• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2013/14

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Agree with all that's it's vital these two bat through the first 15 or so overs of the new ball. Against tired bowlers with the ball not brand new I really believe Neesham, Southee and Wagner should be able to score at least another 60 between them, giving us a 300 lead. Could still collapse short of an even-money score if we lose a wicket now.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I criticised our batting after the weak first innings effort but it's good to know we have layers he can pull this out of their arse when we desperately need it. It'd just be nice that the openers could do such a job.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Agree with all that's it's vital these two bat through the first 15 or so overs of the new ball. Against tired bowlers with the ball not brand new I really believe Neesham, Southee and Wagner should be able to score at least another 60 between them, giving us a 300 lead. Could still collapse short of an even-money score if we lose a wicket now.
I just don't want us to go for the win at all tbh. IDGAF if that sounds negative. They have a monster batting lineup. Dhawan, Pujara, Kohli and Dhoni could make a 350 run chase gettable in a session of good batting.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I just don't want us to go for the win at all tbh. IDGAF if that sounds negative. They have a monster batting lineup. Dhawan, Pujara, Kohli and Dhoni could make a 350 run chase gettable in a session of good batting.
Exactly right, that's my concern too. I'd sooner we just keep on batting and batting if we can.

It's all about the series win.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Oh I pretty much agree - don't set them anything gettable - don't think about declaring unless it's 370 from 70 overs or so which would make India sweat without a realistic prospect of chasing it. I was just thinking of what happens when/if one of these two gets out next session - want the ball to be as old as possible.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
If McCullum can get his 300 and bat us to a series victory, it'll be the single greatest innings ever by an NZ batsman. And I don't just mean that in the obvious sense that he'll have NZ's highest ever score.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If McCullum can get his 300 and bat us to a series victory, it'll be the single greatest innings ever by an NZ batsman. And I don't just mean that in the obvious sense that he'll have NZ's highest ever score.
he's gonna need to cramp up before he beats Mark Richardson's 145 v India

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Exactly right, that's my concern too. I'd sooner we just keep on batting and batting if we can.

It's all about the series win.
Oh I pretty much agree - don't set them anything gettable - don't think about declaring unless it's 370 from 70 overs or so which would make India sweat without a realistic prospect of chasing it. I was just thinking of what happens when/if one of these two gets out next session - want the ball to be as old as possible.

I suppose the counterpoint to our argument is that you'd have to bowl pretty poorly for an extended period of time to fail to defend 350 runs. Which is somewhat true, but then I thought we bowled pretty well for most of the 4th innings in Auckland and they still reached 360, and this pitch is probably more of a road now than Eden Park was on day 4.

Flem274*

123/5
Jeremy Coney saying the McCullum boundaries are the icing on the good singles cake.

So I think this is an apt time to say McCullum joins Taylor, KW and Watling as being an iced cake.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I just don't believe this ****. Just get a wicket from somewhere you ****s. Push McCullum out of the crease abd Mankad him if you have to. Would've been better if we'd just been smashed in the first innings itself

jonbrooks

International Debutant
McCullum needs to do the only sane thing possible here and that is bat until he dies. No ....ing declaration. Just bat and bat and bat. Get that triple ton, hell go for Lara's record.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I suppose the counterpoint to our argument is that you'd have to bowl pretty poorly for an extended period of time to fail to defend 350 runs. Which is somewhat true, but then I thought we bowled pretty well for most of the 4th innings in Auckland and they still reached 360, and this pitch is probably more of a road now than Eden Park was on day 4.
Yes they did get 360 though in 96 overs.

Wonder how Neesham feels - big pressure when he comes in. There was a tongue in cheek comment before on the radio that Neesham must be the most exhausted of the lot from waiting to bat - you can't really relax.

Last edited: