• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan Cricket news/views

Naumaan

First Class Debutant
Yeah but if he is involved then i think Pakistan should move on & leave everyone who has been involved in this type of dirty work. I think we can still produce some other good cricketers. Hafeez has replaced Salman Butt, I think he is even better than him.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
If he was involved he would be in prison right now. The fact that they did not prosecute him means that they have nothing on him and in my eyes he is innocent until proven guilty.

Naumaan

First Class Debutant
Maybe he was not trialed because he didn't bowl no balls nor did he arrange anything, but he knew maybe? Because what i have come to know that he was very close to salman butt, but i also hope he was not involved. But if he wasn't then he must have played a game against sri lanka & should not have been left out of Bangladesh tour.

smash84

The Tiger King
I don't think the coach has been finalized yet
Has apparently been finalized but won't be announced until after the Bangladesh series.
Awta

Watmore - Head Coach
Mohsin Khan - Batting Coach
Aqib Javed - Bowling Coach
Julien Fountain - Fielding Coach
Mohsin to be interim coach for England series

Grrr, why the delay in naming the full-time coach? Perhaps not able to work out the contract details with Whatmore?
:p

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah but if he is involved then i think Pakistan should move on & leave everyone who has been involved in this type of dirty work. I think we can still produce some other good cricketers. Hafeez has replaced Salman Butt, I think he is even better than him.
I have a feeling there is more to it. Riaz's exclusion is very suspicious.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Seems like you are following this very seriously Fusion. I guess you think very highly of Whatmore.
Haha, not obsessed or anything but I do think this is a critical decision. We need a strong and qualified coach to guide this rebuilding team. I do think Whatmore is the best choice from those available.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree we need a very good coach but Whatmore is not the answer. My personal pick would be Jamie Siddons. He is a brilliant batting coach and his greatest achievement as a coach was the improvement in Tamim and Shakib's batting. Bangladesh were stupid to sack him and Pakistan should definitely offer him the job.

smash84

The Tiger King
yeah.......personally rate Whatmore very highly.......

no, we don't want the bangers coach, otherwise Ajmal will be eaten alive :ph34r:

Fusion

Global Moderator
A really interesting and revealing interview with Wasim Akram. He doesn’t hold back on his answers! Some highlights:

A common theory doing the rounds is that since tape-ball cricket is very common in Pakistan, we produce a lot of fast bowlers. While in India, young cricketers play with the heavier MRF ball, which means not many young Indian fast bowlers are produced. Do you agree?

It is a good observation and could be one of the reasons, but I think the biggest factor is the difference in psyche. Fast bowlers, in India, arrive on the scene very quickly but they soon disappear (in a year or two), instead of going on to become quicker.

Look at the examples of Irfan Pathan, RP Singh, Munaf Patel and so many others. They have now found another (fast bowler) in Umesh Yadav, let’s hope he can keep on going instead of fading away like the rest. They often lack the hunger and drive that is required to improve after hitting the big stage.

Did Malcolm Marshall also influence you?

Marshall shortened his run-up later in his career. I would talk to him and kept picking his brains whenever I could. I always thought (and still do) that Marshall was the most complete fast bowler cricket had ever seen.

Since we played against and with each other a lot, I would pester him with questions all the time and he always listened to me.

And then there was Imran. All the technicalities related to fast bowling, the mental grooming, reading batsmen’s mind, everything – I learned from him.

So Imran Khan was to you what Terry Jenner was to Warne?

Definitely. Especially when it came to fast bowling. Generally I had two mentors, him and Miandad.

You have said that you considered Sir Viv to be the greatest batsman you have bowled to. What was it like to face him as a bowler?

Viv was a different breed. It wasn’t just his batting, it was his aura. Over six feet tall; itnay itnay (these huge) muscles; no sign of any protection; forget arm or chest guards, not even a helmet. So that whole aura was intimidating for a young skinny bowler that I was back then.

However, I still got his wickets a few times. That, I should admit, was also because his greatest days were behind him. I am glad I faced him then and not earlier.

So no batsman worried or intimidated you ever?

If I had to pick someone it would have to be (Adam) Gilchrist in one-day internationals (ODIs).

But you do have some amazing dismissals against him (Gilchrist).

Yes, but he has hit me quite a bit as well, man. Gilchrist wasn’t an Afridi-type pinch-hitter. He was a proper batsman, who could hit you anytime, anywhere. Afridi sahib ka kya pata? 100 main say aik match main chalna hai baaqi ka pata nahi… (With Afridi, who knows? He’ll score in one match out of a hundred. The rest, you don’t know…)

Talk to us about the 1999 World Cup loss. Must be a low point in your career?

Very, very low. Forget the fact that we lost the final, the way we lost that match and the performance we gave…spineless!

How much did that hurt compared to 1996?

The feeling was very different. In 1996, it was more about the attitude of the players. We had players like Aamir Sohail. I was injured. They knew I was injured and couldn’t play the quarterfinal. Even before the match started, they (players) had started saying things like “we are going to lose the match.” Had we won, they knew it would make me a successful captain.

You see, these cricketers have spent their entire careers trying to bring me down instead of focussing on their game, which is why they were not able to perform well – they have always been distracted.

It is said that Inzamam always shielded himself by batting at number five. Do you agree?

Of course. If Inzi had come at one or two down, he would have been a different player. He would have had over 10,000 Test runs to his name. Unfortunately, he was always on the back foot, because he didn’t believe in himself, which was his biggest problem.

What was it like to play under Waqar’s captaincy? What did you think of him as a bowler and as a captain?

As a bowler, he was great. A great sight to watch, he was one of the greatest bowlers of all time. I don’t think I saw or will see a bowler like him ever again.

As a captain, though, he had no brains, no strategy and was always on the back foot.

If you could change your career with any other bowler, who would it be?

Malcolm Marshall.

You will exchange it, just like that…

Haaaan! Araam say. (Yes! Just like that).

Not Imran Khan?

No. As a bowler Marshall, as a leader Imran Khan, of course.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Typical Wasim, blaming everyone around him.

At least Waqar became our coach and helped turn things around. What has Wasim done?

Xuhaib

International Coach
its incredible how much bad blood does the 90's side has against each other. Wasim hated Waqar, Waqar hated Wasim. Afridi and Akhtar hated both Wasim and Waqar, Aamer Sohail hates every one. No wonder they never reached their potential despite being one of the most talented teams around.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
its incredible how much bad blood does the 90's side has against each other. Wasim hated Waqar, Waqar hated Wasim. Afridi and Akhtar hated both Wasim and Waqar, Aamer Sohail hates every one. No wonder they never reached their potential despite being one of the most talented teams around.
what a post...well put.