• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket related coincidences / anomalies

IamSpartacus

Cricket Spectator
Hi all,

I've been a long time lurker here and thanks to CW have gained quite a few insights into the game.

Anyhoo I was chatting with a mate yesterday about an incident that happened to us about 10 years ago and thought it might make for an interesting thread.

In the early 90's I was playing hard wicket in Adelaide's northern suburbs, one game I went into bat against a left arm quick and was clean bowled for a duck, my teammate Craig followed LBW next ball - it was a Hattrick to the bowler.

Years later at the same ground the same bowler was still playing (whom I remembered because his last name is my first name and he was the quickest i've faced) . A wicket fell and Craig went into bat and was bowled first ball, I walked to the crease and was out LBW first ball ... A second hattrick for the left armer 8 years after his first involving Craig and myself this time in reverse batting order and reverse dismissals! We laughed our arses off while our team mates looked at us like WTF?

(ftr I can't remember the other batsmen involved in the two hattricks, just that they were two different guys ... that would have been too much of a coincidence)

Does anyone have any similar stories of sport related coincidence or unusual occurances?

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I once got bowled and started walking off, only to hear my partner screaming at me to get back in the crease and watching my stumps getting removed by the wicketkeeper. It was a free hit. Forgot that I couldn't get out. Happened twice in the same year :(

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
That should be not out - you can't be run out if you're walking off under the assumption you've been dismissed.

Strange double result earlier this term - my school's U11 and U10 sides both played away to Cothil. We both won the toss, inserted, and bowled the opposition out for 113, before winning with nine wickets down.

The U11B team also bowled out Cothill for 113, but here the symmetry ended as they were skittled for 60.

weeman27bob

International Regular
That should be not out - you can't be run out if you're walking off under the assumption you've been dismissed.

Strange double result earlier this term - my school's U11 and U10 sides both played away to Cothil. We both won the toss, inserted, and bowled the opposition out for 113, before winning with nine wickets down.

The U11B team also bowled out Cothill for 113, but here the symmetry ended as they were skittled for 60.
13's unlucky for some...

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Welcome Sparty. Nice thread this, a good first post too :)

Last edited:

IamSpartacus

Cricket Spectator
Thanks Burgy :)

Craig and I have somewhat of a symbiotic cricketing relationship we both got hit in the jatz crackers in the same trial game, tho I wasn't wearing a box :wacko: I left it at home and wasn't about to borrow one. These days it's the first thing I check in my cricket bag before leaving home.

Another coincidence, though probably not that uncommon, I scored my highest score of 90 against my former team the season after I left; Opening the innings I was dropped on 4 by the wicketkeeper who in their innings went on to score a century himself to win the game. Craig was not involved in this one :-)

Last edited: