• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Some shenanigans from Canterbury at the end of the Otago game. After waiting for four hours for the rain to clear, with Otago needing just 40-odd to win, after a couple of overs Van Beek comes on and bowls - in the space of an over - 5 wides, another wide, a no ball that goes for four, then allows Wells to hit a 4, a 6 and a 4 off him to concede 26 for the over and lets Wells reach his ton. No one knows why the **** they did it, but it once again proves Canterbury is full of ****s. Someone I know who was there was far from convinced it wasn't deliberate.
ITSTL. I wondered what had happened at the end of that game. I can't see the benefit to Canterbury of having done that deliberately though. Most odd.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Wells is a pretty bloody good player isn't he? Feel a bit for him that we have Neesham and Anderson taking the all rounder slots because I'd have him in most NZ teams of the last 5 years or so.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Black Caps Openers Opt Out Of Practice Match Against... | Stuff.co.nz

The New Zealand XI game against India has been further dumbed down by Hamish Rutherford's decision to join fellow test opener Peter Fulton in withdrawing from the two-day match.

On Sunday, Black Caps coach Mike Hesson talked about what a wonderful opportunity the February 2-3 game in Whangarei presented for Fulton and Rutherford to assess the Indian attack.

But later that day, Fulton had pulled the pin and now Rutherford's followed suit, with the pair preferring to play for their Plunket Shield provinces.

Canterbury's George Worker has been called in as one replacement, with New Zealand Cricket's (NZC) general manager national selection, Bruce Edgar, saying the other needs to first pass a fitness test.

The whole affair has a shambolic look about it, with the right hand of NZC not appearing to know what the left's doing. It always had the potential to be a glorified open wicket practice and if the two test players named in the New Zealand XI squad didn't fancy participating in it, then NZC ought to have known that before they were included.

Edgar said yesterday that Fulton and Rutherford were belatedly given the choice of playing and that Fulton, particularly, didn't feel he'd get anything out of being in Whangarei.

"He also played in the New Zealand XI game against the West Indies [at Lincoln in November] and felt, perhaps, the intensity wasn't quite there," Edgar said.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
That hyphen isn't correct, he had forefathers who were getting into agribusiness at early ages. "Trying things" that would make McCullum blush, probably.
Surname Database: Younghusband Last Name Origin

This Peter Younghusband is a Zimbabwean-born Nelson player apparently, hoping there might be a gap in the market for some leg spin, once Jeets and Woodcock cbf.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
ITSTL. I wondered what had happened at the end of that game. I can't see the benefit to Canterbury of having done that deliberately though. Most odd.

Tbh Otago has bowled big defensive wides on the last afternoon of two PS games this season, just a bit better than that. Denied ND, failed to deny Wgtn.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
If I don’t get chance here, I’ll move to New Zealand: Joon - Indian Express

After playing 12 first-class games from 2004 to 2010, former Ranji player Deepak Joon is running out of patience. His successful cricketing stint in New Zealand and an offer from the club he played for there — Wellington Collegians — means Joon will make one final attempt to be an Indian first class cricketer once again this season.

After he was shown the doors by Haryana, Joon spent considerbale time in New Zealand, where he shared the dressing room with Kiwi international James Franklin.

"I want to try for a final time since I have done well in the club season. But at the same time if I don't play first class cricket this season, I will be travelling to New Zealand," said Joon.

His tryst with Collegians started after he failed to hold onto his place in the Haryana side. He surprised many, including himself, as he went onto score in the excess of 300 runs and was also adjudged best batsman of the side.

His most cherished memory playing for Collegians was his match-winning partnerhsip with Franklin in a vital game. "It was special. That season I scored 340 runs for the club in 5 games which included a century and an unbeaten 76. I made the most of my time there," Joon said.

In 2008 he switched allegiance to the Jammu & Kashmir side as a professional player. But things failed to go his way as he never made it to the playing eleven.

With no competitive cricket under his belt, Joon again flew to Wellington and scored runs for the team. With two successful stints, the Collegians management made him an offer to play the first-class season. "The club after assessing my performance offered me to join," he said.

Joon had been scoring heavily during Delhi's various tournaments, including the Hot Weather. And hence the optimism to prolong his domestic career. "I am not done yet. But I have my option open. So if I fail to cement my place, I will surely move to New Zealand," Joon says.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Boult is back but no Vettori, he must be back in the country but I guess he was not fit enough

What injury has Henry picked up. The Canterbury bowling looks very week without Bennett and Henry

EDIT: Just realised he has been called up for the last ODI

Last edited:

vandem

International 12th Man
Wellington with same frontline bowlers of Gillespie / Arnel / McKay / Patel for 7th FC game in a row. Probably some kind of record.

khodder

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Brad Wilson has to get the flick soon right? Last 7 FC scores; 0, 33, 18, 15, 9, 6, 0; 81 Runs @ a shade over 11.

Joe Carter at 3 has been a defacto opener all season long. Move him up a spot to open I'd back Popli or Mitchell at 3 then get Hampton or Hickey into that middle order.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Wellington with same frontline bowlers of Gillespie / Arnel / McKay / Patel for 7th FC game in a row. Probably some kind of record.
The only changes in the entire side all season has been at wicket keeper Ronchi/Colson/Blundell and dropping Brodie when Elliott returned from Sri Lanka.

14 Players in total over 7 games, when ND has used at least 20.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
What injury has Henry picked up. The Canterbury bowling looks very week without Bennett and Henry

EDIT: Just realised he has been called up for the last ODI
Ah that's a relief. Was dismayed at first when I saw no Henry in the Canterbury team

Even if we give McCone credit for being one of the top wicket-takers in last year's PS, that Canterbury attack today is all kinds of horrible. Needs another Shanan Stewart special.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Speaking of horrible, no McIntosh today for Auckland so Kitchen moves up and the all-rounders start with Munro at 4, down to Grobbelaar at 7 :blink:. They'll probably get away with it though as playing at EPOO.

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
Speaking of horrible, no McIntosh today for Auckland so Kitchen moves up and the all-rounders start with Munro at 4, down to Grobbelaar at 7 :blink:. They'll probably get away with it though as playing at EPOO.
Sounds about right. Auckland scared to bring new batsmen into the side as usual.