• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cook: Yes or no?

Should Alastair Cook remain England's ODI captain?

• Yes

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • No

Votes: 13 76.5%

• Total voters

WalkingWicket

State 12th Man
We all know that Alastair Cook has been under significant flak from both the fans and the media in regards to continuing on as England's ODI captain, but I want to know the forum's opinions.

I used to be a big Cook fan - but since he demonstrated that he's an outdated player and captain in a very rapidly changing ODI game, incapable of leading or scoring runs, I turned against him somewhat. He's decent enough in Tests, how he turned around the Test Series against India was impressive, but with the World Cup coming round, I think it's the last chance (and a chance we should definitely take) to replace him with someone who knows what they're doing: Morgan is my pick.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I think given the way he turned around the test series and managed to scratch a few runs together himself I'm not dead against allowing him the same opportunity with the ODI team.

Cook is a very good ODI batsmen, when he came back into the team in 2010 as skip he had 3 very good years with the bat and we had reasonable success as a team. He is just horribly out of sorts as a batsmen and that seems to highlight his limitations as a captain. We saw in the tests once he starts scoring runs and England win all of a sudden his captaincy doesn't look so bad.

If we had a glaringly better option then for sure, drop him........but we don't. Morgan is barely holding onto his spot himself.

I think it's too late to be changing skipper now for the WC, so we stick with him and hope for the best I guess.

Last edited:

uvelocity

International Coach
not a captains asshole, though would return to better pastures against the weaker teams without the burden

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What Adders said really, and TBH, people seem to not realise Morgan is actually a **** captain, and not in great nick in 50 overs stuff himself for a while.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
What Adders said really, and TBH, people seem to not realise Morgan is actually a **** captain, and not in great nick in 50 overs stuff himself for a while.
Yeah, people don't think "I've seen loads of evidence that Eoin Morgan is a really good captain" they just want to be anti-establishmen. Morgan is the UKIP of captaincy candidates really.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, people don't think "I've seen loads of evidence that Eoin Morgan is a really good captain" they just want to be anti-establishmen. Morgan is the UKIP of captaincy candidates really.
Good analogy that. Keeping with the political ones we go with Cook for the World Cup, the same as Labour go with Milliband for the General Election, it may not be right but it's how it's been geared up for the last few years, and the change would cause chaos at this time.

After both big events if it goes horribly then we can make major changes, yet we're stuck with it ATM.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cook is probably my least favorite good cricketer in the world right now, tbh, so I might be a bit biased against him, but I just think he should've been sacked as captain a while back. This business of not having a successor is the same thing India has been struggling with with regards to Dhoni. In fact, for us, its even worse as apart from Dhoni, there's not a single guy with meaningful international experience. England have Bell and I see no reason why he shouldn't be given the captaincy.

Cook is just way too much of a whiny **** to be captain imo. Doesn't have a captain's attitude in front of the media, doesn't have the personality and is a pathetic tactician too. Replace him.

WalkingWicket

State 12th Man
Cook is probably my least favorite good cricketer in the world right now, tbh, so I might be a bit biased against him, but I just think he should've been sacked as captain a while back. This business of not having a successor is the same thing India has been struggling with with regards to Dhoni. In fact, for us, its even worse as apart from Dhoni, there's not a single guy with meaningful international experience. England have Bell and I see no reason why he shouldn't be given the captaincy.

Cook is just way too much of a whiny **** to be captain imo. Doesn't have a captain's attitude in front of the media, doesn't have the personality and is a pathetic tactician too. Replace him.
Nah, I see Bell as too similar a player to Cook (someone stuck in the proverbial ODI past with low scoring rates and frankly uninspiring shots) - without the captaincy experience. I think if England intend to move forward, they have to do away with Cook and Bell and select a player more representative of England's future: who that is, I don't know.

igorbalis

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Cook should stay as captain because he is from a good family, knows how to execute his skills and has an excellent working knowledge of the dressing room banter. Also his surname lends itself to the 'add a y on the end' nickname protocol. We need him there to hit 70 off 120 balls to provide the spine of a 237 run England innings that has been statistically deduced to provide a 73.6% chance of victory. If you disagree you're a horrible backstabber and possibly a communist.

BeeGee

International Captain
Cook should stay as captain because he is from a good family, knows how to execute his skills and has an excellent working knowledge of the dressing room banter. Also his surname lends itself to the 'add a y on the end' nickname protocol. We need him there to hit 70 off 120 balls to provide the spine of a 237 run England innings that has been statistically deduced to provide a 73.6% chance of victory. If you disagree you're a horrible backstabber and possibly a communist.
ATG first post.

igorbalis

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Aye, it was a bit predictable and hackneyed...just like England's approach to limited overs cricket!

I'll get my coat.