• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2013/14

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Graeme Smith was very passionate and emotional as a young captain. He had one series in which Fleming recognised it and exploited it, but he learnt his lesson.
The back of my head remembers this but I can't pinpoint exactly what you are referring to. Which series was this?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
India 280 all out was due to good bowling and poor batting but the SA 244 in first inning was more of the fluke from Indian side. Had SA not lost 5 wickets in space of 6-7 overs, they would have scored at least 450 in first innings as well.
Haha, okay gonna stop here. Can't debate/discuss with you if you have that reasoning.

Shri

Mr. Glass
TBH, they're mostly just trying to find a replacement for Kallis and still maintain a good balance in their side.

How do you replace an ATG all-rounder? It's the selectorial equivalent of trying to push **** up hill with a pointy stick.
Nah not just that. They need to slot in Abbott instead of someone else as well.

Shri

Mr. Glass
yeah blaming Dhoni for the day 5 capitulation is shooting the messenger. He did all he could, was aggressive as he could be. Ashwin was the major let down, and I hate to say I told you so but...had Ojha been playing I think India would have won rather easily. Of course, easy to say that in hindsight but yeah...Ashwin never even looked threatening.
There was only slight turn on day 5 that day and not enough bounce, compared to Durban where there was dust coming off as the ball turned turned sharply. I don't think it was possible for any spinner to look threatening on that pitch unless they bowled a lot quicker, like Kumble or Afridi. And Ojha would have looked toothless as well since he actually bowls slower than Ashwin.

Flem274*

123/5
The back of my head remembers this but I can't pinpoint exactly what you are referring to. Which series was this?
2004 SA in NZ. One of the very few times Fleming has sledged. John Bracewell tipped him off and Fleming gave it a go, felt ridiculous but when he saw it work he kept it up.

smash84

The Tiger King
Am I the only one who finds Dhoni's post match conferences extremely irritating? He just can't ever seem to give the opposition as much credit as they deserve. The biggest reason I probably don't like Dhoni as much as I probably would have.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
I guess the best bowler to compare him with would be Johan Botha. Not in terms of action, but in terms of bowling style, as such. Offie, gets a bit of turn, quite accurate, fairly offensive but not Murali/Ajmal esque.
Why is Botha not selected for tests? Looks like a pretty good option, his attacking bowling style and ability to bowl accurately when there is not much purchase from the wicket makes him a versatile option. And he can also bat.

Last edited:

karan316

State Vice-Captain
A lot of people are saying India did better than what was expected of them, but given the fact that the test match pitches were similar to those of subcontinent's (I have feelings BCCI had role in that), I don't think India exceeded the expectations.
To those who are questioning Dhoni's captaincy, who should be the captain? and why?
Did you really watch the matches?

Maximum

Cricket Spectator
Am I the only one who finds Dhoni's post match conferences extremely irritating? He just can't ever seem to give the opposition as much credit as they deserve. The biggest reason I probably don't like Dhoni as much as I probably would have.
This, plus the fact the BCCI flexing its muscles every where are the reasons I am hesitant to give Indian player credit most of the times.

To those saying Ashwin let Dhoni down on day 5 in first test, Ashwin has never been threatening outside of India. if I remember correctly, out of his 100 wickets, 95 are in India.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
This, plus the fact the BCCI flexing its muscles every where are the reasons I am hesitant to give Indian player credit most of the times.
Do you realise how **** this attitude is?

Just read what you said. Carefully.

Because I don't like a cricket board and a captain, I am going to manufacture made up **** to discredit other players in the team.

This is a cricket forum, not a place where you try and balance the world somehow by not calling things as you see it, and trying to bag India even when they perform reasonably well because Dhoni apparently doesn't speak well in press conferences.