• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at Chester-le-Street

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh and final thought (sorry can't resist). Stuart Broad is now only 0.3 runs from the best bowler in the world!!!
Wow, 11 wickets gets him that close to Steyn does it?

Only the England bowling coach and Wasim Akram say it and nobody believes them anyway. Steyn is clearly number 1.

flibbertyjibber

All well and good, but you obviously learned nothing from writing off Philander after seeing him once. You'd think you'd realise that one should judge a cricketer on a larger body of evidence.
You love Kohli from sucking him off once so STFU ****.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Wow, 11 wickets gets him that close to Steyn does it?

Only the England bowling coach and Wasim Akram say it and nobody believes them anyway. Steyn is clearly number 1.
It's a bit like the Burgey-Lyon-Swann thing. A couple of people saying something disagreeable doesn't mean people have to straw man the whole of CricketWeb with it for all eternity, particularly in this case when there weren't even any CricketWeb members involved in the first place, FFS.

KFK has basically just come into this thread with a jolly old Ryan Harris trollface going on and made consecutive flag-waving rubbish posts. Terrible posting from someone I usually don't mind reading.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone see what's going on here??

For the Aussies it's frustrating watching your batting capitulate but for the English we are supposed to accept that 4 of our batsmen average around 20 odd below their career ave for the series and put it down to class bowling and not our own shortcomings.

As I said the other day it is only natural for a supporter to be more focused and concerned with what their team is doing poorly rather than what the opposition is doing well..........WTF is wrong with that??

We all know that both bowling attacks are good.
I guess you couldn't read the part where I gave credit to Bresnan and Broad?

I'm not sure what other way you wish me to describe our innings. We were cruising along at 2/150 odd and suddenly we're rolled for 220ish.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
See this

Then this
Did you notice that two different posters made those posts?

Basing your entire judgement of a post based on what country the poster is from rather than anything else, such as who they are or what they've said, is what we call warmongering and it's poor form.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I expected a low scoring series but thought individuals on both sides would turn up more often than they have. I'm sure we'll have a thread after the next test but I was struggling to put a combined series top six together when I was thinking about it before

Probably something like

Rogers
Root
Warner
Clarke
Bell
Pietersen

But only Rogers and Bell have unquestionable claims in terms of consistency and the order is ****ed

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
The bowling has been good from both sides, but **** me the batting has been pretty poor. Maybe you could put some dismissals down to bad luck or a build up of pressure but they've been really soft (and before some posters **** themselves I don't mean every wicket)

flibbertyjibber

Team of the series will look weird. Could argue to pick 5 bowlers anyway as a 6th bat is undeserved due to form.

How do you drop any of Harris, Anderson, Broad or Siddle? Swann gets in obviously as does Haddin.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Did you notice that two different posters made those posts?

Basing your entire judgement of a post based on what country the poster is from rather than anything else, such as who they are or what they've said, is what we call warmongering and it's poor form.
I want to make this post its own thread, then Sticky the thread before copying it and putting it at the top of Cricket Chat, Site Discussion and this subforum.

This is so much less of this here than at any other international cricket forum and I'd love to keep it that way.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Team of the series will look weird. Could argue to pick 5 bowlers anyway as a 6th bat is undeserved due to form.

How do you drop any of Harris, Anderson, Broad or Siddle? Swann gets in obviously as does Haddin.
Interesting to compare the series of Anderson and Broad really; I'm sure Broad will end up with the better numbers and possibly by quite a distance after the fifth Test but Anderson bowled himself into the ground while the series was still fully alive and suffered due to it, while Broad acted like a support bowler for most of the life portion of the series and then cleaned up when the opposition were meekly folding and then again when the Ashes had already been retained. You could definitely make a case for Broad even having bowled better than Anderson across the series but the Anderson contribution was just so much more valuable because of when he stood up.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Just wanted to point out that Lyon and Harris took 16 wickets in the match. The selectors didn't pick either for the first test. (and yes I know that neither of them would have done much to prevent Australia being 117-9 in their first innings... but it does throw into question the selectors' ability to recognise quality when they see it.)

Stapel

International Regular

Haddin right. But obviously?
Well, he's having a better series (with the bat) than Prior, but he hasn't exactly been top.

If we rate both keepers by glove work alone, what's the verdict then?

flibbertyjibber

Haddin right. But obviously?
Well, he's having a better series (with the bat) than Prior, but he hasn't exactly been top.

If we rate both keepers by glove work alone, what's the verdict then?
Haddin has performed at his level with gloves and prior has been below par, i'd say Haddin on this series would be a clear pick.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
tbf the Aussie bowlers have worked on some really good plans for each batsman bar Bell, which some of the English guys struggled to adapt to, although Trott has gotten out a lot of ways and Cook should be showing more restraint outside off. The Aussie batsmen have done pretty well IMO, considering the conditions suit reverse swing and spin, which they wouldn't really be used to. Although Lords was a disaster which was good bowling but awful batting.

Sometimes a team imposes itself on the match and doesn't allow the other to get going at all, however sometimes a team can be accused of letting the other team run all over them, so judging who's playing well or not playing well can be difficult. thb I think both have played pretty well, about 75-90% most of the time, but right now England are a better team and are making better use of the conditions.