• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
picks for the aussie open? i just can't see past novak on the men's side, looks like federer has a tough draw, good chance he won't even make the semis, rafa will also likely find it rough going...i see another novak vs andy or maybe a novak vs stan final...

serena coming back from injury and being rusty might make things more interesting for the ladies' tournament...

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, I quite like him, can't blame him for boasting about banging Vekic to a mate, probably didn't reckon the said mate would blab it to the World, almost literally.

Novak to win the mens.

Womens much more interesting, really think Muguruza might do it, but she meets Azarenka earliish I think. going to be a lot of upsets in the first week I reckon. Halep got an heavenly draw, see whether she thinks quater-finals are enough from that. Svitolina my outside shot.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm going for the Raonic and Azarenka double. They were $51 and $6 when I placed a bet, now at $41 and $5.

Some fun first round matches..
Tsonga vs Baghdatis
Nadal vs Verdasco
Gulbis vs Chardy
Duckworth vs Hewitt (From an Aussie p.o.v)
Janowicz vs. Isner (is this the poles year this year!!)

For the women's
Hantuchova vs. Kuznetsova
Mladenovic vs Cibulkova

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm going for the Raonic and Azarenka double. They were $51 and $6 when I placed a bet, now at $41 and $5.

Tsonga vs Baghdatis
Nadal vs Verdasco
Gulbis vs Chardy

For the women's
Mladenovic vs Cibulkova
How is Tsonga-Baghdatis going to be interesting is it 2004?

Raonic, on the slow courts in Melbourne, can'tsee it, Viksa obviouisly the one everyone seems to be calling the one to go for, personally thinking thats piling a lot of pressure on her considering her results over the last couple of years.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
How is Tsonga-Baghdatis going to be interesting is it 2004?
Baghdatis is really popular in Melbourne. They both get great support so while Tsonga is easily the favourite I bet that this match is considered fun enough to be on one of the big courts and at prime time in the night session.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

Tsonga vs Baghdatis
Nadal vs Verdasco
Gulbis vs Chardy

For the women's
Mladenovic vs Cibulkova
:laugh: Love that Nufers continues his love for Janowicz.

It was like how Uppercut loved Jurgen Melzer and I think SBI's boy was Lukasz Kubot

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I quite like him, can't blame him for boasting about banging Vekic to a mate, probably didn't reckon the said mate would blab it to the World, almost literally.

Novak to win the mens.

Womens much more interesting, really think Muguruza might do it, but she meets Azarenka earliish I think. going to be a lot of upsets in the first week I reckon. Halep got an heavenly draw, see whether she thinks quater-finals are enough from that. Svitolina my outside shot.
azarenka has a good chance this year...

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Tennis Australia decide to go with the Tsonga vs. Baghdatis match on MCA night session. A sensible decision in 2016.

Niall

International Coach

Eight players under suspicion from past or current investigations into match-fixing in tennis are in the main draw of the 2016 Australian Open, according to allegations made on Sunday.
That was in the guardian.

As someone who is reasonably clued in betting, I just want to call Kermode all names under the sun. Its infuriating because most betting people know who the fixers are so often its absolutely blatant when it is going on, and yeah a few of them are still floating around the ATP tour.

I like to think something will come out of this because plenty of guys who have been at this for years are still on the tour, but very doubtful.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Is the channel 7 app good? I was tempted to try it out.

I watched the majority of the day matches on tv and wasnt particularly excited by any contest. I guess gavrilova is easy to support. I like her energy and she seems to be a pressure player (atleast against opponents on or below her level).