• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Teja.

Global Moderator
Exceptions exist on both sides of course.

It becomes dangerous, however, when the entire first-class system is not the overwhelmingly primary production system for pace bowlers in the country. You don't lose faith in the Australlian FC batting system due to one bat who does very well in FC cricket but does not have it in him to do the same in test cricket.

It is disgraceful that a bowler like Varun Aaron could be dominated in FC cricket, bowl a 150 kph ball in an ODI and immediately be given a test cap for which Praveen had to slog out for many an exceptional season in FC cricket.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
It is disgraceful that a bowler like Varun Aaron could be dominated in FC cricket, bowl a 150 kph ball in an ODI and immediately be given a test cap for which Praveen had to slog out for many an exceptional season in FC cricket.
And that one quick spell which earned him 3 wickets caused people to ignore the filth he served prior to it which helped West Indies amass 590!

Woodster

International Captain
Think this is very unlikely, Lyon seems to be settled into the side and trusted by his captain in a way that Hauritz and others never were.

This is such a hard series to call, not just in the final result but even in the nature of the series. Think it is very hard to pick a winner but I would not confidently predict it being a close series either given both teams strengths and perhaps more importantly weaknesses would not be surprised to see either team running away with it. If I had to guess then think we might see different tests dominated by different sides but would probably just about go for Australia at this stage.

Openers on both sides going to be really important though, obviously there is attacking potential in both of them but you can also see early wickets happening on a very regular basis. India really missed the Sehwag and Gambhir combination against England, if they have poor series it puts an awful lot of pressure on the big 3. No need to mention Australia’s recent batting woes but If Zaheer is missing for any of the tests (which I am assuming he will) then Warner and possibly later in the series Watson (never seen Cowan so no idea how he will go) could really put pressure on India's pace attack, and we saw them (admittedly largely with different players) wilt horribly against England this summer.
The comment in which your responding to was partly tongue-in-cheek, partly serious. I do think it's highly unlikely Australia will opt for another spinner and they do seem keen on developing Lyon and sticking with him, however, it won't be the first time that the Indians have made a side think twice about whether they're picking the right spinner. He may be in for some tough treatment in this series as you can be sure India will look to be positive against him, so perhaps we may have a clearer picture after (or during) this series whether they have the confidence in him and believe he is the man to persevere with.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What's with the Vinay love on here? :unsure:

To me he just seems like a prime candidate for SS's wheel of mediocrity. Hope I'm wrong, of course.
Actually being successful in FC cricket.

Yadav actually seems more of a prime candidate for the Wheel.

Burgey

If India doesn't win this series in Australia they will never win one here. This is by far their best chance since 85-86 when we had Border and that's about it, and Bruce Reid debuted. We've some decent young bowlers but the wickets here are generally true, if a little faster than normal, and unlike our older batsmen, India's seem to keep on keeping on, save for the England series.

There are big question marks over their bowling too, tbf, but the vulnerability of our top six is there to exploit by anyone. Without Watson we are relying on four pretty inexperienced bowlers to bowl to a deep batting line up.

I really think this is their best ever chance to win here.

So, with that in mind:

Score line: Australia 4-0 :ph34r:
Runs: Cowan/ Sehwag/ Dravid
Wickets: Pattinson/ Zaheer (if fit)
Random: Ponting scores well and retires on his terms, maybe at series end, maybe not.
Lyon will bowl well, Ashwin too. Neither getting too many wickets, but both showing they're the real deal at test level.
Tendulkar run out for 99, not hearing the call (obviously)
Several Indian posters to take a light hearted jape about Sehwag's waist line and turn it into the greatest atrocity since the Armenian genocide of 1912.

Last edited:

Burgey

Shout out to Robelinda.

Do you have in your tapes the classic "Go India" travel ads featuring Kapil and Vengsarkar from that 85-86 series, where the dubbing of their voices was the worst editing ever? They were gold. If you've got them, post pleaseeeeeeeeeee.

Jacknife

International Captain
If India doesn't win this series in Australia they will never win one here. This is by far their best chance since 85-86 when we had Border and that's about it, and Bruce Reid debuted. We've some decent young bowlers but the wickets here are generally true, if a little faster than normal, and unlike our older batsmen, India's seem to keep on keeping on, save for the England series.

There are big question marks over their bowling too, tbf, but the vulnerability of our top six is there to exploit by anyone. Without Watson we are relying on four pretty inexperienced bowlers to bowl to a deep batting line up.

I really think this is their best ever chance to win here.

So, with that in mind:

Score line: Australia 4-0 :ph34r:
Runs: Cowan/ Sehwag/ Dravid
Wickets: Pattinson/ Zaheer (if fit)
Random: Ponting scores well and retires on his terms, maybe at series end, maybe not.
Lyon will bowl well, Ashwin too. Neither getting too many wickets, but both showing they're the real deal at test level.
Tendulkar run out for 99, not hearing the call (obviously)
Several Indian posters to take a light hearted jape about Sehwag's waist line and turn it into the greatest atrocity since the Armenian genocide of 1912.
:laugh::laugh:

uvelocity

International Coach
Australia XI for Boxing Day test: Clarke (c), Warner, Cowan, Marsh, Ponting, Hussey, Haddin, Siddle, Hilfenhaus, Pattinson, Lyon

morgieb

Have much more faith in Hilfy than Starc, and Cowan and Marsh can knuckle down more than Hughes and Khawaja.

At least they didn't make the mistake of picking Christian.

adub

International Captain
hilfy in selection a bolter. no other surprises. aus by an innings.
Not really. Hilf isn't much, but Starc is poo. Sewag would have been giving offerings to every god he could think of to see M Starc listed in the Australian XI.

Spikey

i would literally take some random guy off the street over hilf. i'm still reeling from his ashes performance.

not helping his case by using the age old "this isn't an excuse but i was injured y'know" line tbf