• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Solving Technical Problems (batting)

slowfinger

International Debutant
Hello everyone,

This year my cricket season has been a little dry with the bat, and I think a combination of technical glitches in my batting have contributed to me not being able to occupy time at the crease. Last week, I opened the batting for my team's 2nd XI and I occupied the crease for a little over 18 overs... Which isn't a bad thing in itself, bar the problem that I could only manage 9 runs. This scenario happens a lot and I tend to take a lot of time to get in and can't seem to keep ticking over. It not only hinders my mindset, it allows the bowlers to attack me and the team to suffer as the numbers to come have the pressure of upping the rate. As for my technique, it is fairly orthodox and I am strong off my legs and into the legside. I like to cut also but I tend not to in the opening overs as there are men there for the catch. I think my cover drive is really weak and every attempt of me trying to play it normally results in it going harmlessly to the fielder or getting caught. My offside play really lets me down I think and the sooner I can play confidently on the offside, the more complete my batting will be... It has resulted in me leaving most deliveries outside off and just waiting for a legside ball to put away, which happens rarely in this standard of cricket.

I realise that I am still only young (15) and have only just started playing adult's cricket properly but I think it isn't too difficult if I can just play more confidently. Is there anything I can do to find more ways to score on the off and push the rate? Thanks, will be much appreciated!

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Do you get a reasonable stride in when you play forward? And do you always cut in the air? Throw-downs in the nets working on getting a good stride in to allow you to drive on the off-side would be my approach...and working on rolling your wrist on the cut to get it going down. There are others in here who know more about this than me though.

If you're not going to cut and you can't drive on the off (do you drive on the on-side or is it just working it around off your legs?) then any decent bowler will work you out in an over and you'll get nothing. It sounds like this is already happening. It also sounds like you might be the next Alistair Cook :ph34r:

J_asonR

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
To combat playing the off side for the rest of the season you could just take your stance over to off stump or something like that.. From there you'll be able to play a ball that you'd normally block off to the off side and work it off your legs.. Also, foot movement, make sure you are moving your feet towards the ball and get your head over the top of the ball when it connects with the bat on your cover drive.. Start with a check drive and just punch the ball (with timing) through the off side, hopefully this will help.

In addition to this, get down the nets..

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To combat playing the off side for the rest of the season you could just take your stance over to off stump or something like that.. From there you'll be able to play a ball that you'd normally block off to the off side and work it off your legs.. Also, foot movement, make sure you are moving your feet towards the ball and get your head over the top of the ball when it connects with the bat on your cover drive.. Start with a check drive and just punch the ball (with timing) through the off side, hopefully this will help.

In addition to this, get down the nets..
That really is a bad suggestion itbt.

How to get LBW 101.

J_asonR

That really is a bad suggestion itbt.

How to get LBW 101.
If he's confident off his legs and doesn't seem to mention any issue with this, then I don't see why it's a bad suggestion? Rather that than letting the team down after 20 overs or so. And trust me, coming in at number 3 with 35 on the board after 20 over is not fun.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The last thing you should be advocating an opener to do against the new ball is work the ball with a minimal portion of the bat off the stumps. It's basically suicide. Yes Trott works to leg a lot but a) he's a bit of a freak and b) he waits for the right length to do so (bit short of a length so it's bouncing).

Instead, I would suggest as a 15 year old its rare to find a powerful driver with pure technique as the powerful strikers of the ball tend to be those oversized kids who use bottom hand. I would encourage you to maintain your shape in the shot and don't try and over hit the ball (have an inkling you're trying to do that, which gives you **** all chance of timing it). You will grow into your power as soon as you mature but you can't grow into a sound technique so try and time the ball instead of flogging it.

In terms of drills to do, go to the nets and get someone to kneel next to you and drop balls on a half volley length at a rapid pace so you can swing your arms through consistently (make sure your foot position is in the ready position so just your arms move). Focus on finishing the stroke, and by that I mean have a pronounced wrist flick at the end so your bat finishes over your left shoulder (assuming you're right handed). Do that for buckets of balls on end and eventually you'll find timing that you can bring into your proper play.

I wouldn't change much though.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting. I agree to an extent with moving to the off but not as a 15 yr old. For an experienced player who is tinkering with his game and can always go back to their solid, normal, developed stance then I would be for it. But not for a young player who doesnt have that foundation.

15 yr olds should be looking to develop their game to be the best 18 yr old possible. It isnt necessarily about being the best 15 yr old. Introducing quirks that may work in the short term are a bad idea in long term development.

In addition to the good suggestions in here, I would also have some relaxed nets away from a coach or captain where you can be more expansive and try different shots on the off without fear of looking silly and trying to impress. Slow scoring from leaving balls often comes from a lack of self expression and lack of confidence which, at a young age, can come from being slightly intimidated playing with older players and not wanting to let your self down.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Ok guys, thanks for the feedback. Played a 2nd XI game on Saturday and got 14 , but hit two 4's behind point, I think cutting is quite strong against medium/fast bowlers but again struggling to hit cover drives, which led to me getting caught at mid-off.

Played another game on Sunday for a sunday team, which were decent standard. I came in at 9 with 10 or so overs to go and hit 33, and the straight drive was very fruitful in that innings, as I managed to loft the ball over mid on twice for 4. At the moment I just take singles to the offside when I can, and wait for that Legside ball. I can video my batting in the nets and show you all if that would make it easier. Not got many matches left, so it would give me a while to go back into the indoors and tackle the problem.

J_asonR

Video's would probably help these lot work out how to help you! I will be doing the same thing tonight in my net session.

jonathanfs

Cricket Spectator
To be honest a lot of kids have problems scoring runs. I used to be puzzled when watching 14 or 15 year olds with a good technique failing but it's often pyschological as kids can get psyched out they can panick if there not scoring and they can throw away there wicket. Its impossible for anyone to really be able to suggest any technical changes without a video. Just keep working at it maybe if you need confidence drop down a team or have a word with the captain see if he can get you to open with someone very aggressive. I know when I was younger (I'm 18) that I always found it easier to when there was someone at the other end scoring well so I didn't feel I had to take any risks. Are you a right hand bat and whats your stance like( probably best solved with a video)

slowfinger

International Debutant
Did hit 53 for the second team last saturday, will show some examples with video when I get a chance

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To be honest mate, if you're opening then I'd be more concerned with waiting for the bad balls to hit and leaving well for at least the first 10 overs or so...or until you get yourself in. There aren't many guys who can stride to the crease and immediately crack cover drives for 4. Against a new ball early it's pretty hard to drive through covers, unless you get an absolute half volley. As a bowler, I'd be much happier seeing a bloke trying to hit cover drives early than I would bowling to a bloke who leaves really well and then picks off any bad balls.

I was pretty limited as a batsman (although driving was strength, and I use that term loosely), didn't play a pull shot and wasn't crash hot on the on side, but I tried to follow Bevan's advice and pick a couple of areas I could maybe score in early one if I got a bad ball and then expand on that when I got myself in. Problem was, I rarely stayed there long enough to get in :dry:

Batting does become a lot easier the longer you stay there though (normally), so I'd be working on staying in and scoring where you can and not worrying about what you can't do. As others have mentioned, I wouldn't make massive compromises like moving to an off-stump guard to attempt to increase the areas you score in though. All that will happen is a decent bowler will get you LBW 9/10 or work out that you still can't drive through off and adjust his line accordingly.

As you've identified a weakness you can now work on it in the nets. For the time being I'd just accept it exists in your game and not try to maximise short term results by introducing funky techniques to try to maximise scoring in a game. It'll come back to bite you on the arse later on.

Last edited: