• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Daemon learns to cricket

Shri

Mr. Glass
Hahahaha, here you were giving me **** about being another stupid Victorian but you've been playing and following cricket for 5 years OK. Been playing 30 years calling the kettle Black or what. Next time you say **** to me it better be something worthy. 5 years hahaha, my 6 year old has been playing 5 years in the back yard.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So thats twice now you have said **** and I replied with a comeback and I got the infraction notice. Poor form mate especially about being a father which is the greatest gift in life.
Yeah, you shouldn't have been infracted imo, I started the whole thing after all.

What are your opinions on Brad Hodge?

Bushranger

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah, you shouldn't have been infracted imo, I started the whole thing after all.

What are your opinions on Brad Hodge?
Pretty much one of our greatest batsmen in the last 20 years to hardly play test cricket as Ponting never liked him I know this as one of my close friends brother played with him at melbourne in district great guy also. If he was in his prime now he would be our best and most gifted player.

Bushranger

School Boy/Girl Captain
Oh daemon since this is a thread about technique and since you asked me about Brad Hodge. The two best techniques I have seen and would give any advice to a young batsmen coming through. Left hander Matty Hayden right hander Brad Hodge. But In loved the weird ness and power of Gillies that high grip at the top of the handle and the power. Jacque Kallis is also brilliant technique wise.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Oh daemon since this is a thread about technique and since you asked me about Brad Hodge. The two best techniques I have seen and would give any advice to a young batsmen coming through. Left hander Matty Hayden right hander Brad Hodge. But In loved the weird ness and power of Gillies that high grip at the top of the handle and the power. Jacque Kallis is also brilliant technique wise.
I wouldn't say Hodge or Hayden had the "best" techniques. Both had some issues. I think your call on Kallis is correct, and if you want to see a good technique just look at Tendulkar.

benchmark00

In "30 years of playing/watching cricket" the two people with the best technique you've seen are Brad Hodge and Matthew Hayden?

well...

benchmark00

That's true but I'd say that a technique is only as poor as the oppositions ability exploit the weakness (hope noone takes that personally).

You can have a very strange technique but if an opposition is not able to produce something to exploit that weakness then the technique is perfect against the opposition.

In test cricket, the skills of the bowlers are so high that any marginal weakness in technique will, or should be, exploited.

That's why Tendulkar had such a good career and was so successful. Noone could consistently find a flaw in his technique to exploit. Same with why Bell was so good in the last series.

Top_Cat

Not suggesting it isn't very strong predictor but the focus on it to the exclusion of the mental side is what I'm getting at, I guess. There are guys playing grade cricket who have the technical chops to be playing Tests but are missing other facets to the game which mean they'll stay there.

Bushranger

School Boy/Girl Captain
In "30 years of playing/watching cricket" the two people with the best technique you've seen are Brad Hodge and Matthew Hayden?

well...
Yeah at the start he had a flawed technique I agree but his flaws after years became his strengths and I remember Oh Hayden has trouble with spin then he made his sweep shot so good in India the spinners had no answer.
At the start he always got out LBW then after years of practice I have never seen a man drive the ball with such power and grace.

It was Great watch.
Matthew Hayden Best Batting Highlights.flv - YouTube
Matthew Hayden - Straight Hits Compilation - YouTube
6 6 6 6 6 6 6 Arrogance & Power of Matthew Hayden - YouTube
Seriously that technique is amazing.

Bushranger

School Boy/Girl Captain
Technique is so ****ing over-rated as a predictor of success.
Thats it everyone should bat how the most feel comfortable. I mean Gilchrist grip was just weird but it bloody well worked. Lara's choking of the bat worked great for him when most coach will tell you to relax your hands he gripped like he was choking someone neck. Every stance grip can change and I agree with you. Its how the adjust to something that is causing them to go out is the difference between good batsmen and great batsmen.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Just watching Anwar Ali bowling with a scrambled seam when the ball is new. Why would bowlers do that?
Do you mean cross seam? Could be any number of reasons - control the swing and hit his areas with greater ease, try and get a 'pop' of a length etc Personally I hold the ball cross seam when my action doesn't feel comfortable and the ball isn't coming out quite right. Holding the ball cross seam feels far more comfortable and secure than seam up. Having the ball comfortable and secure in your hand means you can hit the other phases of your action 100% with few doubts or worries.

indiaholic

International Captain
Agarkar and Manjrekar while discussing the probable squad for India's tour to SA felt that Kohli and Sharma had much better techniques to adapt to SA conditions vis a vis Pujara. Are there any glaring technical weaknesses that he has?

Daemon

Why are guys like Tsotsobe, McKay, Mills and Perera so successful bowling their up and down pies in ODI cricket?