• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How did Bradman get as good as he did?

the big bambino

International Captain
Had I have had the standardised stats at my finger tips I would also have used those to counter you so I do value stats, I just knew from my reading that 39 wasn't representative of his abilities but lacked a way of expressing that point in 3 sentences effectively. As mentioned I was planning on writing you a novel with each limiting factor on that average named - and with some legendary stories thrown in.
Ok. I guess I just disagree with the extent of his clear domination. I've been looking at fc averages of players btwn the 1865-94 period. To me Shrewsbury is close to Grace's 40 ave. Daft at 26 ave over the same period is not bad either. I would imagine their standardised averages would be very high too.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Ok. I guess I just disagree with the extent of his clear domination. I've been looking at fc averages of players btwn the 1865-94 period. To me Shrewsbury is close to Grace's 40 ave. Daft at 26 ave over the same period is not bad either. I would imagine their standardised averages would be very high too.
"Grace's 40 ave"
Calculate his raw average before his decline (maybe you disagree with cherry picking but most people are judging him in his prime)

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Personally I think the standards question is another issue. The game, like all sports, has moved on and improved from the 80s too. That doesn't mean the players then were useless. Bradman faced India, SA, WI as well as England. If you consider India an amalgamation with Pakistan it is difficult to see whom out of SL, NZ, Zimbabwe or Bangla Desh would have found him out.
Bradman never played in SC, and we have seen many greats brought down on their knees by the conditions. And, SL had Murali and NZ had Hadlee, easily better than what ever Bradman faced during his test career. The India / SAF / WI Bradman faced were minnows or just above them. At best like Zimbabwe of 90s.

Players back in 30s I am not calling useless. But they were relatively unfit and some of them were ametures. I have been repeating this for ages, the players base, or number of people who take up cricket has grown exponentially since 30s. Hence we have a better supply of talented players than in 30s.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Again, other great batsmen from Bradman's era have averages and hundreds/innings ratios that are almost identical to modern greats. There is literally no evidence for what you're suggesting.

If you're chopping 35 runs off Bradman's average then you're saying the likes of Hammond were hacks who would have struggled to average more than 25, which is clearly ridiculous.
No. It's far more difficult to get 99 than 65 in today's era. Maybe Bradman would average 65-70 and maybe batsmen who average 50 80 years back would average 42 or so today. That doesn't make them poor players. Some one who averaged 55 would probably still average 45 say which wouldn't make them bad players.

the big bambino

International Captain
Bradman never played in SC, and we have seen many greats brought down on their knees by the conditions. And, SL had Murali and NZ had Hadlee, easily better than what ever Bradman faced during his test career. The India / SAF / WI Bradman faced were minnows or just above them. At best like Zimbabwe of 90s.

Players back in 30s I am not calling useless. But they were relatively unfit and some of them were ametures. I have been repeating this for ages, the players base, or number of people who take up cricket has grown exponentially since 30s. Hence we have a better supply of talented players than in 30s.
SC was a very different place in the day. Ironically SA pitches were slower or turned more. Been thru the minnow/amateur nonsense before. You have no idea what kind of bowling Bradman faced and are really an example of what I said earlier about the sort of person who just subjectively throws names around bcos you can't admit eras past have class acts too. For eg would you rate Murali a great if he played say only 20 odd tests? Or Hadlee if he played less than 10? What about Donald if he only played btwn 15 or 20 games?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
As per this logic, West Indies team from more than 3 decades back -1983 (with Greenidge, Richards, Lloyd, Marshall, Holding etc.) wouldn't stand a chance against most of today's teams.
Not really. Windies team was so good that they would still beat almost all teams of the last twenty thirty years.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Stop talking bollocks. In WG's time scores were a lot lower across the board which makes things a lot harder to compare.

In Bradman's era they're broadly similar to modern day, except for one man who was just about twice as good as anyone else.

By attempting to deny his ability and knocking 30% off his record you do that to everyone else and they all become mediocre.

It's not ****ing rocket science, you just have to learn to accept that he was just that damn good.
If Bradman averaged 70 in the 90s, it wouldn't just be good, it would be mindblowingly amazing.

Just because batsmen averaged 50 in the 30s and 40s and batsmen average in the 50s today doesn't mean the standard of cricket is the same as it was 80 years back. There is no sport where standard is the same.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
So why not Bradman then?
Who is saying he wouldn't? Neil Harvey was am asute student of the game I believe and he watched Bradman and Tendulkar both. He though t Bradman was easily better. We don't have any tji g to go by to suggest Bradman wouldn't boss today's cricket. I think he would too.

pardus

School Boy/Girl Captain
Not really. Windies team was so good that they would still beat almost all teams of the last twenty thirty years.
But you yourself said, that the game standard improves significantly every 20 to 30 years. So that means the 83 Windies team was playing cricket at a significantly lower standard (32 years back, right?).
Their bowlers should be whacked all over the ground by today's attacking batsmen, and their batsmen would be bamboozled by today's bowlers doosras and whatever else.
Greg Chappell's 75-76 Aussies (the one that beat the Windies 5-1) should practically be wiped out by today's teams.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Seriously, why does it ****ing matter what Bradman would have averaged if he magically showed up not dead in 2015?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
But you yourself said, that the game standard improves significantly every 20 to 30 years. So that means the 83 Windies team was playing cricket at a significantly lower standard (32 years back, right?).
Their bowlers should be whacked all over the ground by today's attacking batsmen, and their batsmen would be bamboozled by today's bowlers doosras and whatever else.
Greg Chappell's 75-76 Aussies (the one that beat the Windies 5-1) should practically be wiped out by today's teams.
I said it improves every 20-30 years. By how much is subjective.

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
True, Viv Richards wouldn't have a clue against R Ashwin's carrom ball.

"That's some magic, maan.", mumbles Viv, on his way back to the pavillion

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Marc, what do you think Bradman would average in the 90s?
What do you think Tendulkar would've averaged in the 30s and 40s against guys like Johnson, Johnston and Bedser considering his well known weird issues against slow-medium paced bowling? Avergae would've taken a hit imo.

pardus

School Boy/Girl Captain
I said it improves every 20-30 years. By how much is subjective.
But essentially Windies of 83 and Aussies of 75-76 were playing lower standard of cricket than today, right? Then how can the Windies of 83 have a chance against today's teams?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
The cricketing community as a whole. So the awesomeness of WI gets diluted in the direness of India during that time.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
What do you think Tendulkar would've averaged in the 30s and 40s against guys like Johnson, Johnston and Bedser considering his well known weird issues against slow-medium paced bowling? Avergae would've taken a hit imo.
Just forget SRT. Think how SRT, Lara and Ponting would have done in each situation.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
That's interesting. Modern players would average more than they do today as long as they didn't have issues playing without helmets. They are professionals today while they were amateurs in the 30s and 40s. Tendulkar 10-20% more.