the scapegoat, that because I didn't bowl well it was my fault.

We got to the selection table and said, 'OK, what's everyone's thoughts?'. Steve Waugh said 'You're not playing'. I went 'What? Hang on. What do you think the team should be? Blah blah blah', and Steve Waugh said 'Nup, I'm the captain of this side ... you're not playing'.

I was really disappointed with that. After ten years, I'd just had a shoulder operation, I thought the situation, of having to win a Test match, would've brought the best out in me too.

I don't like Steve Waugh for a lot of other reasons, but that was the reason."

How did he interpret that as selfishness?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Hahah I remember that game. He came back from an injury and was not bowling well. 98-99 was pretty quiet for Warne (98 saw him get pumelled in India) and it wasn't until the WC 99 that he started to turn things around again. I wouldn't blame Waugh,, MacGill was clearly outbowling Warne in that series and Lara was smashing Warne all over.

Having said that, being bitter against the captain over getting dropped is nothing new, and hardly exclusive to Warne. It's one of those human things. I think most captains in the world, over their tenure, had to deal with such grievances and bitterness because of having to make tough decisions.

Yousuf hates Misbah because he believes Misbah ended his career

Sehwag hates Dhoni for similar reasons.

While those two have greater reasons because them getting dropped pretty much ended their careers, Warne certainly has lesser grounds.

Last edited:

indiaholic

International Captain
I can understand being unhappy over not being selected. Hell, it would be weird if you are not unhappy about playing. But how can you twist Waugh's decision as being selfish?

91Jmay

International Coach
As per usual with Shane Warne, the word selfish does apply to that story just not in the direction he thinks.

burr

State Vice-Captain
It's uncanny how similar Warne and Pietersen are. With both, it's always someone's else fault. They are always the wronged party.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I can understand being unhappy over not being selected. Hell, it would be weird if you are not unhappy about playing. But how can you twist Waugh's decision as being selfish?
Yeah that's what I am saying. Human beings don't always react in the most rational way, especially when it has to do with themselves.

I don't think Warne can get himself to acknowledge that MacGill was better than him in that series nor can Sehwag acknowledge that he was finished as a test batsman when he was dropped. Same goes with Moyo and hundred other examples.

Yuvraj's dad blasted Dhoni for dropping him after World T20 14, without being able to see that it was justified.

Symmonds and Katich still blame Clarke for the end of their careers.

The captains, having to make these tough calls will inevitably become the villains in narratives of these players.

If anything, Warne has the weakest argument because it was just one match and he had an extremely successful career after that.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
It's uncanny how similar Warne and Pietersen are. With both, it's always someone's else fault. They are always the wronged party.
Well KP's case was a bit different. I think everyone would agree that the reasons for his axing was not performance based. I think a lot of people would acknowledge that there was something wrong with Flower management at that time. Perhaps I agree more so because from what I read, Flower's behaviour was extremely extremely similar to a boss I had at work around the same time, and ultimately the atmosphere had become suffocating for me to continue anymore. Having said that, the way KP went about is similar to the way Warne goes about things, in that they both like to do in a way to attract maximum attention, and have that element of theatricality.

To put things in perspective, Warne said all this during a reality TV show..so a lot of it would be planned to have a sensational effect, kind of similar to how Kambli accused India of throwing the 96 SF and went on to blame Tendulkar for the failure of his career in a reality show.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Warne has zero self-awareness and probably wouldn't give a toss what people thought even if he did

Having a go at Waugh is nothing new but what sums Warne up for me is that he agreed to go on the show in the first place

The guy doesn't need the money and is not your typical D-lister that is desperate for a vehicle to resurrect their career

I suspect that he just loved the idea of a camera being on him 24/7