• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2014-5

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Why are Watson and Mitch Marsh both playing? Marsh did well enough in the UAE to not merit being dropped and Watson is the Golden Boy? Seems excessive to me.
Who would the Ch9 team have to fawn over if Marsh was dropped? Watson is a better batsman and bowler than him, but boy do the commentary team love a good fap over how 'magnificent' the story of Mitch Marsh is.

Unless Watson isn't bowling, it's a pretty rubbish selection. Even then picking an extra batsman makes more sense than a guy who averages 29 at FC level.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Watson gets in on batting alone so fair enough.
Yeah but Mitch Marsh doesn't, and his bowling shouldn't count for much when Watson's already playing.

It was always going to happen though; he did okay in a losing cause so he kept his place even though he was only filling in for an injured played. Cliche selection 101. I think he'll be shuffled out quickly for his brother if he doesn't perform, anyway.

Flem274*

123/5
Shaun Marsh sucks too though.

Australia are in a bit of poop because they only have 4 proven test class top six batsmen. They're just lucky two are world class and the other two are pretty damn good. Aussie have to pick someone at three and six so they may as well take the all round packages Watson and Mitch Marsh offer.

Twatto would be infinitelty more effective being given a license in the hero-rounder role at six though, I'll give you all that. Isn't a pimple on a number three's arse.

Last edited:

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Shaun Marsh sucks too though.

Australia are in a bit of poop because they only have 4 proven test class top six batsmen. They're just lucky two are world class and the other two are pretty damn good. Aussie have to pick someone at three and six so they may as well take the all round packages Watson and Mitch Marsh offer.

Twatto would be infinitelty more effective being given a license in the hero-rounder role at six though, I'll give you all that. Isn't a pimple on a number three's arse.
Pickings are slim at 3. Watson gets it cause it's almost like opening or something...

Can't wait for the first oh no. Will be good.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Ok, so the batting order is more-or-less decided now: dhawan, vijay, pujara, kohli, rahane, rohit, saha.

anil1405

International Captain
So with Bhuvi injured i guess they should surely opt for Yadav now. If they don't it will be a mistake.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Any combo of the four is acceptable imo, although I retain my disdain of Ishant. But if he can manage to bounce out the Aussies, I won't speak a word for another 4 months :)

cnerd123

likes this
Yea Ashwin was always going to play.

Looks like we will be seeing

Dhawan
Vijay
Pujara
Kohli (*)
Rahane
Rohit
Saha (+)
Ashwin
Ishant
Shami
Yadav

It would be a brave move to play Aaron and Jadeja/Karn in place of Shami and Rohit. Weakens the batting a bit, but atleast the bowling looks like it could take 20 wickets then.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
India always needed Ashwin. Who in their right mind would serve up Jadeja in Australia?
Karn's in the squad.

I haven't seen much of him, but from the few clips I have found I must admit I do rate him. From a technical PoV it looks to me that a lot can go wrong in his action, but he looks very dangerous when it is coming out well.

In my squad run-down last night, I suggested that his selection seemed like India was picking the next leg spinner they could find that hadn't already failed at Test level. If this is the BCCI's version of infinite monkey theorem, I think they've stumbled across their Richard III*.

*I have no idea if this works but I wanted to force an infinite monkey theorem joke in there somewhere.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
If Watson does bowl then I wonder if part of the reason for having both him and M Marsh in the same side is because Adelaide can be tough going for bowlers, and with the tight schedule of the test series they want to keep Harris as fresh and fit as possible.

biased indian

International Coach
even if we india as a whole have bad series, hope kohli has a good series, we need a confident kohli going into the world cup.i know the test series is as important as the worldcup i don't have that great feeling with this team in test series. so for a change eagerly looking for the world cup rather than the test series .