• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

Blocky

Banned
How ugly are most of the actions of our domestic spinners? Sheesh, makes me want to come out of retirement and dust off my offies and carom.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
What has happened to Wightman? He was only 18, got some decent results in his few games, where on earth is he?

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Good work Kippax, much appreciated.

Cole McConchie is an omission.

As a Tastle fan, I should hunt down one of his PS wickets that first got me do excited, from 2 seasons ago, so much drift then turn.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Why is Lance Dry in that? He doesn't turn it :laugh:
Even if I trimmed it down to 20 guys, Dry would still make it easily. One of the four or five most talked-about spinners in this thread tbh.

Hesson and Kippax will discuss Ashton Turner via email ftr. Something needs to be done, and he's obvs the right man in the right place these days.

Coach gets kudos for Otago's revival
WORTHINGTON, SamView Profile. Dominion Post [Wellington, New Zealand] 28 Feb 2009

BACK in 2005, Ross Dykes' first move as the new Otago Cricket chief executive was hiring Mike Hesson as his coach. Together the hard-working pair have set about turning the Volts from easybeats into the best limited- overs side in the land.

The crowning glory would be victory over Canterbury in tomorrow's domestic Twenty20 final in Dunedin, the quaint University Oval potentially the launching pad for a berth in October's lucrative Champions League in India.

Asked to reflect on Otago's new-found cricketing prowess - Twenty20 home finalists, State Shield runners-up and last year's champions - Dykes wastes no time in singing the praises of New Zealand A coach Hesson.

"My first day at work I confirmed his appointment," said Dykes, a former New Zealand selector. "I think a huge amount of credit has to go to Mike Hesson because he's very, very under-rated as a coach in my opinion. He's a very thoughtful guy, he's a great planner, he has a good rapport with players. I just have great admiration for him and he's just got that knack of being able to use players to his best advantage and get the best out of them. And he's pretty astute in the way he's recruited overseas players."

Under Hesson, Otago struck gold in Englishman Jonathan Trott and got reasonable service from compatriot Alex Gidman. This season South African quick Neil Wagner and England all- rounder Dimitri Mascarenhas have both excelled.

Though Hesson has clearly struck a chord in the limited- overs game, with sharp fielding and running between the wickets a feature, Otago continue to struggle in four-dayers, their best finish third in 2005-6.

Dykes said there was no particular focus on the coloured clothing versions.

"To be honest I just think it's panned out that way. I don't think Mike's had a deliberate policy of trying to concentrate on the one-day game, he's desperate to win the four-day competition as well. I think the sort of players we've got have responded well though to Mike's style of playing cricket."

Hesson has a strong right- hand man in his captain Craig Cumming, one of the most respected and intelligent players in the country.

GingerBreadMan

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah, I've faced him once a couple of years ago, I played for turn but it turns out he never turns the ball, don't see how he's always picks up club wickets