• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan and England in the UAE 2015/16

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ok here it is guys, before you blame the umpires and the rules... Here are some points to ponder over.

This is not the first time Pakistan have imploded. A Pakistan batting implosion is ALWAYS on the cards no matter where they play. Anyone who has watched Pakistan cricket (and really watched, not just check scores on Cricinfo) knows this.

So, given all this, England's run rate in the first innings, especially on Day 4 when Cook was already on a double and Root was batting well, they could have really forced the issue.

Imagine giving Pakistan a session to bat on Day 4 and knocking them over by Lunch today.

Too bad England did not even consider the possibility of a Pakistan implosion when they were batting. It appeared England had accepted a draw on Day 4 when batting. That is what cost them the game.
And they may have gotten out quicker, and not had a decent lead, or a lead at all, and be under pressure. Classic "if my auntie had balls"

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I bet all you Pakistan fans weren't saying the same things when they beat Sri Lanka in bad light a few years ago...
Yeah but my point was there is something in your control, and something not in your control.

The light is not under England's control.
The way they batted on Day 4 was totally under their control. If you watched the match yesterday, you cannot in all honestly tell me England were playing for a win. They had already accepted a draw which I wouldn't blame them if they were playing anyone else. But playing Pakistan, they should have known that this is always on the cards.

One can bitch about the light all they want, nothing is going to change.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Don't think there is any thing to moan about the light. Not like there was an unseasonal rain which occurred.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah but my point was there is something in your control, and something not in your control.

The light is not under England's control.
The way they batted on Day 4 was totally under their control. If you watched the match yesterday, you cannot in all honestly tell me England were playing for a win. They had already accepted a draw

One can bitch about the light all they want, nothing is going to change.
That's a lie, Cook had his SR above 50 most of his innings. That's mind-boggling positive intent from him.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Ok here it is guys, before you blame the umpires and the rules... Here are some points to ponder over.

This is not the first time Pakistan have imploded. A Pakistan batting implosion is ALWAYS on the cards no matter where they play. Anyone who has watched Pakistan cricket (and really watched, not just check scores on Cricinfo) knows this.

So, given all this, England's run rate in the first innings, especially on Day 4 when Cook was already on a double and Root was batting well, they could have really forced the issue.

Imagine giving Pakistan a session to bat on Day 4 and knocking them over by Lunch today.

Too bad England did not even consider the possibility of a Pakistan implosion when they were batting. It appeared England had accepted a draw on Day 4 when batting. That is what cost them the game.
This is utterly wrong-headed, the entire point of getting a lead was to have it in case of a Pakistan collapse

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Saying what? All I'm mostly reading is that "thank God the light saved us!".
I've read this thread, where has anyone said that?

People seem to be telling people they shouldn't be annoyed about the light because its the rule, and instead England should have known that and batted faster. Its a dumb point. People know the rule or guideline, they just think they shouldn't go off because its lame for cricket.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
This is what makes tests so exciting. Even in Pakistan-Lanka tests, there was a game going for a draw all the way and then ending up with an exciting finish.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
That's a lie, Cook had his SR above 50 most of his innings. That's mind-boggling positive intent from him.
The hour before lunch and an hour after lunch when Cook and Root were in full flow, there was absolutely nothing going for the bowlers.. Not a single edge, or play and miss or anything of that sort. They were barely getting a run an over. They could have at least tried attacking Zulfu or Malik or made some intent. I don't blame them, everyone including the commentators and fans and players had accepted that it was going to be a draw. All I am saying is, an opposition should have been aware of Pakistan's potential to implode.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
This is what makes tests so exciting. Even in Pakistan-Lanka tests, there was a game going for a draw all the way and then ending up with an exciting finish.
Having said that, I would like pitches which offer more of an even contest. I watched the last session yesterday and it was boring as hell.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I've read this thread, where has anyone said that?

People seem to be telling people they shouldn't be annoyed about the light because its the rule, and instead England should have known that and batted faster. Its a dumb point. People know the rule or guideline, they just think they shouldn't go off because its lame for cricket.
Look, I am not saying this is great for cricket. Of course the more results we have, the better it is for cricket, although I am sure you would not be making this point had this been India playing.

Having said that, my point is, you can bitch about the rules being lame (and nothing is going to change) or you can focus on what you can do to win within those rules.

It's as simple as that. Not like the rules were invented just on Day 5.