• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sheep like Draft on Speed

Flametree

International 12th Man
Just found this thread. Amusing that someone got Sobers in the first draft and no-one picked Kallis. Did everyone just forgot, or did they assume they'd be blocked (and didn't want to do the blocking themselves...)? Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Javed and Lillee were also notable survivors into the second draft.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
My guess is that I'll get 6/8 and end up being a bad loser in this...anything better than that, and I'll be happy

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Results

***** R1 Monty Noble, Anil Kumble, Abdul Qadir, Sarfraz Nawaz, Don Tallon, Arthur Morris, Nawab of Pautadi R2 Morne Morkel, Makhaya Ntini R3 Navjot Sidhu, David Warner, Larry Gomes Shakib Al Hasan.

Howe R1 Bob Simpson, Colin Cowdrey, Ross Taylor, Les Ames, Tim Bresnan, Tom Richardson R2 Tillakaratne Dilshan, Faf du Plessis, George Giffen, Bill Bowes, Bill Voce, Bobby Peel, Bert Vogler R3 Eddie Barlow, Bill Lawry

Bagapath R1 Brad Haddin, Mohammad Yousuf, Syed Kirmani R2 Ravi Shastri, Fred Spofforth, Dilip Vengsarkar, Vijay Hazare, Bill Brown R3 Bruce Reid, Ashley Mallett

Pothas R1 Johnathan Trott, Patsy Hendren, VVS Laxman, Ian Botham, Alec Stewart, Johnny Briggs, Fazal Mahmood R2 Sanath Jayasuriya, Bill Johnson, Bob Willis, Darren Gough R3 Simon Katich, Glenn Turner, Roy Fredericks

Monk R1 Mark Waugh, Darren Lehmann, Bert Ironmonger, Eddie Paynter, Craig McDermott, George Lohmann, Geoff Lawson, Ian Smith R2 0 R3 Ian Redpath, Kepler Wessels

Watson R1 Basil D'Oliveira, John R Reid, Trevor Bailey, Mohinder Armanath, Brian McMillan, Mushtaq Mohammad, Frank Woolley, Chris Cairns, Wilfred Rhodes R2 Roy Gilchrist, Garth McKenzie, Javagal Srinath, Jackie McGlew, Herchelle Gibbs R3 Tom Graveney, Warren Lees, John T Murray, Bert Oldfield

Fred R1 Warwick Armstrong, Ted McDonald, Stanley Jackson, Martin Donnelly, Simon Jones, Duleep, Michael Atherton, Douglas Jardine, Slyvester Clarke R2 Alf Valentine, Tony Lock, Bill Edrich, Warren Bardsley, Wally Grout, Frank Foster R3 Colin Bland, Terry Alderman

Weldone R1 MS Dhoni R2 Victor Trumper, Dion Nash R3 Pankaj Roy, Motganhalli Jaisimha, Sandeep Patil, Mohammad Aamer

AldoRaine R1 John Snow R2 Learie Constantine, Lindsay Hassett, Bill Woodfull R3 Archie MacLaren, Hanif Mohammad, Dennis Amiss, Heath Streak, Wasim Bari

Harsh R1 Colin Croft R2 Virat Kohli, Ian Bell, Amar Singh R3 0

Saint Kopite R1 Gary Kirsten, Damien Martyn, Charlie Griffith, Saqlain Mushtaq, Andrew Flintoff R2 0 R3 Moin Khan, Mohammad Asif, David Boon

NUFAN'S THOUGHTS
Why no Peter Siddle?

So for the teams with under 11, not good sheep drafting. Therefore, you guys get these players:

Sheep
Bagapath - Gladstone Small
Monk - Ken Rutherford
weldone - Adam Huckle, Alastair Campbell, Hamish Marshall, Ata-Ur-Rehman
Aldo - Bryce McGain, Chris Harris
Harsh - Syed Rasel, Graham Manou, Rob Quiney, Roger Twose, Basit Ali, Usman Afzaal, Claude Henderson
Saint Kopite - Pommie Mbangwa, Andrew Hilditch, Mehrab Hossain

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
So, here is my incomplete XI (ignoring the ones thrust upon me):

Pankaj Roy
Victor Trumper
-
-
ML Jaisimha
Sandeep Patil
Mahendra Dhoni
Doin Nash
-
-
Mohammad Aamer

My first sheep draft - can only improve from here.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Imagine how long the banned list is going to be for the third installment. One thing that could be re-fined (if/when a third one happens) is that I actually say the successful players each round. Keeps it interesting and allows for more gamesmanship and talk between rounds.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Are you really going for the 3rd installment?

Some of the forced players might be of same standard compared to picked players if so. :p

cnerd123

likes this
***** XI

Arthur Morris
Navjot Singh Sidhu
David Warner
Larry Gomes
Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi (*)
Monty Noble
Shakib Al Hasan
Don Tallon (+)
Morne Morkel
Abdul Qadir
Safraz Nawaz

Ntini
Kumble

Could possibly swap out Shakib for one of Ntini/Kumble, but that weakens the batting. And it's not a bad batting lineup by any means, but could afford to be strengthened. I'm pretty pleased with the bowling as it is though. Nawaz/Morkel with the new ball, both can get some reverse as well, Morkel is good for the short hostile stuff and Nawaz for long spells. Qadir is a brilliant spinner, well backed up by Shakib, and Noble is supposed to have been a pretty good medium-paced seam/spin/cut bowler as well. With Tallon behind the stumps, the Nawab's inventive and aggressive captaincy, and a decent fielding side, they should do well against these other drafted XIs.

I'd play both Kumble and Qadir...but that would mean either having Sarfraz Nawaz sharing the new ball with Monty Noble, or batting Don Tallon at 7.

...anyone want to trade Shakib/Ntini for a proper batsman?

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
***** XI

Arthur Morris
Navjot Singh Sidhu
David Warner
Larry Gomes
Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi (*)
Monty Noble
Shakib Al Hasan
Don Tallon (+)
Morne Morkel
Abdul Qadir
Safraz Nawaz

Ntini
Kumble

Could possibly swap out Shakib for one of Ntini/Kumble, but that weakens the batting. And it's not a bad batting lineup by any means, but could afford to be strengthened. I'm pretty pleased with the bowling as it is though. Nawaz/Morkel with the new ball, both can get some reverse as well, Morkel is good for the short hostile stuff and Nawaz for long spells. Qadir is a brilliant spinner, well backed up by Shakib, and Noble is supposed to have been a pretty good medium-paced seam/spin/cut bowler as well. With Tallon behind the stumps, the Nawab's inventive and aggressive captaincy, and a decent fielding side, they should do well against these other drafted XIs.

I'd play both Kumble and Qadir...but that would mean either having Sarfraz Nawaz sharing the new ball with Monty Noble, or batting Don Tallon at 7.

...anyone want to trade Shakib/Ntini for a proper batsman?
Only change I would make is to have Ntini ahead of Nawaz in the first XI. Try and give Kumble away to someone who doesn't have a spinner for a good fast bowler or fast bowling all rounder :)

bagapath

International Captain
ravi shastri (5)
bill brown
vijay hazare ©
dilip vengsarkar
mohammad yousuff
brad haddin
syed kirmani (wk)
ashley mallett (4)
fred spofforth (1)
gladstone small (3)
bruce reid (2)

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Ian Redpath
Kepler Wessels
Eddie Paynter
Mark Waugh
Ken Rutherford
Darren Lehmann *
Ian Smith +
George Lohmann
Geoff Lawson
Craig McDermott
Bert Ironmonger

I like this team!

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
Hmm, thought I had played it safe in the end. Oh well.

Bill Woodfull
Archie Maclaren
Hanif Mohammed
Dennis Amiss
Lindsay Hassett
Learie Constantine
Wasim Bari
Chris Harris
Heath Streak
John Snow
Bryce McGain