• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2013/14

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha at some of Dhoni's quotes:

"What will we do with the new ball?" Dhoni asked. "Can't swing it. Who will bowl the 25 overs to get it to reverse? [Ravindra] Jadeja won't be effective because it's hard and new, so you have to see what your strength is and take a decision. No point. Yes it [the match] started on the 26th, it's Christmas time, but I am not Santa to let them score freely, and say, 'We won't bat for four sessions, we are ready to bat for six sessions.' It's about strategy and what works for you."

"The more Test matches that you play, you get more experience," Dhoni said. "This side, overall you talk about making some recipe, all the ingredients are there. This series we didn't cook the food well. But apart from that we have got fantastic ingredients. Just have to make sure we are cooking the right way. Overall, 15-17 member squad is looked good; batting looked good, bowlers worked hard. When something was on offer, in Johannesburg, they were able to get the opposition out. Good exposure for most of the batsmen and bowlers who were touring for the first time."

Maximum

Cricket Spectator
A lot of people are saying India did better than what was expected of them, but given the fact that the test match pitches were similar to those of subcontinent's (I have feelings BCCI had role in that), I don't think India exceeded the expectations.
To those who are questioning Dhoni's captaincy, who should be the captain? and why?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
We were a bee's dick/SA having some balls away from being 2-0 down too. As I said earlier, its almost scary that India could play so above expectation, and really dominate large parts of both tests, and be so close to losing 2-0.

South Africa are an incredible cricket team really.
Yeah I agree but South Africa also weren't far away from losing the first test. Not quite bee's dick, but I think 1-0 is a pretty accurate reflection of the series, tbh.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
I don't see Dhoni lasting out 2014 in tests (considering he has already mentioned retiring from the format), and I don't see anyone in the team who can be captain. Kohli is the best possible candidate but I feel he is not ready yet. One thing he can learn from Dhoni is the calmness he exudes in crunch situations. Do not see Kohli as a captain keeping his nerves in the Jo'berg test. Hopefully 2014 is the year Kohli grows.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Dhoni seems to accept mediocrity more than Kohli does though. Kohli seemed pretty ****ty that his bowlers were too hackish to bowl India to victory in Johannesburg. Dhoni's just pragmatic about it I guess.

I agree Dhoni's calmness is great, particularly considering the **** he must face from selectors and other vested interests. But I liked the fact that Kohli seemed disgusted in the fact that India couldn't bowl South Africa out on the last day of Johannesburg. Sure you don't have to be visibly angry to care about the result. I'm sure Pujara was hurting too despite his calm demeanour. But I don't see too much of an issue with Kohli's passion.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
I agree about Dhoni accepting mediocirty. Seeing him not getting the new ball just got on my nerves. At least give them a chance to fail when your current plan is not working.

With Kohli, I don't fault his passion. I just doubt if he has it in him, right now, to set aside the excitement/nervousness when taking the crunch decisions. Seems to get too involved at times. Would love to be proven wrong bu Kohli though.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah that's fair. I think its inevitable that he'll become captain (see my custom title :ph34r:) so he'll learn plenty over the next 12 months touring overseas in NZ, Eng and then Aust again.

Having said that I was on the record as saying that Mohammed Kaif was a lock for future Indian captain, and that one didn't quite work out :laugh:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Johannesburg pitch was similar in term of being flat.
Ashwin couldn't buy a wicket on the last day - doesn't sound like an Indian pitch to me.

Also 280 all out followed by 244 all out in the first innings suggests it wasn't a flat wicket. It got easier to bat on, sure, but there were balls jumping from a length and taking the shoulder of the bat. That's not an Indian wicket.

cricketmogul

Cricket Spectator
We were a bee's dick/SA having some balls away from being 2-0 down too. As I said earlier, its almost scary that India could play so above expectation, and really dominate large parts of both tests, and be so close to losing 2-0.

South Africa are an incredible cricket team really.
SA should never had a chance of winning in Joberg, if india had bowled as well on day 5 as they did on day 3. I think dhoni was taken by surprise to have been in the position of setting SA at home 400 odd to win - and he made a hash of it. Which is why I said they are a very immature/unprepared team right now - I imagine that Ganguly as captain would have grabbed the opportunity with both hands and choked life out of SA in joberg, as he did famously against Australia etc in the past. dhoni is an awful captain when bold decisions have to be made to press for the win. I think vs lessor team, like WI for instance he could have got away with ambling along and come away with the win, but SA didn't reach No1 position by accident. they showed more heart than india in the end.

cricketmogul

Cricket Spectator
Johannesburg pitch was similar in term of being flat.
don't know what game you were watching- unanimously wanderers pitch was commentated as being as fast and spiteful as always. so much so it made ishant sharma a handful for a change . it did flatten out somewhat via the heavy roller on day 5 it seemd, but indian bowlers also seemd out of puff by then

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
SA should never had a chance of winning in Joberg, if india had bowled as well on day 5 as they did on day 3. I think dhoni was taken by surprise to have been in the position of setting SA at home 400 odd to win - and he made a hash of it. Which is why I said they are a very immature/unprepared team right now - I imagine that Ganguly as captain would have grabbed the opportunity with both hands and choked life out of SA in joberg, as he did famously against Australia etc in the past. dhoni is an awful captain when bold decisions have to be made to press for the win. I think vs lessor team, like WI for instance he could have got away with ambling along and come away with the win, but SA didn't reach No1 position by accident. they showed more heart than india in the end.
Good post, agree with most of it. I'm on record for like the last 3 years that Dhoni makes massive blunders as captain - but other than bowling Shami more (which was a huge blunder), I don't think he did too much wrong as captain on day 5. I think his bowlers let him down massively. I mean he kept attacking even in the last session with Ashwin. I was shocked by that, normally he'd have given up by tea.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I agree about Dhoni accepting mediocirty. Seeing him not getting the new ball just got on my nerves. At least give them a chance to fail when your current plan is not working.

With Kohli, I don't fault his passion. I just doubt if he has it in him, right now, to set aside the excitement/nervousness when taking the crunch decisions. Seems to get too involved at times. Would love to be proven wrong bu Kohli though.
Graeme Smith was very passionate and emotional as a young captain. He had one series in which Fleming recognised it and exploited it, but he learnt his lesson.

I don't really think there's anyone else in world cricket being capable of such a calculated move, tbh. Think Kohli would be fine relatively early.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Good post, agree with most of it. I'm on record for like the last 3 years that Dhoni makes massive blunders as captain - but other than bowling Shami more (which was a huge blunder), I don't think he did too much wrong as captain on day 5. I think his bowlers let him down massively. I mean he kept attacking even in the last session with Ashwin. I was shocked by that, normally he'd have given up by tea.
yeah blaming Dhoni for the day 5 capitulation is shooting the messenger. He did all he could, was aggressive as he could be. Ashwin was the major let down, and I hate to say I told you so but...had Ojha been playing I think India would have won rather easily. Of course, easy to say that in hindsight but yeah...Ashwin never even looked threatening.

Maximum

Cricket Spectator
India 280 all out was due to good bowling and poor batting but the SA 244 in first inning was more of the fluke from Indian side. Had SA not lost 5 wickets in space of 6-7 overs, they would have scored at least 450 in first innings as well.