• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to India in England 2014

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
5 Tests is excellent, but quite how we are able to give 5 Tests to this series and not 5 Tests to South Africa last summer, which was set up as one of the biggest Test Series for some time with the (at the time quite clearly) top two teams in the world is frustrating. For that series to have only 3 Tests was a travesty.
Because India matches bring in that sweet sweet smell of money. Too bad SA (board and fans) don't support the form of cricket they're clearly the best in. At least Indian fans will pay big bucks to watch their favorite walking wicket

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Dude, we get that you think Sachin is playing for too long.. But you dont have to refer to it every single post.. It is getting tiresome.. And Sachin did make 80 odd not 4 tests ago..

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Dude, we get that you think Sachin is playing for too long.. But you dont have to refer to it every single post.. It is getting tiresome.. And Sachin did make 80 odd not 4 tests ago..
80 out of 570 that was, he has been mediocre for some time now

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Well Done for misrepresenting the situation. He actually looked pretty decent against fast bowlers in that series but had trouble against the spinners.

1st Test: India v Australia at Chennai, Feb 22-26, 2013 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

In that match, when he got out, score was 196-4
The game was very balanced even after the loss of the 7th wicket, but Dhoni then played his career defining innings with the tail to change it all around.

It's one thing to say that Tendulkar is now a mediocre player, completely another to bring him down as well with whatever means.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
twas a good innings, but the fact that it was 4 tests ago and out of a big total undermines it somewhat. Tendulkar isn't in form, as for the pace bowlers theory I recall him struggling against the NZ bowlers as well. Since his 80 odd at the SCG (which was probably not as good as his 70 odd at melbourne) I don't recall too many good innings that Sachin has played in tests recently.

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
That 50 against Pakistan in the Asia cup was the last time he looked fluent. His two fifties during the test home season were grinding.

I hope the wi is his last series. Come England it should be clear if Rohit, Rahane, or Manoj (or maybe someone else) is the settled number 4

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
That 50 against Pakistan in the Asia cup was the last time he looked fluent. His two fifties during the test home season were grinding.

I hope the wi is his last series. Come England it should be clear if Rohit, Rahane, or Manoj (or maybe someone else) is the settled number 4
Kohli should go to no 4 IMO

Dhawan
Vijay
Pujara
Kohli
Rohit
Rahane
Dhoni
Ashwin
B Kumar
someone else
Yadav

That looks good to me, although the rockstar is unlucky, I just don't see a role for a genuine second spinner who to me cannot bat outside the top 6, I'm very worried about his batting outside the SC.

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
A second spinner is still better than Ishant. I don't think Jadeja should be in the top 7, but Dhoni loves the idea of an all rounder in the side. I'd say Ashwin has more potential of becoming a genuine all rounder at 6 or 7, in which case play Ojha or Jadeja as well. But he needs to gain better control and stop bowling an atrocious middle and leg line from over the wicket. He seems to be improving in that dept though. Two spinners will make sense at OT and The Oval though

Until India can find four or five seamers aside from Ishant who can take wickets with the new ball and keep it tight with the old, it's going to be bloody hopeless. I say four or five because you know some will arrive in England pudgy and get injured. Zak/PK spring to mind. We'll see how Pandey and Dhawal go during Ranji this season. Pankaj Singh? ABI please

Rohit and Rahane have the game to succeed osc IMO.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
A second spinner is still better than Ishant. I don't think Jadeja should be in the top 7, but Dhoni loves the idea of an all rounder in the side.
I think he's a very horses for courses selector. He will not be that keen on Jadeja in England, I think.

I'm not convinced by a Dhawan-Vijay opening combo.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
tbh I find it hard to imagine Jadeja being much good with either discipline apart from on turning tracks,

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I think he's a very horses for courses selector. He will not be that keen on Jadeja in England, I think.

I'm not convinced by a Dhawan-Vijay opening combo.
Nor am I tbh, either Rahane or Pujara cold come into consideration however, Dhawan I'm pretty keen on but Vijay not so much

Flem274*

123/5
Jadeja likely offers more to the side than another so so pace bowler like Ishant, so I'd take him unless there is a pace bowler available who is (or might be) up to it.

Dhoni
Jadeja
Ashwin
Kumar
Yadav

is a strong looking lower order.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Could Praveen Kumar be a chance for the England tour? pretty effective bowler in those conditions. the problem is India don't have any pace options outside of the Kumar and Yadav in the rest of the team, in case more overs of pace are needed, could be risky selections depending on the wickets.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Could Praveen Kumar be a chance for the England tour? pretty effective bowler in those conditions. the problem is India don't have any pace options outside of the Kumar and Yadav in the rest of the team, in case more overs of pace are needed, could be risky selections depending on the wickets.
Praveen > BK anyway, dunno why he isn't in the test team anyway.

He seems to be on the outer with the Indian selectors for some reason. Dunno if they'll recall him.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
When was the last time anyone played 5 tests in a series that isn't the Ashes??

All for it but this is a bit out of the blue isn't it??

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Exhibit number 1 as to why not to judge an innings on the scorecard and potting an innings if the team scores a lot of runs.

That was a good innings from Sachin.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
When was the last time anyone played 5 tests in a series that isn't the Ashes??

All for it but this is a bit out of the blue isn't it??
Technically the West Indies-England series in 2009 was 5 Tests but that only became 5 Tests after the game at the Sir Viv Richards ground was abandoned.

In terms of proper 5 Test series the honour belongs to the South Africa v England series in 2004/05.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Exhibit number 1 as to why not to judge an innings on the scorecard and potting an innings if the team scores a lot of runs.

That was a good innings from Sachin.
oh ffs I had already said that, but the fact that it came 4 tests ago and was only 80 runs means it's quickly losing its relevance.