• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd best ODI side?

Which is the 2nd best ODI side (behind Oz)?

• NZ

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • India

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • South Africa

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Bangladesh (have bullied the other sides at home)

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Other (please name)

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
They did and then in the following Asia Cup at home, they lost every game, including one to Afghanistan. This is the reason people are careful or reticent before rating Bangladesh too highly. I don't think they necessarily had a great World Cup, they did only win that one game against England, lost to Sri Lanka, New Zealand and had a game against Australia washed off.

Having said that, I have been very very impressed with their ODI growth since the World Cup. The emergence of players like Soumya, Mustafiz and Mahmudullah regaining his form has brought in some much needed solidity and things are looking good. But their lack of playing opportunities (esp away) is going to hinder their growth to some extent. I am really looking forward to see them perform this year. I would like to see them play other SC teams away from home as well. This will give us some idea about how they adapt to familiar yet slightly different conditions.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
In light of the recently concluded series, it would be New Zealand for me now, just edging past India, although not much between these teams in my view.

Australia
New Zealand/India
South Africa/England/Bangladesh

Pakistan/Sri Lanka/West Indies

If England win the current series which they are very likely to, they will be a clear third above South Africa and Bangladesh.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
We're definitely 2nd at worst. If you make the WC final, then beat the team that got you that day, you're absolutely worthy. Still don't think we're quite the side Australia is, but we're bloody close with both at full strength.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I'm not saying the BCs are No. 1. But I am saying there's an argument for it. Three match ODI series just concluded, Aussie batting disintegrated three times, was slaughtered in the first match, beaten comfortably in the third and only won the second thanks to a career-high score from a No. 8 batsman. Their bowling was very, very good throughout admittedly, but I don't know if the overall package is good enough to say they're No. 1 outside of Aussie.

To my mind the next CWC is in England, so ODI teams for the next three years have to be rated on how well they'd go in England. Aussie has shown that it simply cannot play lateral movement.

Put it this way, if tonight's match had been a CWC final in England in 2019, with these same teams, would you really consider Aussie the favourites? I reckon a 5 match series between the BCs and Aussie in English conditions would be a very, very close contest.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah Aus/NZ/India clear top 3.

Eng possibly 4 with SA and Bang close behind
I`m not disagreeing with you... but it does amuse me that SA are being ranked 5/6th in the rankings after we just came back from India with a 3/2 win in an ODI series. Prior to this we beat NZ at home (SA) in Aug, We did lose to Bangladesh just before that though...

What I`m trying to point out is that I don`t think there is a clear ranking system, if SA win 2 against Eng (unlikely) where does that rank both Eng and SA. All the teams seem to have some problems/weaknesses; at the start of this thread most people were ranking SA as 2nd this has subsequently changed to India (who aren't even playing atm having lost to SA and Aus in there previous 2 series) and Eng.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Trying to rank teams right now is a fairly pointless exercise with the World Cup three years away. There isn't much separating the top teams at the moment, however, I'd still put Australia a tad ahead of the rest. India, SA, NZ, England are all pretty close together and there's no definitive way to say who's the best out of all of those.

Burgey

I'm not saying the BCs are No. 1. But I am saying there's an argument for it. Three match ODI series just concluded, Aussie batting disintegrated three times, was slaughtered in the first match, beaten comfortably in the third and only won the second thanks to a career-high score from a No. 8 batsman. Their bowling was very, very good throughout admittedly, but I don't know if the overall package is good enough to say they're No. 1 outside of Aussie.

To my mind the next CWC is in England, so ODI teams for the next three years have to be rated on how well they'd go in England. Aussie has shown that it simply cannot play lateral movement.

Put it this way, if tonight's match had been a CWC final in England in 2019, with these same teams, would you really consider Aussie the favourites? I reckon a 5 match series between the BCs and Aussie in English conditions would be a very, very close contest.
Mate, you win the WC you're entitled to be considered number one at this stage of the next cycle. Said the same thing after India won in 2011 and Australia (I think) was being touted as number one in the rankings in 2012. The WC is IT when it comes to ODIs, **** all else matters. Australia is rightly ranked one ATM, I'd have NZ second and India third. With there not being a whole lot between them.

I mean, if Australia win the Bledisloe in 2016 (funny, I know) are they the number one side in the world when NZ won the WC eight months earlier? I would think not. You'd need to perform at a level where you're beating the WC winners for quite a while before you're considered to have rightly gone past them.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I see what you're saying and think it has merit. There are clearly two different perspectives you can take and it's basically arbitrary which one you do.

See, if the Wallabies won the Bledisloe 2-1, with one thumping, one comfortable win and one loss that was fairly close up until the end, I would say they were world No. 1 (assuming SA or Argie don't beat both the Wallabies and the ABs at the same time).

It's sort of a "you're only as good as your last game" sort of thing. Because if you're judging on World Cup form and think it's relevant, England should rightly be getting massacred by SA right now.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
I still think it's Bangladesh since they have the bowling attack for all conditions. Can New Zealand win an ODI series in Bangladesh and India? I don't think so. With McCullum retirement, that's more than 200 games of experience lost as well. Also take in the fact that neither Southee and Boult can consistently play ODI Cricket, and keep missing a game or 2.

vcs

England and NZ do look to have the most potential going forward, though. India will always have to mask their lack of quality fast bowlers (which they always seem to do a pretty decent job of TBH) and SA's ODI outfit seems to lack batting depth which is so crucial these days.

Spark

Global Moderator
England and NZ do look to have the most potential going forward, though. India will always have to mask their lack of quality fast bowlers (which they always seem to do a pretty decent job of TBH) and SA's ODI outfit seems to lack batting depth which is so crucial these days.
It is worth noting that the core of the Aus side (Smith, Warner, Hazlewood, Starc, Faulkner, MMarsh) is still quite young. Most of them will be <30 by the time the next WC rolls around.

Really, SA is the only top-tier ODI side going around which looks on the older and more rickety side, reliant as they are on Amla, ABdV, Morkel and Steyn.

Burgey

I still think it's Bangladesh since they have the bowling attack for all conditions. Can New Zealand win an ODI series in Bangladesh and India? I don't think so. With McCullum retirement, that's more than 200 games of experience lost as well. Also take in the fact that neither Southee and Boult can consistently play ODI Cricket, and keep missing a game or 2.
I can honestly say I don't think I've seen a Bangladesh game outside of the WC, as I've only just got Fox back on, and they've never really been here for a LO series.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah, I don't see Aus going anywhere anytime soon. Still think the likes of Lynn and Head could well end up as excellent ODI bats down the road as well. I've cast doubt on Bangladesh but large part of it isn't there fault. They need to be given more away series, perhaps getting the old tri-series back which seem to have fallen out of favor.