• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Umpiring Errors

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I didn't see all of yesterday's play, but if the Pietersen one we're talking about is the incident I have in mind where he tried to reverse sweep it and it hit his leg, then Cevno, you're off your head.

Spark

Global Moderator
He's talking about the Dhoni one.

As for the Morgan thing, I said in the thread that I'm not entirely sure that would have been overturned, but this stuff about "Morgan thought he hit it, so he must have hit it?" Please.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh: Seriously comical stuff from guys who're arguing technology (which proved horse**** whether it was out or not) should be considered over the umpire's and victim's words.

And they say you are biased. :lol:
First they say a batsman who doesn't walk is being dishonest and in some cases cheating. Then when the poor guy does and says he knicked it, the fanboys gather to tell him he was not out based on a TV replay.:lol: Hypocrisy at it's finest......

Bun

Banned
I didn't see all of yesterday's play, but if the Pietersen one we're talking about is the incident I have in mind where he tried to reverse sweep it and it hit his leg, then Cevno, you're off your head.
no, hes referring to the one where dhoni had him out, umpire decision was overruled by udrs.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It's not, we're talking about the one where he was given out but it was overturned. Everyone could see it was not out (just by looking at the reaction in the match thread), we're just getting into this useless argument about whether or not it was obvious enough to overturn, which pisses me off. If we can all see it wasn't out, why not?

Bun

Banned
He's talking about the Dhoni one.

As for the Morgan thing, I said in the thread that I'm not entirely sure that would have been overturned, but this stuff about "Morgan thought he hit it, so he must have hit it?" Please.
morgan walking plus umpire giving out
> spark watching on tv frankly.

some absolutely dire revisionsim in this thread. if morgan hadn't hit it, he should.ve reviewed it!

Last edited:

Bun

Banned
Morgan's case is an example of why I've been of the view that the players shouldn't be the ones made responsible for asking for the reviews. And this wasn't even an LBW (yes, I'm aware Hawkeye isn't being used here).
hmmmm..... interesting thought, but don't think that would've helped his case here as umpire also thought he was a goner.

maybe can be argued he'd have hesitated to give it had that been the case, but I think that'd be applicable even now as well.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
morgan walking plus umpire giving out
> spark watching on tv frankly.

some absolutely dire revisionsim in this thread. if morgan hadn't hit it, he should.ve reviewed it!
Why the hell would he review it when he knows he has nicked it? If you actually have played any decent level of cricket, you should know except when it takes the back of the bat or when the bat hits pads and ball together,the batsman knowrg that he has edged it or not. Plus what possible motive could he have to walk off and be convinced later on too?

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
If you've played cricket then once again I say you'll know that whether you think you've nicked it or not and whether you've actually nicked it or not do not always correlate.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
If you've played cricket then once again I say you'll know that whether you think you've nicked it or not and whether you've actually nicked it or not do not always correlate.
Yes they do. Besides how can you be sure of either? Based on what others say? Seriously ,can't believe i have to argue the fundamentals here....

Spark

Global Moderator
I can tell you of at least several occasions, some involving me, some others, where the batsmen didn't feel what seemed like an obvious nick.

Bun

Banned
Why the hell would he review it when he knows he has nicked it? If you actually have played any decent level of cricket, you should know except when it takes the back of the bat or when the bat hits pads and ball together,the batsman knowrg that he has edged it or not. Plus what possible motive could he have to walk off and be convinced later on too?
so either Morgan's ********, or he knew he was out.

would like to think it was the latter.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I can tell you of at least several occasions, some involving me, some others, where the batsmen didn't feel what seemed like an obvious nick.
Must have been the bat hitting the ground or the pad together with the ball or taken the back of the bat or the batsman lying. Both nasseir hussain and Sunil Gavaskar+ Wasim Akram emphasised this point too,who have played at the highest level for long.... Even besides that surely you realise, that feeling a nick that will give you out , is quite different to the opposite where you are supposed to gain from missing a nick?

Spark

Global Moderator
Must have been the bat hitting the ground or the pad together with the ball or taken the back of the bat or the batsman lying. Both nasseir hussain and Sunil Gavaskar+ Wasim Akram emphasised this point too,who have played at the highest level for long.... Even besides that surely you realise, that feeling a nick that will give you out , is quite different to the opposite where you are supposed to gain from missing a nick?
Again with the back of the bat stuff.

Name me ONE instance where a ball has hit the back of the bat where the batsmen is pushing forward at a seamer. It is literally not possible.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Again with the back of the bat stuff.

Name me ONE instance where a ball has hit the back of the bat where the batsmen is pushing forward at a seamer. It is literally not possible.
Pretty sure a batsman got bowled in a u19 world cup game from a video i was watching a few days earlier with the ball ricochetting from the back of the bat. A big inswinger it was. Am on my phone right now,will find the link later and more. In any case it has nothing to do with the Morgan dismissal.....

hang on

State Vice-Captain
Pretty sure a batsman got bowled in a u19 world cup game from a video i was watching a few days earlier with the ball ricochetting from the back of the bat. A big inswinger it was. Am on my phone right now,will find the link later and more. In any case it has nothing to do with the Morgan dismissal.....
if this did happen, then said batsman should never play in the next ie under 20 or 21 world cup. for not knowing which side of his bat to use.