• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dammit, too many tour games, allows them to finalise an XI and adapt like the English did :ph34r:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Dhoni in no mood to give either Bhuvi or Shami a go in tests, btw -

The skipper is also impressed with the effort of young new ball bowlers Bhuvneshwar Kumar and Shami Ahmed, but is certainly in no mood not to throw the youngsters into Test cricket right now.

"Shorter format will give them (Bhuvneshwar and Shami) more exposure.

"Test cricket is entirely different and if you look at someone like Bhuvneshwar, he can be effective in specific conditions. To play him in Tests, you need to have a look at the conditions. Like if we are playing in England [ Images ], New Zealand [ Images ] or South Africa [ Images ] where the ball swings and seams, he can be considered but on sub-continental tracks he would need to alter the length which he bowls," Dhoni explained.

"As far as Shami is concerned, he is someone who can bowl quick and can reverse the ball but he also needs to improve."
Dhoni defends out-of-form Gambhir, Ashwin - Rediff.com Cricket

He speaks as if current bowlers are fully developed top class bowlers.

shankar

International Debutant
Shami Ahmed initially looked a very good test prospect. But having seen more of him, I wouldn't pick him right now. Despite an excellent seam position he didn't really get much movement. Unless he gets significantly more movement with the red cherry, wouldn't pick him.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Shami Ahmed initially looked a very good test prospect. But having seen more of him, I wouldn't pick him right now. Despite an excellent seam position he didn't really get much movement. Unless he gets significantly more movement with the red cherry, wouldn't pick him.
He gets it to reverse, imo which is important in India. Bowls decent pace and has good control too.

He still needs to develop but what are the other options with Injuries ? And playing ODI's, i am not sure helps Indian bowlers progress either.

Last edited:

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
16 the latest word, so they can fit in Henriques and Maxwell. would mean haddin as the reserve bat/keeper, and one seamer (MJ i guess)
Still leaves a spot for a reserve spinner by my count. Neither Henriques or Maxwell look ready for Tests so taking both seems odd. Not enough fast bowlers in that squad for the amount of resting either. If they only take 4 I'd be leaving out MJ and taking Pattinson, Siddle, Starc and Bird. What they should do is leave out maxwell or Henriques and take another fast bowler. Which would be MJ or Hilf. Not sure if there's any other good candidates from FC.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Squad of 16? Would have to be looking at the 12 from the last SL Test + Patto, Bailey, Haddin and O'Keefe, IMO. That gives us 5 quicks, of whom 4 are pretty durable, Bailey/Haddin as the reserve batsmen and 3 spin options

Wouldn't be against Maxwell copping the axe from the squad and someone else going, however.

benchmark00

Squad of 16? Would have to be looking at the 12 from the last SL Test + Patto, Bailey, Haddin and O'Keefe, IMO. That gives us 5 quicks, of whom 4 are pretty durable, Bailey/Haddin as the reserve batsmen and 3 spin options

Wouldn't be against Maxwell copping the axe from the squad and someone else going, however.
Would be very harsh to have Usman on stand by all throughout the summer only for them to go for someone else when the next squad is announced.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Would be very harsh to have Usman on stand by all throughout the summer only for them to go for someone else when the next squad is announced.
****, Usman completely slipped my mind. Would probs take him as the reserve bat, yeah.

Who would you take for the 16th spot? Maxwell or someone else?

Spikey

well the article suggests they're only going to 16 so they can fit in both type of all-rounders. so it'd be

cowan
watson
prince
watson
king
usman ?
wade
patto
siddle
starceh
lyon

12th: doherty
maxwell
moz
haddin
johnson

i guess henriques is the 5th seamer in the squad?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I can understand why they may not be so keen on taking Bird to India, but we're probably going to have to fly a quick across after the second Test anyway. They couldn't play Moz as a seamer.

Seems like overkill to take 2 back-up #6s and only 1 back-up quick, given our injury record.

benchmark00

well the article suggests they're only going to 16 so they can fit in both type of all-rounders. so it'd be

cowan
watson
prince
watson
king
usman ?
wade
patto
siddle
starceh
lyon

12th: doherty
maxwell
moz
haddin
johnson

i guess henriques is the 5th seamer in the squad?
Double Watson a brave move, no doubt.

benchmark00

Hopefully there are no ghosts in the hotel room, because that would mean about 20% of the team would be spooked ahead of the match.