• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in Bangladesh

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
By monitoring his progress in one day domestic cricket.

Because he's crap at it. If he played he'd get pounded and be unfairly blacklisted from the Test team, like Brett Dorey. It's not in anyone's interest for him to play ODIs right now.
Siddle played test cricket before ODI's so there may be some sense prevailing even in our selectors. I assume they will wait till he has a real drop in form though...

pup11

International Coach
There is also the argument that with the Clarke-Watson ghost of Ponting thing being tested for the first time, perhaps not the best time to be experimenting with the team.
I don't understand why such a big deal is being made about Ponting playing on after quitting captaincy, in the Australian set-up he certainly is not going to be an elephant in the room and having a team-player like him is only going to help Clarke.

Mike5181

International Captain
I don't understand why such a big deal is being made about Ponting playing on after quitting captaincy, in the Australian set-up he certainly is not going to be an elephant in the room and having a team-player like him is only going to help Clarke.
Yeah, i like it as well and assuming the future number three is presumably Khuwaja then he would be handy to have around for another twelve months to teach him all the tricks. Hey, you never know he may even find a Sachin-like return to form himself. In any case just be glad we get to watch one of the last real class players.

sifter132

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
There is also the argument that with the Clarke-Watson + ghost of Ponting thing being tested for the first time, perhaps not the best time to be experimenting with the team.
Exactly. A week ago I was all for a younger squad to be picked for this series, but now I like that the selectors have stayed with the full strength side. It's a great series to let Clarke put his stamp on the full side and it'll give Nielsen and the selectors a chance to see how that leadership dynamic might work in future. That's good information to have when the long term planning starts after this tour finishes.

The other thing about picking the old guys is that it will be a good test of how hungry they really are. If Ponting, Hussey and Lee find themselves struggling to be motivated for this series, then there's a good chance they'll retire - which would be a great thing. If possible you want to force those retirement decisions to be made now rather than in 6 months when you aren't expecting it.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Michael Clarke said:
"We're fortunate we have these three one-dayers now and then we get a goodbreak, so it's allowed me to just focus onthese three one dayers, not look too far ahead, and not think about changes that I feel might need to be made."
This suggests to me that this series is being build up as a mock-drill for the more experienced players so that they can get used to taking orders from Clarke when playing under him in the test team.

So basically what it means is that likes of Ponting, Hussey, Haddin could be playing their last few ODI's here and the Aussie ODI set-up might be in for a massive overhaul.

Feel its a pretty ridiculous way of handling things if this is what they have in mind, don't see any sense or need in taking these old pros for such an inconsequential series only to dump them later.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Australia don't bring old pros - they're taking Bangers lightly
Australia bring old pros - they should be resting them!

pup11

International Coach
Australia don't bring old pros - they're taking Bangers lightly
Australia bring old pros - they should be resting them!
Going by what is being said, the senior pros are being brought to this tour just to acclamatise them with Clarke's leadership and the whole shift in balance of power and not because there are definite roles for them in the future ODI set-up.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
This suggests to me that this series is being build up as a mock-drill for the more experienced players so that they can get used to taking orders from Clarke when playing under him in the test team.

So basically what it means is that likes of Ponting, Hussey, Haddin could be playing their last few ODI's here and the Aussie ODI set-up might be in for a massive overhaul.

Feel its a pretty ridiculous way of handling things if this is what they have in mind, don't see any sense or need in taking these old pros for such an inconsequential series only to dump them later.
Going by what is being said, the senior pros are being brought to this tour just to acclamatise them with Clarke's leadership and the whole shift in balance of power and not because there are definite roles for them in the future ODI set-up.
When Clarke is talking of changes he could be talking about anything! Team tactics, field settings, rotation policy etc..

I have no idea how you interpreted what you did from what Clarke said.

pup11

International Coach
When Clarke is talking of changes he could be talking about anything! Team tactics, field settings, rotation policy etc..

I have no idea how you interpreted what you did from what Clarke said.
From what I know a question was asked about the make-up and rebuilding of the side and that was what he had to say in reply to that.

Anyways... moving on the big problem with Chappell is that he doesn't believe in having aging players in the team.

His policy seems to revolve around stuffing a team with young talent and then hoping for the best, unfortunately that's not how things work when building a team and that's where he has massively failed as a coach and selector.

I also totally agree with the article that its time that Australian cricket management think about start bringing in coaches from outside, having guys like Akram, Saqlain coming in and working with young blokes is only gonna help them in the longer run.

Bun

Banned
Problem with Chappell is he wants to rule the team.

He is dictatorial and uses the national team as guinea pigs for his wierd ideas which he thinks is out of box.

Spark

Global Moderator
GChappell is such a tosser. A few months back I thought he would improve the selection panel but he's made it far worse. At least before everyone knew what they thought the best XI was even if many of us disagreed.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Problem with Chappell is he wants to rule the team.

He is dictatorial and uses the national team as guinea pigs for his wierd ideas which he thinks is out of box.
What I heard when he was the SA coach was largely in line with his problems as captain in his playing days; gets easily frustrated with people who aren't guns like he was. Tends to focus in sharply on the young and blokes who have been around a bit or are just solid cricketers tend to get left behind or berated for not being awesome.

Boof was a fan but Boof was still in the Test side then so....

pup11

International Coach
What I heard when he was the SA coach was largely in line with his problems as captain in his playing days; gets easily frustrated with people who aren't guns like he was. Tends to focus in sharply on the young and blokes who have been around a bit or are just solid cricketers tend to get left behind or berated for not being awesome.

Boof was a fan but Boof was still in the Test side then so....
Talking about Boof any chance he might take over as the coach of Australia..? Have heard rumours that the axe is about to fall on Nielsen and Boof is one of the names up there to replace him as the new Aussie coach.

Don't know about anything else but its surely time for Nielsen to leave, with a new captain leading the team its obviously better to shed all the old baggage and bring someone else in who has some fresh ideas.

Analyst1

Cricket Spectator
Atleast you can't accuse the Australians of taking Bangladesh lightly before the series. I think that they've picked a pretty good team. I still think that only one of Hussey/Ponting should have been picked.

Paine appears to be a slow scorer when he plays for Australia but he has shown that he has the shots in domestic T20 cricket.