• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tour Matches

Ruckus

International Captain
That and Swann presents as a ****, I guess might have something to do with it :ph34r:
Yeh I have to agree, Swann does have a very dislikable face. Might be a top bloke, but at least on face value (literally) he looks like an arrogant ****.

Spark

Global Moderator
Indeed. Unfortunately if you can't get any turn or dip, as Hauritz couldn't, it's a bit useless.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But really, who cares? So many cases of the opposite occurring, and teams doing amazingly well against the touring teams and then bombing.

I love to make fun of England as much as any, especially with GIMH being the douchebag that he is (:ph34r: ), but some of the reactions here are well over the top.
This is true to an extent, in that England's performance in their first FC match three weeks before the tests is about as relevant as Australia's vs SL in a T20 or an ODI. Plenty of hysteria there too it must be said.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Heh @ Swann not getting much drift.

Someone like Murali doesn't get a great deal of drift particularly compared to the monstrous turn he gets. Murali is a pretty flat bowler, but unlike most flat bowlers he still gets turn (and lots of it). I've never really rated Murali much in terms of guile, once he lost his basic assets he's dropped off heavily. Someone like Warne has a far better bowling brain and varies the flight, pace, spin much more in response to who's batting and what shots they're playing - see how effective he was despite having half the weapons he used to have.

So anyway I don't think comparing Swann with Murali is viable. Swann has more guile, more flight, more drift and is less accurate. They're different bowlers.
1. No way - you dont take 800 test wickets unless you're an incredibly intelligent bowler that is a genius at working players out

2. Again, no way as every player that I've heard discuss batting against Murali describes the amazing drop he gets on the ball and how he beats them in flight as much as anything

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Swann gets that drift consistently though, with Harbhajan, it's only really when he's in full flow (hardly ever now)

Spark

Global Moderator
Swann gets that drift consistently though, with Harbhajan, it's only really when he's in full flow (hardly ever now)
Really? I don't remember seeing drift like that on a regular basis from Swann (certainly not as much as Hauritz). He gets much more dip though.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Swann gets good drift, but he has a naturally high release point, which is going to reduce it to some extent in comparison to Hauritz.

Hauritz bowls with a lower arm, so the ball curves outwards on with the arm, and he does get quite a bit of drift. Swann doesn't get as much in total, but he has a better combination of drift and dip (which Hauritz doesn't get a huge amount of), and when he gets it right Swann's drift occurs later, whereas Hauritz's is almost out of the hand.

Harbhajan doesn't really get a huge amount of drift, because he's almost past the perpendicular (which you often need to be to bowl a doosra). He angles the ball intowards the batsman at times; Ponting spoke of how they were trying to help Hauritz develop a similar tactic for India (which was complete madness, as they are such different bowlers). When Harbhajan gets this right, and manages this whilst still spinning into off stump and the batsman can't work him to leg, it's super hard to play, especially in sub-continent conditions.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Also, it's probably the biggest difference between Swann of early doors, and of the past 9 months. He gets that extra bit of overspin on the ball, whereas he used to rely on bowling quick side spinners, where the ball would either slide on or really grip.

He manages to get batsman to misread the length of balls, something that you rarely see with Hauritz because he bowls those "undercutters".

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't understand why Hauritz doesn't use his topspinner at all. On the rare occasion he has used it it's looked a reasonably threatening ball.