• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I haven't watched him but how can anything have significantly changed in a matter of a few weeks? It typically takes months of training to alter your style of bowling or action etc. and actually produce better results. I may be wrong in that claim, but I'd be incredibly suprised if he has changed his game in this time.
Spin bowling is as much about attitude as it is action.

I haven't seen Hauritz bowl since he was overlooked, but it doesn't take months for a spinner to change something.

Ruckus

International Captain
I disagree with your viewpoint.

Hauritz would provide at least some level of control, which is more than we can say for any of the other bowlers. It is a release of pressure at one end which has let England dictate terms so far. Hauritz is both more accomplished and in form than any other spin bowler in the country. Pick him.
Well, if North is retained (which is sounds as though he might) he can provide control if that's all that is needed. North's FC and test economy is better than Hauritz's.

Ruckus

International Captain
Spin bowling is as much about attitude as it is action.

I haven't seen Hauritz bowl since he was overlooked, but it doesn't take months for a spinner to change something.
Attitude is temporary though. It is quite possible that he has become extra determined to get back into the team and as such has produced some good performances. However, once he gets back into the team you can't rely on that lasting. Also, how he will peform is far more dependant on simply how he is a bowler, 'mental' aspects can only improve your performance to a certain degree.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sinking feeling that North will be retained, tbh. Most of the press seems centred on replacing Katich and Doherty, less so on Marcus. Praying that I'm wrong.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
And, you say you'd pick him at number 8 as a bowler :laugh::laugh:

Says it all about your judgement, with respect.
WTF? I didn't say I would pick him with the ball.

He's not in my Test XI at all...

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would be hilariously awesome if Hauritz were to come back in after getting pasted all over India and take a bagful against England. Go Haury! :)

pup11

International Coach
I don't get this sudden desire to bring Hauritz back? Nothing has changed in his bowling between the time he was dropped and now. Sure he got a 5-for recently in a Shield match, but he also got 0 for 44 against SA yesterday. This match is do or die, and while I think Hauritz is probably a better option than Doherty, will he really give us much more of a chance of taking 20 wickets?

We need to take risks now, going back to the old boring team is probably going to produce the same bad results. Bring in O'Keefe, or someone else who has the potential to take a lot of wickets. I would probably prefer Smith at 8 than Hauritz tbh. He is a way ****ter bowler in terms of consistency, but at least he adds a lot with the bat and has more potential to take a heap of wickets if he is on song.
Tbh, most people don't really think that Hauritz should have dropped in the first place, he was never a world beater and would never be but he was doing a pretty decent job, but just on the basis of the Indian tour he was overlooked for probably the worst first class spinner in Australia, which was ridiculous to say the very least.
I too would love to have Smith in the team but that would be in place of North and not in place of Hauritz, because along with the 4 frontline bowlers Smith would be an additional 5th bowler and it would be the right role for him and would help in grooming both aspects of his game at the highest level.

Jarquis

I view Broad as a big loss for England

He may not be the best in the world or produce the greatest figures but he does a job abd does it very well

On the other hand, I have no such faith in his replacements

Bresnan is a pretty average cricketer and whilst it is "like for like", it's a definite step down in quality

Shane Warne and Stuart, both of whom have played with Tremlett, were both dismissive towards him (Clark gave him 1.5/10) in their pre-series ratings and basically implied that he was very soft. Given that they were very generous in their praise of others, I certainly dont think it was some sort of psychological ploy on their behalf

Shahzad is probably the best bowler amongst them but, from what I've seen, is an attacking bowler and may not be able to provide the control that Broad has done
Warne has actually said, several times, that if Tremlett gets it right he thinks he can be the best bowler in the world.

Jarquis

Attitude is temporary though. It is quite possible that he has become extra determined to get back into the team and as such has produced some good performances. However, once he gets back into the team you can't rely on that lasting. Also, how he will peform is far more dependant on simply how he is a bowler, 'mental' aspects can only improve your performance to a certain degree.
I think the idea that he'll take his foot off the gas as soon as he's in the Test side is bull****.

pup11

International Coach
Sinking feeling that North will be retained, tbh. Most of the press seems centred on replacing Katich and Doherty, less so on Marcus. Praying that I'm wrong.
Well he's the Western Australian captain and would be playing at his home ground so it would be very harsh to break the poor man's heart by dropping him.
Afterall; Norfers >>>>>> winning back the Ashes... :ph34r:

Ruckus

International Captain
I think the idea that he'll take his foot off the gas as soon as he's in the Test side is bull****.
Yeah not necessarily, but as I said, there is only so much you can improve your bowling by having a 'good attitude'. It's not like Hauritz can use mind powers to suddenly become as good as Warne.