• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India 2015

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Man I was out at dinner and checking scores on my phone. Had accepted my fate that I was going to lose money on this test at tea (backed India at start of the day). Literally checked my phone 15 minutes later and India had won :laugh:

Cant' wait to see last session highlights (probably won't watch the first two sessions of highlights, lol)

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Man I was out at dinner and checking scores on my phone. Had accepted my fate that I was going to lose money on this test at tea (backed India at start of the day). Literally checked my phone 15 minutes later and India had won :laugh:

Cant' wait to see last session highlights (probably won't watch the first two sessions of highlights, lol)
All 8 seconds of it?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I still don't really trust Rahane against spin. I think it may be nearing time for me to admit that Rohit is **** though. :(
Rahane is perfectly fine against spin, except when it's a Nagpur-like dustbowl where 95% of batsmen struggle anyway. He's obviously no Lara or Miandad against spin. He's also not the best batsman of spin bowling in the world or something like that. But he's fine without being great or very good. Let's say against spin he's as good as Angelo Mathews or even better than someone like Ricky Ponting. If pace bowlers are banned from the game and the pitches don't change drastically I'd definitely back Rahane to average 40+ or even 45+ in the long-run.

Also Rohit is not ****. I think he's fine as a reserve middle-order batsman for India (and that's because we have a good middle-order) and he should also be in the playing XI for most countries.

But Rahane is so much better than Rohit on most Indian pitches (except examples like Nagpur) that post from you seems like a joke.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Rohit is ****. Can't handle the pressure of Test cricket. He is our Bell/Watson.

Incidentally, both of them succeeded as opening batsmen in ODIs too. Something about that slot seems to favour batsmen like them.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Rohit is ****. Can't handle the pressure of Test cricket. He is our Bell/Watson.

Incidentally, both of them succeeded as opening batsmen in ODIs too. Something about that slot seems to favour batsmen like them.
I'll be happy if Rohit ends up having as good a career as Bell. Imagine having Bell at his best as your reserve middle-order batsman. I think Rohit should travel with the team everywhere to carry the drinks and cover when Pujara/Kohli/Rahane is injured. That's a good deal seriously - better than having someone brand new, because I think Rohit is better than them at this moment.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File

Get stuffed. Rohit would give his left nut for 20 Test tons and a 40+ average over 10 years.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Nah mate.

I'm no great fan of Bell but it's a huge insult to compare him to Watson, never mind a shunt like Rohit.

cnerd123

likes this
I don't think Rohit is any worse than them. Given a long enough stretch of games in the side, he'll eventually hit a few purple patches where he scores heavily against decent attacks, clobber some downhill skiing runs, and have the odd match-defining contribution which will make people proclaim that he has finally turned a corner.

But at the end of it all he'll probably have an average hovering around 35-40, a nice number of runs and test tons, a highlight reel's worth of daft dismissals and would have left fans with the feeling that he never fully met expectations. He will always be a beast at domestics, and surprisingly good at ODIs, but will remain underrated in that format due to the disappointments associated with his Test batting.

Hopefully that never happens and we blood in someone who can actually win us games regularly ASAP.

cnerd123

likes this
This isn't to compare Rohit/Bell/Watson's actual batting abilities or career records. Just the kind of impression we are left with regards to them. Talented, so much potential, odd glimpses of it, but never really fully met them. Yet decent numbers at the end of it all. Also - daft dismissals.

cnerd123

likes this
Just thinking about it, I'm sure Rohit was a complete shunt in ODIs for ages before coming good.
He was mediocre and unreliable (with glimpses of brilliance) for years till they let him open the batting. Then he started whacking all those big 100s and 200s.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe he should open in Tests.
Don't steal my old ideas. I have been advocating this since long. But nah, now I won't get Rohit to open. Vijay and Rahul can open outside SC. Vijay and Dhawan in SC works well. Before Rahul came, I wanted Rohit to open with Vijay outside SC.