• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

BlazeDragon

Banned
Hussey created a new record that nobody seems to have mentioned.

He is the first man to be player of the match in every single match of a three-test series.

Last edited:

uvelocity

International Coach
It's a bit hard to figure out, but I think Murali has the record at 4 mom's in a row anyway. Hope huss can take 2 in SA!

Xuhaib

International Coach
Which of the tests I mentioned in that post do you believe was a case of the bowling not being good enough and batting being awesome?
SA should have won a test in Middle east if they had a decent spinner bowling on 5 th day track instead of Botha and Harris especially at Abu Dhabi where both Rehman and Hafeez get decent purchase on the 4th day. I also thought India/NZl first 2 tests the bowling was abysmal apart from one Martin spell.

I am not saying they were not flat pitches but they not roads like Antigua or the pitches that we saw in the Pak -SL series when the Lankan team was attacked.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
Agree that Punter is more expendable down the list. I think though with Marsh in his position, Australia is less likely to be dynamic. Punter's fast scoring allowed the team to counter-attack quite early in the innings. Marsh looks more like an accumulator in the mould of his father - though better. Of course Punter's dominant days are behind him.
I don't mind an accumulator in the team, in fact if he can manage to stick around and keep doing it, all the better. If the main plan is to 'play your natural game' then we need at least one of those in the side to balance the number of wickets that will be thrown away playing a lot of shots.

We don't have a single player of the talent of Punter now. That's just the way it is.

pup11

International Coach
That's a good question. For mine, I think by not batting at first drop, it makes his place in the team far less secure. One of the main arguments in favour of him playing on as just a batsman was that there was nobody else 'first drop ready'. Now he's been moved out of that crucial position...I'm not so sure, absent some really good form, that he's not dispensable.
So what about the #4 position.? We certainly haven't had anyone do that well at that position since Martyn and that's a position no less important than first drop.
Ponting atleast for me is on the verge of scoring some big runs, he was pretty good in the Odi's and even in the tests he looked good for a lot more runs, so I think its a bit too premature to speculate whether he is nearing his end,Hussey's example is a good one because people were saying similar things about him prior to the Ashes and they certainly were proven wrong.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
So what about the #4 position.? We certainly haven't had anyone do that well at that position since Martyn and that's a position no less important than first drop.
Ponting atleast for me is on the verge of scoring some big runs, he was pretty good in the Odi's and even in the tests he looked good for a lot more runs, so I think its a bit too premature to speculate whether he is nearing his end,Hussey's example is a good one because people were saying similar things about him prior to the Ashes and they certainly were proven wrong.
Just about every Australian poster has said this about Ponting at some point in the last year. We're still waiting.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just about every Australian poster has said this about Ponting at some point in the last year. We're still waiting.
Yeah, this. Ponting looking like he's just about to start coming good is almost getting as old as the 'transition period' line.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
TBH, in his slump he's actually looked very decent lots of the time. Gets starts and good runs quickly but his conversion rate is terrible.

I remember someone did a stat analysis which showed that basically he is still getting to scores 50 or near to the same amount but is not pushing on to 100s and more.

I agree with whoever it was that said that Ponting's problem is mental. I don't think it's physical because he looks as fit as he ever has and his reflexes don't look that bad. Just some poor decision making IMO.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Well, I think he is worth persisting with. Ponting without a mental block is the best batsman in the world IMO.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Ponting is on the verge of getting some big scores.

look what happened to tendulkar in 07/08

Dravid against england.

Kallis in 2010

Hussey since the Ashes

Furball

Evil Scotsman
TBH, in his slump he's actually looked very decent lots of the time. Gets starts and good runs quickly but his conversion rate is terrible.

I remember someone did a stat analysis which showed that basically he is still getting to scores 50 or near to the same amount but is not pushing on to 100s and more.

I agree with whoever it was that said that Ponting's problem is mental. I don't think it's physical because he looks as fit as he ever has and his reflexes don't look that bad. Just some poor decision making IMO.
How often do you persist with a guy who's getting himself off to decent starts but failing to go on?

He's scored one ton in his last 2 years of Test cricket, and he was dropped on 0 in doing so. Had Amir taken that catch at Hobart Ponting would have absolutely nothing to justify his continued place in Australia's Test XI.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, sure. But when you comment on how people have been saying "he is on the verge of scoring runs" they aren't doing so blindly assuming he is bound to score but that he actually has looked good on the crease many times. As you say though, there comes a point where wasting starts is itself a problem.