• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Vs. Baseball

Howe_zat

Audio File
Reasons why cricket fans generally don't like baseball:

> They are almost entirely outside North America/Japan
> People generally like fewer sports, not more, as they get older

I've nothing to outright dislike about it, I just don't have a team to support or anyone to follow it with, and getting into a new sport like that in adulthood is an effort I'm not really interested in.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Video is quite bad afaic.

"In Cricket, the Wicket means everything. Imagine getting bowled out without the ball hitting the batsman's wicket. That'd be stupid"

The batsman can be out lbw without the ball hitting the wicket, though. Much like swinging and missing for a ball in baseball, it's a necessary extension to the law to stop that route of advantage for the batsman. It seems like the complaint here would be avoided if the two methods of striking out were called different thins, which makes it a rubbish complaint.

"The 'run to first base on contact' rule makes plays very predictable. Thus, hitter is put out by force, not due to error in judgement. P.S. 1st baseman is an unathletic fatso."

All this does is shift the decsion-making freedom from 'run or don't run' to 'swing or don't swing'. The chess game is still there, it's just earlier in the process. Plus, some would argue that run-outs due to poor decision making are a less interesting spectacle than run-outs due to poor ability. P.S. Inzamam Ul-Haq.

Edit: The last bit, about fans, is a remarkably trashy biased selection of pictures.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
hearing baseball fans describe cricket as boring and then actually watching baseball was something

Pietro Modena

Cricket Spectator
Video is quite bad afaic.

"In Cricket, the Wicket means everything. Imagine getting bowled out without the ball hitting the batsman's wicket. That'd be stupid"

The batsman can be out lbw without the ball hitting the wicket, though. Much like swinging and missing for a ball in baseball, it's a necessary extension to the law to stop that route of advantage for the batsman. It seems like the complaint here would be avoided if the two methods of striking out were called different thins, which makes it a rubbish complaint.
I think what they're trying to say in the video is that there's only one way to get "bowled" out, and for that to happen the wicket must be hit by the ball and the bails dislodged. They're not talking about LBW, but even with LBW, the ball must be headed for the Wicket. With a stumping, the ball must still dislodge the bails. I believe the complaint there is that the "strike zone" has very little importance when it comes to "striking out" a batter, as opposed to the importance of the wicket in Cricket.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Just wait 20-30 years. Twenty20 will evolve into baseball, or possibly even T-ball or softball. Anything that makes it harder for bowlers and easier for batsmen will be implemented. All about the BIG shots now.

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
Reasons why cricket fans generally don't like baseball:

> They are almost entirely outside North America/Japan
> People generally like fewer sports, not more, as they get older

I've nothing to outright dislike about it, I just don't have a team to support or anyone to follow it with, and getting into a new sport like that in adulthood is an effort I'm not really interested in.
"They are almost entirely outside North America/Japan" is not a correct statement... There are many Baseball countries/areas in Latin America and Asia (South Korea, Chinese Taibei).

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
The biggest shortcoming of Baseball is the illogical rules. For example, left batters have clear advantage since left batting box is closer to the 1st base.
There would have been no Baseball (US-born, not Welsh Baseball) if there had had limited-over Cricket before Baseball was born.

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
Are any of you familiar with Baseball? What are your views on Baseball as Cricket fans?

I found this really interesting video that shows why Cricket fans generally don't like Baseball :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9g5fKbVQ_4
I agree with the video on most points, but I do not agree that Baseball gloves make the game boring. I want to introduce Baseball-style gloves into Cricket in order to make taking outs easier. And I want to increase the number of defense players from 11.
And I want to add a new law to Cricket: Maiden is out.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree with the video on most points, but I do not agree that Baseball gloves make the game boring. I want to introduce Baseball-style gloves into Cricket in order to make taking outs easier. And I want to increase the number of defense players from 11.
And this is why we are all incredibly grateful that your cricket input is limited to CW and you haven't found your way onto the ICC's board.

Red

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and address your points properly. Because I am starting to like you. You may or may not be an epic troll, but meh, I have a couple'a minutes…

Baseball style gloves….are not necessary in cricket. The majority of cricket catches go to the slips cordon, where they'd be a hindrance. In the outfield, baseball gloves could conceivably be useful. But why change something arbitrarily.

What is the point of increasing the number of fielder from 11 to something else. If you play cricket, you know the number is ideal. You have a keeper and a bowler, then you have nine other fielders. Nine fielders provides a perfect balance between batsman and fielding side imo. Any less and grounds become very hard to defend. Any more and the batsman is severely limited.

Maiden is out- I can see your point here, but one of the things cricket lovers enjoy is the ability of bowlers/fielders to pressure the batsman with tight bowling and fielding, ideally forcing the batsman to play a rash shot and get out. Part of the reason great fielding is applauded/valued is not only because it saves 4 runs, but because it mounts pressure on the batsman.

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and address your points properly. Because I am starting to like you. You may or may not be an epic troll, but meh, I have a couple'a minutes…

Baseball style gloves….are not necessary in cricket. The majority of cricket catches go to the slips cordon, where they'd be a hindrance. In the outfield, baseball gloves could conceivably be useful. But why change something arbitrarily.

What is the point of increasing the number of fielder from 11 to something else. If you play cricket, you know the number is ideal. You have a keeper and a bowler, then you have nine other fielders. Nine fielders provides a perfect balance between batsman and fielding side imo. Any less and grounds become very hard to defend. Any more and the batsman is severely limited.

Maiden is out- I can see your point here, but one of the things cricket lovers enjoy is the ability of bowlers/fielders to pressure the batsman with tight bowling and fielding, ideally forcing the batsman to play a rash shot and get out. Part of the reason great fielding is applauded/valued is not only because it saves 4 runs, but because it mounts pressure on the batsman.
My point is increasing the probability of 10 wickets in a 20-over innings (maybe to 75%~80%). For that aim I want to introduce Baseball-style gloves and increasing the number of fielders, and make maiden out.

Red

My point is increasing the probability of 10 wickets in a 20-over innings (maybe to 75%~80%). For that aim I want to introduce Baseball-style gloves and increasing the number of fielders, and make maiden out.
The 20 over match is tailored to the fans. Administrators don't want to see more wickets. They want to see more big hits from batsmen, so anything that advantages the bowling/fielding side will not be implemented.

watson

Banned
Thanks for the question Pietro.

Friends tell me that watching a professional baseball game live is pretty exciting because of the atmosphere, and being able to see the 'bigger picture' of the contest. That is, pitchers pitching, batters stealing bases etc etc all at the same time.

However, I find the TV experience rather tedious. I put this down to the lack of contact of the ball with the bat. In fact, a decent hit is so infrequent the spectator is lucky to see more than a handful of home runs in the mandatory 3 hours. Cricket is the complete opposite with bowlers having to work hard to beat the bat, and prevent boundary hits.

Or to put it more simply, if baseball is going to become more interesting to this cricket fan then the batter is going to have to hit the ball more than just occasionally.

Last edited:

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Thanks for the question Pietro.

Friends tell me that watching a professional baseball game live is pretty exciting because of the atmosphere, and being able to see the 'bigger picture' of the contest. That is, pitchers pitching, batters stealing bases etc etc all at the same time.

However, I find the TV experience rather tedious. I put this down to the lack of contact of the ball with the bat. In fact, a decent hit is so infrequent the spectator is lucky to see more than a handful of home runs in the mandatory 3 hours. Cricket is the complete opposite with bowlers having to work hard to beat the bat, and prevent boundary hits.

Or to put it more simply, if baseball is going to become more interesting to this cricket fan then the batter is going to have to hit the ball more than just occasionally.
I actually find baseball better to watch than cricket, I think. Maybe it's because I've been watching cricket all my life and have only got into baseball in the last few years but baseball seems to hold my attention a lot better these days.

I think it's to do with the higher frequency of 'big moments' in baseball compared to cricket. With the former, games are generally pretty close (and if they're not that can change in a real hurry) so any time it looks like runs could be scored it's an important moment and deserves the viewer's attention. Cricket, on the other hand, can kind of meander along at times and the big moments occur when a batsmen approaches a landmark or a bowler runs through a team or things start to get tight. If it's a dull game you can go an hour or more without seeing anything overly interesting.

I do find that I love similar things in both games though. A quality pitching duel is great to watch, in much the same way as it's awesome to watch a bowler at their best. I love seeing a batter working the count full and picking their pitch to hit, just like it's a pleasure to see a batsman construct an innings.

I don't think their should be competition between these two sports anyway, if you like one there's plenty to like in the other.

Pietro Modena

Cricket Spectator
The concept of an out for a maiden over is going to introduce the same illogical mindset that's currently prevalent in Baseball. By that I mean, the batsmen are going to be forced to run on the last ball of an over in order to avoid being out due to the maiden over if the previous 5 balls were dots. This is going to make the batsman take their chances even though there is little to no chance, and it's going to make the whole thing very predictable with a Run Out taking place instead of the maiden over out. Even if you have that rule in place, I would argue that you would rarely see outs happening with a maiden over (if any).

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
I found this really interesting video that shows why Cricket fans generally don't like Baseball :]
Actually, I know a lot of cricket fans who are big fans of baseball. And I'm one of them.

If you look at the New Zealand Cricket team from a couple of years back, more than half the team were big baseball fans. I think the whole side went and watched a Marlin game on one tour, and a Dodgers or Giants game on another.

Also, that video is horrible, especially since I've never heard about cricket fans finding baseball boring.

It's almost like you have to like one or the other, or something. I like both sports, and I like them because of there differences.

Last edited:

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
I think that the main difference between between cricket and baseball is that in cricket the pressure is constantly on the batsmen (not to get out), whereas in baseball the pitchers are the ones constantly under pressure not to give away runs.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I think that the main difference between between cricket and baseball is that in cricket the pressure is constantly on the batsmen (not to get out), whereas in baseball the pitchers are the ones constantly under pressure not to give away runs.
Is that how baseball players/fans see it? As an cricket fan uninformed on all things baseball, I was under the impression that baseball batters would be under tremendous pressure to connect one and get off strike? If we had a "three dot balls and you're out" rule in cricket, the batsmen would feel the heat more than bowlers, I reckon.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Is that how baseball players/fans see it? As an cricket fan uninformed on all things baseball, I was under the impression that baseball batters would be under tremendous pressure to connect one and get off strike? If we had a "three dot balls and you're out" rule in cricket, the batsmen would feel the heat more than bowlers, I reckon.
I'd say it's very much situational but can definitely see where ohnoitsyou is coming from. Baseball is different from cricket in that the pitcher/fielders are the defense - their job is simply to stop runs being scored however they can. In cricket you have a bowling attack who are actively trying to get through, at times, defensive batsmen. In baseball the sole objective is to get on base and then score runs. There's no reason to do anything else.

I reckon the real difference between the pressure felt by pitchers/bowlers is that a bowler can make plenty of mistakes and get away with them, whereas a pitcher makes a mistake and may give up the runs that end up costing his team the game.