• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There was a whole thread on that before, iirc. They were on the money with the 'sweet spot' being smaller on a baseball bat, but they were using areas of measurement like bat speed that mean nothing in cricket.
davey warner disagrees tbh tbf imo iirc

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I remember this show I once watched on Discovery comparing batting in Baseball and Cricket. They had some USA national cricketer bowl his part time spin to some pretty good US baseball player and when the ****er top edged 50% of his deliveries and middled a few others while the cricketer missed about 80% of the balls, their conclusion was cricket is easier than baseball. Have never raged so hard at Americans in my life :p
It's easier to hit a cricket ball than a baseball. But cricket is far more about concentration than everything "clicking" in one big moment. Cricket is an accumulation of small moments interspersed with large, important moments. In baseball, every moment is almost equally as important but the luck factor is a lot higher.

Baseball centres around how well the pitchers pitch and the fielding side fields. Cricket centres around how well the batsmen bat (the last decade has largely been the exception to the rule, where the bowlers tend to decide most games, in the past and even in recent times, it's the better batting side that wins).

Daemon

It's easier to hit a cricket ball than a baseball. But cricket is far more about concentration than everything "clicking" in one big moment. Cricket is an accumulation of small moments interspersed with large, important moments. In baseball, every moment is almost equally as important but the luck factor is a lot higher.

Baseball centres around how well the pitchers pitch and the fielding side fields. Cricket centres around how well the batsmen bat (the last decade has largely been the exception to the rule, where the bowlers tend to decide most games, in the past and even in recent times, it's the better batting side that wins).
Yeah but their conclusion and the way they said it was highly misleading. Any baseball fan who didn't know better would've had a triumphant laugh that they were supporting the harder sport.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Yeah but their conclusion and the way they said it was highly misleading. Any baseball fan who didn't know better would've had a triumphant laugh that they were supporting the harder sport.
They play rugby with padding and helmets. [/Case]

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I remember this show I once watched on Discovery comparing batting in Baseball and Cricket. They had some USA national cricketer bowl his part time spin to some pretty good US baseball player and when the ****er top edged 50% of his deliveries and middled a few others while the cricketer missed about 80% of the balls, their conclusion was cricket is easier than baseball. Have never raged so hard at Americans in my life :p
Sports Science: Baseball Vs. Cricket - YouTube

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
The batting has also been abysmal - making Hilf look much better than he is (not that he is a poor bowler). The English batsmen played him really well during the Ashes

Siddle is the real deal though.
You can't make that ball to Laxman look better.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Or the ball to Dravid on the 2nd ball of day 3 MCG.

Fair enough in hindsight Dravid has been getting bowled a lot since, but that was a top ball to receive 2nd ball. In fact, top ball to receive at any time of the day.

People just have to accept that Hilf and Siddle have improved in 12 months. Deal with it tbh.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Or the ball to Dravid on the 2nd ball of day 3 MCG.

Fair enough in hindsight Dravid has been getting bowled a lot since, but that was a top ball to receive 2nd ball. In fact, top ball to receive at any time of the day.

People just have to accept that Hilf and Siddle have improved in 12 months. Deal with it tbh.
Indeed. We all know that Hilf bowled like absolute **** last ashes but he has turned it around magnificently and some of his deliveries, which actually take wickets now, have been borderline unplayable.

adub

International Captain

I agree with most of this, but is it really easier to hit a cricket ball than a baseball? Certainly not saying facing up to a top class pitcher is in any way easy, but trying to get anything on a quick at 140+ with a bit of seam and swing, or a top class spinner turning it square out of fifth day footmarks has to be tougher when you have all the added variables of the pitch and the much larger range of areas that can be bowled taken into account. Having a bit wider bat doesn't make anywhere near as much difference as getting to face some septic nuffy bowling his medium pace half track pies on superturf would.

adub

International Captain
You can't make that ball to Laxman look better.
And it's had plenty of mates. Really asking lots of questions of the batsmen and swinging it from middle and off, rather than starting 6 inches outside off and swinging it further away out of the hand like a year ago.

When he was selected for the SA tour in 09 I thought it was good selection and he went ok without ever really setting the world on fire. Over time though he just became innocuous. Not enough balls that made the batsmen play. Come the last ashes he just never looked like taking a wicket if he didn't get Strauss in the first over.

He's doing the donkey work I was hoping Copeland would grow into, but also bowling lots of wicket taking balls and swinging it around at 145+. Fingers crossed he can keep it up because it's the sort of stuff that will take wickets on almost any pitch. He's already had some reasonable SC results so I'm hopeful he could be a first choice anywhere.

benchmark00

I'm obv more of a cricket fan than a baseball fan, but it's way more difficult to hit a meaningful hit in baseball than it is in cricket.

The real difficulty in cricket is the length of time you have to execute your skills.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm obv more of a cricket fan than a baseball fan, but it's way more difficult to hit a meaningful hit in baseball than it is in cricket.

The real difficulty in cricket is the length of time you have to execute your skills.
Are you Michael Clarke?