• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How many runs will Alastair Cook score in the 2013/14 Ashes?

How many runs will Alastair Cook score in the 2013/14 Ashes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spark

Global Moderator
ponting set deep **** fields and clearly told them to bowl short. i will hear nothing otherwise. else he is as thick as two bricks putting fields to **** bowling
Yeah I remember tearing my hair out at how quickly deep square leg became a constant thing. A few people here even started to make jokes about it, so common were my complaints.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Deep point also iirc. That whole argument about modern players getting themselves out if denied boundaries.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
That argument is a strange one to apply to Trott and Cook especially isn't it.
Tbf, they never really came under any scoreboard pressure last time. Both players, particularly Trott, have shown they're susceptible to poor shots if the score stops moving the last two home summers.

91Jmay

International Coach
Tbf, they never really came under any scoreboard pressure last time. Both players, particularly Trott, have shown they're susceptible to poor shots if the score stops moving the last two home summers.
That's exactly my point. They don't care about hitting boundaries if they are moving the score along.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah but you can't on the one hand say "stick a third man in for Bell because he scores a lot of runs there" but then expect a captain to ignore it when his bowlers dish up **** and keep gettin ghit square of the wicket. It's all right for the captain to tell his blokes not to bowl there, but the fact is they did. And when they didn't they were innocuous. I remember standing and clapping Hilf when he bowled his 500th swinging-from-the-hand-and-harmless outswinger.

IIRC that was day three in Adelaide.

uvelocity

International Coach
burgey you don't set fields to bad bowling. the difference with bell is he is able to manipulate good bowling to 3rd man for easy boundaries. that's what requires plugging. if a bowler is bowing poo and won't pitch the thing up, you take the **** off.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
burgey you don't set fields to bad bowling. the difference with bell is he is able to manipulate good bowling to 3rd man for easy boundaries. that's what requires plugging. if a bowler is bowing poo and won't pitch the thing up, you take the **** off.
Easier said than done when they're all bowling poo.

benchmark00

The 'don't set fields to bad bowling' argument is an argument that you teach kanga cricket players. If you look beyond that little cliche you might get an answer.

flibbertyjibber

The one thing that surprised me most was that Ponting didn't bowl himself if only to get 2-3 overs tight then turn round and say there that's how you do it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The 'don't set fields to bad bowling' argument is an argument that you teach kanga cricket players. If you look beyond that little cliche you might get an answer.
Yeah exactly. You set fields to cover your bowler's margin of error when executing their plan.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Some of this talk about stopping Bell via a third man is cute.

Perhaps Bell played so many shots down there cause there wasn't a third man.

Crazy thought, but batsmen do occasionally aim for unoccupied areas of the field ...