• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in the West Indies 2015

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
The bowling depth was fine. I mean, in 2000, Queensland's attack would have been better than literally every Test attack on the planet other than Australia's and South Africa's.

Dale, Dawes, Kasprowicz, Bichel. That's insane. And Ash Noffke was around the Ashes touring party in '01.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The bowling depth was fine. I mean, in 2000, Queensland's attack would have been better than literally every Test attack on the planet other than Australia's and South Africa's.

Dale, Dawes, Kasprowicz, Bichel. That's insane. And Ash Noffke was around the Ashes touring party in '01.
Gough, Caddick and Cork is actually pretty good, I don't know how often they actually played together but certainly did against West Indies in 2000. There was no spinner though.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!

2003 we had an attack containing Bracken, Williams, Lee and MacGill. That's not that much to write home about IMO.

Turn of the century = good, mid-2000's = concerning.

Then we saw Hilfenhaus, Siddle, Harris, Cameron and Bollinger take steps up around 2006-07, then the next generation came in.

morgieb

I think it'd be fair to say India had good batting depth for home Tests.
Fair call, though I don't see much beyond their best 7. Raina was getting Tests FFS, and I have seen nawt of their options in the Ranji which is of questionable quality (I guess though most Test sides would love a Tiwary or a Bawne?).

Antihippy

International Debutant
Hmm, alright, can't really remember that period of mcgilla. I'd say that McGill is an example of the depth we had though. If he played for any other country he would be a 100 test player and considered one of the ATGs.

TheJediBrah

I remember one test series where we got towled up in Brisbane and the quote from Stephen Fleming was that "it was like facing 3 Richard Hadlees". The bowlers were McGrath, Gillespie and Kasprowicz. Kasprowicz....I probably would have forgotten about him except for the Fleming quote. And he was keeping Brett Lee out of the Aus side at that stage.
And then on our last tour, it was Starc, Pattinson, Cutting vying for 2 spots in a new-look attack. Starc and Pattinson got given the chance and kicked on, and I guess Cutting has now faded away(?) but I guess would be playing test cricket if born in another country(?)
Aussies just have unbelievable depth, always.
Cutting was only a really good bowler for a couple of seasons IIRC. Now he's basically a T20 batsman who bowls a bit.

2003 we had an attack containing Bracken, Williams, Lee and MacGill. That's not that much to write home about IMO.
Only because Gillespie, Warne, McGrath, Bichel, Kasprowicz were pretty much all injured. And Bracken could have had quite a good Test career if he had an extended run. Out of those 4 only Williams is of questionable value in the grand scheme.

Then we saw Hilfenhaus, Siddle, Harris, Cameron and Bollinger take steps up around 2006-07, then the next generation came in.
?who dat

Last edited:

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Well that was a massacre. That was honestly the best overseas seam bowling I have seen in the Caribbean for at least 15 years. The relentless line and length was too much for our batsmen who had clearly never faced bowling like that. Combine that with the fielding that snapped up every half chance that came their way and we had no chance of being competitive.

I actually think our bowling held up pretty well and could bowl the Aussies out relatively cheaply in the right circumstances (I.e Bishoo being fit and roach less rusty). i thought Taylor was actually the best bowler on display in this match. His first innings spell was as good as it gets. Pace, swing, accuracy, variation, it had the lot. Unfortunately it was never going to matter because the Aussie bowlers are too good for our batsmen at the minute.

In terms of our selection, I think they have to stick with the likes of Dowrich, Hope and Blackwood. They are very young and will make stupid mistakes, but that's ok as long as they show progress. All 3 are talented enough to succeed at test level, it's just a huge shame they have all been thrown in at once.

The real dissapointment for me was Darren Bravo. He is the main man now and we need him to be the batsman he promised to be a couple of years back. If he and Samuels fail, it leaves far too much for the youngsters to do at this stage in their careers. I am also running out of patience with Ramdin. I thought he skippers poorly and has started to ba badly too. With Dowrich in the side now and looking pretty good (in the first test anyway) the pressure will be on in the next series against Zimbabwe. He must lead the side to a good victory or else basically.

I also think it's essential they bring back another senior player. It's time Chris gayle really put his hand up and shows he loves West Indies cricket. We need a partner for Kraigg Braithwaite and we need some experience. He fits the bill.

Finally, they have to give holder more responsibility as a batsman and therefore boost the attack. He is such a talent and can handle it. We need 5 bowlers, you can't have Kraigg bowling 20 overs I an innings, it's ludicrous. Bring in Carlos Braithwaite for one of the young batsmen.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Chappell's great oversight in that article is naming the players who are young and should be included in the test team. Oh, that's right, he doesn't name them because they aren't around.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Well that was a massacre. That was honestly the best overseas seam bowling I have seen in the Caribbean for at least 15 years. The relentless line and length was too much for our batsmen who had clearly never faced bowling like that. Combine that with the fielding that snapped up every half chance that came their way and we had no chance of being competitive.

I actually think our bowling held up pretty well and could bowl the Aussies out relatively cheaply in the right circumstances (I.e Bishoo being fit and roach less rusty). i thought Taylor was actually the best bowler on display in this match. His first innings spell was as good as it gets. Pace, swing, accuracy, variation, it had the lot. Unfortunately it was never going to matter because the Aussie bowlers are too good for our batsmen at the minute.

In terms of our selection, I think they have to stick with the likes of Dowrich, Hope and Blackwood. They are very young and will make stupid mistakes, but that's ok as long as they show progress. All 3 are talented enough to succeed at test level, it's just a huge shame they have all been thrown in at once.

The real dissapointment for me was Darren Bravo. He is the main man now and we need him to be the batsman he promised to be a couple of years back. If he and Samuels fail, it leaves far too much for the youngsters to do at this stage in their careers. I am also running out of patience with Ramdin. I thought he skippers poorly and has started to ba badly too. With Dowrich in the side now and looking pretty good (in the first test anyway) the pressure will be on in the next series against Zimbabwe. He must lead the side to a good victory or else basically.

I also think it's essential they bring back another senior player. It's time Chris gayle really put his hand up and shows he loves West Indies cricket. We need a partner for Kraigg Braithwaite and we need some experience. He fits the bill.

Finally, they have to give holder more responsibility as a batsman and therefore boost the attack. He is such a talent and can handle it. We need 5 bowlers, you can't have Kraigg bowling 20 overs I an innings, it's ludicrous. Bring in Carlos Braithwaite for one of the young batsmen.
Has Gayle shown any interest in being something other than a T20 whore? Even Devon Smith is a better option than the rest.

Taylor has a claim to a spot in a combined team for the series. Shaded MJ for sure IMO. No one else bar Holder has a shot and he would be at Watsons expense. Which isn't really fair since he played as a bowler.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Confused as to why Brettig somehow rated Chandrika, a man who literally in every sense contributed nothing to the match a 3/10.

Chappell's great oversight in that article is naming the players who are young and should be included in the test team. Oh, that's right, he doesn't name them because they aren't around.
Its more about talent identification isnt it? Voges should have been identified earleir as a test prospect and now be an aging batsman to be ousted by a young blood.

Chappelli is often captain hindsight and has many axes to grind with almost everyone in cricket. So a lot of what he says needs to be taken with a bag of salt.

I meant bag. Not pinch.

If Voges fails, Chappeli will say I told you so and that he is too old. If Voges suceeds, Chappeli will say that he should have been selected 7 years ago. Its brilliant.

Last edited: