• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand A Tour of India and Sri Lanka

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
Jagadeesh? you are kidding me?! must have family connects to the selection board or something.

Jiwanjot gets dropped out but Unmukt is kept in the squad? Jiwanjot better not be fit or available, because Unmukt's selection is questionable enough.
Nice to see Dhawal doing well; he has the tools to do well but a little more consistency would be nice.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Jagadeesh had a very good 2012-13 Ranji season, and is fifth on the list of run-scorers. Out of the top five, everyone bar Parthiv Patel is playing, so it's not entirely lobbying that's got him here. It's one good season.

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
Jagadeesh had a very good 2012-13 Ranji season, and is fifth on the list of run-scorers. Out of the top five, everyone bar Parthiv Patel is playing, so it's not entirely lobbying that's got him here. It's one good season.
If you're playing in Group C, standards have to be higher than one good season. I suspect it has more to do with Vijay Hazare trophy performances...which really shouldn't be worth shelling out a spot in India A over

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
A team =/= 2nd XI. You pick a combination of recent performers along with 'project players' to try and aid their development. They see something in Unmukt Chand, and given what he's done in U19 cricket and his limited FC exposure, there's no problem IMO with doing everything possible to try and develop him into a future Test player.

Ultimately, nobody gives two ****s about who wins or loses an A team series - what they do care about is coming out of it with players better and more experienced than they were (why else do you think NZ is playing such an unbalanced side - they really want the likes of Latham, Astle, Sodhi, Anderson and Neesham given every chance to develop, even at the expense of team balance).

Gowza

U19 12th Man
jiwanjot was worth another run, got the numbers backing him, didn't completely fail last match, don't see much point of playing him for just one match, if you're going to give a player a go then give them a decent chance.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
A team =/= 2nd XI. You pick a combination of recent performers along with 'project players' to try and aid their development. They see something in Unmukt Chand, and given what he's done in U19 cricket and his limited FC exposure, there's no problem IMO with doing everything possible to try and develop him into a future Test player.

Ultimately, nobody gives two ****s about who wins or loses an A team series - what they do care about is coming out of it with players better and more experienced than they were (why else do you think NZ is playing such an unbalanced side - they really want the likes of Latham, Astle, Sodhi, Anderson and Neesham given every chance to develop, even at the expense of team balance).
Yeah spot on. I made a similar post not long ago.

Flem274*

123/5
In the very long history of hilariously unbalanced New Zealand XIs, I think the one playing right now is a contender for number one.

This line of thinking is wrong imo. The most important experience A team players can get is the confidence of destroying a side from another country. They prove to themselves they can make it at a higher level than first class cricket and importantly, all the nice developmental positives you want from the players happen automatically through wins. You can't win without players doing something good, so your line of thinking is imo redundant. If they play well they are likely to win anyway, but to have the best chance of playing well and winning you need to select teams and team balances with at least a nod to reality.

The current top six in this game aren't a hope in hell of winning this match unless the bowlers save their bacon because Broom isn't an opener, Latham is new to opening, Ronchi isn't a number four and Devcich should be in the Hawke Cup. One experiment is fine but having about twelve experiments in the top six at any one time is both detrimental to the team performance and the development of the individual players.

Teams develop by winning and to do that you need to get the best out of your eleven. This is especially important for a near minnow like New Zealand. Winners need to be the next cabs off the rank, not the results of this mess of a top six.

EDIT: In effect NZ A and the Australian Ashes sides are doing the same thing: shifting deck chairs on the replica of the titantic called "Instant Gratification".

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
We keep piling on Anderson for his technique and his sporadic Plunket success but he's happily belted three fifties so far at A level in two games, and against a useful England touring party attack as well.

I hope he converts here.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
If you're playing in Group C, standards have to be higher than one good season. I suspect it has more to do with Vijay Hazare trophy performances...which really shouldn't be worth shelling out a spot in India A over
This whole Group C tag has often been a tool of abuse, because the competition in Group C or the erstwhile Plate league was and may still be a lot tougher than the top tier, where teams just play out draws and pinch lead points. Stat sheets and most news reports don't tell you how tough the competition is in the lower league. News agencies avoid the Group C or Plate league because it's not as glamorous.

For a long time, a Gujarat (top tier but for one season) wicketkeeper was India's first choice, but at a cost- they never fielded a full Test XI and his batting, a cause for his selection, was still not good enough for ODIs so excess pressure was applied on Dravid's knees. The Indian team had to carry that little boy around. Now you have a wicketkeeper from Plate league/Tier 3 team (Jharkhand) who's capable with bat and gloves, is more or less the single best, and actually carries the team ahead.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
We keep piling on Anderson for his technique and his sporadic Plunket success but he's happily belted three fifties so far at A level in two games, and against a useful England touring party attack as well.

I hope he converts here.
My only issue I have with Anderson is theoritically he could be the next Jacob Oram, but he makes Jacob Oram look indestrictable as he just is so injury prone. I would like to see him succeed but I dont know if he will be physically capable of glaying greater than 20 test matches.

Mike5181

International Captain

I hope he converts here.
Still only 22 as well.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I see a lot more NZ interest in this thread. Kiwis really love their domestic cricket scene, don't they? I do hope we have more Ind/NZ reserves/futures cricket events on a regular basis- it's better for these forums :thumbs_up

About Praveen Kumar, let's also not make him into the sole saviour of the Indian pace attack, when he himself needs to be saved. Poor form over the past few seasons and repeated injuries virtually rules him out as an automatic selection, when lack of pace is (yet again) an area of weakness in the Indian attack. If he can run through teams in Ranji Trophy for two seasons in a row, secure a County contract and not get into rough fights anywhere along the way, and also score plenty of runs (I'd rather take a Pranky with a 22 run average than a Pranky with a 2-12 run average) like Kyle Abbott or Simon Harmer from SA, or some of the NZ-A bowlers, and also improve his fielding to the level of his SA/NZ/Aussie counterparts, he may be in line for a place in the national team again. But that's a long wishlist.

About Ishwar Pandey, IPL's apparent irrelevance notwithstanding, Ranji Trophy does not give you Chris Gayle or David Warner or Kumar Sangakkara. It doesn't even give you the best Indian batsmen, who are touring or hosting when the tournament is going on. I wouldn't want Ishwar Pandey, at this moment, bowling to a top international batsman on a flat deck, because he'd either go wicketless for long periods in a Test like Ishant in Australia last time, or get pounded out of the match without finishing his stock in limited-overs. But one more season, with knowledge picked up in A-team tours and facing visiting teams, will make him a better player- and two, even better.

While Pankaj Singh should get more chances for India A, it shouldn't be in a tournament where the average age and experience is very low. He has, anyway, done well for India A, better than he has for Rajasthan. It's anybody's guess when Umesh will break down again, when selectors' patience with Ishant runs out (or his ODI luck flips against him), when the man from Lagaan eventually runs out of tricks, so Pankaj isn't really out of it- and shouldn't be.

Even as I type, the batsmen who can bowl for India A are getting milked merrily by the NZ-A batsmen, while the strike bowlers rest. Since India-A have stretched their batting all the way down to ten, I'd expect this to be either a tame draw or a hard-fought draw, but a win is unlikely.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
So Devcich can't buy a run in the Plunket Shield but he can stand up during an NZ A collapse in foreign territory.

I still hope he isn't close to the national team but beggars can't be choosers in the context of this match. Hopefully when we read about today's play it will be very complimentary towards his support of Anderson, and not full of "he was dropped five times and somehow stayed out there" etc.

But srsly where did this come from. Good on him for making 50.

Flem274*

123/5
I see a lot more NZ interest in this thread. Kiwis really love their domestic cricket scene, don't they? I do hope we have more Ind/NZ reserves/futures cricket events on a regular basis- it's better for these forums :thumbs_up
It's about the only competition we play in where we're favourites.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Still only 22 as well.
Hah, it's hilarious to think that given that he's been on CW's radar since about 2007. Hell, I think I was getting excited over Anderson even before I knew who Southee was. I don't really care about his supposed technical frailties, those can be ironed out if he can just stay on the park for long enough. The guy is a gem. I think JimmyGS once said that in terms of raw batting ability, Anderson towered over all of his u19 contemporaries, including KW.

EDIT: And he's out. Still, he got to his hundred at least.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
I think Jimmy said cleanest striker iirc, but Anderson definitely has some serious hand eye and a level head. Hopefully he can come through and adapt.

Devcich nearing his maiden ton. He has been an unlikely hero with the bat in this innings.

Most importantly it means ND will give him 10 games this season.:ph34r:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Devcich trolling you all...nah good on him.

I'm going to reiterate that Latham shouldn't be captain. He shouldn't even be captain of his domestic side. The guy has serious batting talent. We don't want to end up with another underachiever. Batting, batting, batting should be his focus. Forget the keeping too.

Flem274*

123/5
Tbf Tom Latham is the only New Zealander to skipper a New Zealand side to victory against an England XI in the whites since 2002.