• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan and England in the UAE 2015/16

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Look, I am not saying this is great for cricket. Of course the more results we have, the better it is for cricket, although I am sure you would not be making this point had this been India playing.

Having said that, my point is, you can bitch about the rules being lame (and nothing is going to change) or you can focus on what you can do to win within those rules.

It's as simple as that. Not like the rules were invented just on Day 5.
I can hand on heart say if India benefited from umps not going off for bad light a year ago (like Pak benefited vs. SL) and then this happened, I wouldn't be shoving the rule in the England fans faces and telling them they shouldn't complain...

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Ok here it is guys, before you blame the umpires and the rules... Here are some points to ponder over.

This is not the first time Pakistan have imploded. A Pakistan batting implosion is ALWAYS on the cards no matter where they play. Anyone who has watched Pakistan cricket (and really watched, not just check scores on Cricinfo) knows this.

So, given all this, England's run rate in the first innings, especially on Day 4 when Cook was already on a double and Root was batting well, they could have really forced the issue.

Imagine giving Pakistan a session to bat on Day 4 and knocking them over by Lunch today.

Too bad England did not even consider the possibility of a Pakistan implosion when they were batting. It appeared England had accepted a draw on Day 4 when batting. That is what cost them the game.

It wasn't an easy wicket to force the pace on and Misbah is a very defensive captain. I wouldn't be critical of England on that day 4 at at all really.

Cook has one pace and that's basically the way he plays. You bat around him

Bell on day 3 could have picked up 20 or so runs in a relatively risk free way in the last session. There was no pressure on him as he had 50 and the field was back and he was still patting back the unthreatening spin of Malik with the field back.

Bairstow came in for some criticism on day 4 and whilst he could have been more busy at the crease I wouldn't really put a load of blame on him as I think players on that wicket are sometimes going to have to give themselves time to play themselves in. 39 balls isn't a load. His innings was one of an inexperienced bat.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I've read this thread, where has anyone said that?

People seem to be telling people they shouldn't be annoyed about the light because its the rule, and instead England should have known that and batted faster. Its a dumb point. People know the rule or guideline, they just think they shouldn't go off because its lame for cricket.
The rule isn't lame. Earlier, batsmen could decide when they wanted to go off and that meant bias for the batting side. Now, there are good laws for this. It's red ball cricket and as far as what's established, beyond a particular light, they go off on all days. That's fair to both teams as it's uniform. I am all for more and more results and we can have this law changed in future as day night cricket becomes a normal thing but for now, it makes sense.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I can hand on heart say if India benefited from umps not going off for bad light a year ago (like Pak benefited vs. SL) and then this happened, I wouldn't be shoving the rule in the England fans faces and telling them they shouldn't complain...
Look, if you want to feel superior about this, go ahead be my guest.

My approach towards life is to focus on the factors within my control, and not bitch about factors beyond mine, and that was the point I was making.

We can go on about the lame rules without much consequence.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
More than anything I'm just really happy with the way England played.

I would have felt it a little unjust if England had won in the dark given England's overrate.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
So frustrating but so much to like about that Test from an England point of view.
Totally agree, I mean I'm disappointed we didn't win since that could well be our best chance all series but in all honesty I never expected to get close to winning any of these games. Today especially has been such a pleasant surprise.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
You'd defo post 'waaaah' admit it

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
It's incredible how one's fortune can change from day to day. By the end of Day 3, Adil Rashid was probably thinking his test career is almost over. How fortunes change in test cricket.

Welcome Adil Rashid. This is almost what Warne achieved for Australia in 06.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The rule isn't lame.
That is fine you are entitled to your view but don't tell someone that thinks the rule didn't help cricket today and are frustrated because the exact same thing happened for Pakistan vs. Lanka and they didn't go off that they are wrong because there i a rule. You get how that is dumb right? No one is denying the rule exists

smash84

The Tiger King
Yeah adil rashid going from zero to almost hero i the span of 2 days. Let's hope he and yasir can spin a web around the batters in the remaining 2 tests

smash84

The Tiger King
That is fine you are entitled to your view but don't tell someone that thinks the rule didn't help cricket today and are frustrated because the exact same thing happened for Pakistan vs. Lanka and they didn't go off that they are wrong because there i a rule. You get how that is dumb right? No one is denying the rule exists
I don't recall play ending early on each day if the match and then getting a marathon session on the final day.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Firstly, I don't recall being on CW during that test match. So you are assuming you know what I said back then. I actually did not watch that game..so I am not fully aware of the circumstances of that game. Holding that against me now is absolutely ridiculous. You are not replying to me, you are replying to my passport label. That's quite disheartening to be honest.

I didn't get the result I preferred. So change the goddamned format/regulations/laws/lightmeter.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Totally agree, I mean I'm disappointed we didn't win since that could well be our best chance all series but in all honesty I never expected to get close to winning any of these games. Today especially has been such a pleasant surprise.
Not losing after conceding a huge first innings total is itself a huge improvement. I know the pitch was ridiculous but remember Lords and the Oval this year, or any other time we have got behind the game in recent times.