• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

ripper868

International Coach
So...SBW not in the Ab's team for Saturday night then. Right call IMO.

Alexander returns for Australia upfront and heavens be praised sleezy ma'afu is dropped altogether.

Looking forward to the Cooper vs Carter Battle, and also the Cowan vs Genia at the scrumbase. Cooper with a 1-0 lead on Carter (Reds vs Crusaders round 2) and Genia also with one up on Cowan (Round 14 Reds vs Highlanders)

All Blacks with the last 10 straight on the wallabies...surely it can't become 11.

EDIT: One week avatar bet available to any Kiwi willing (Volteh?)

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Well done Australia. Great kick under pressure. Often the bridesmaid never the bride etc...Donald made a couple of bad plays - Nonu played well.

We didn't dominate at the breakdown like we normally do.

Well done again. Congrats to Ripper and the other Aussies who follow the Wallabies.

I actually think the loss is very good for the ABs it will make us work harder for the world cup.

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Is there any chance we can send Stephen Donald home? I know I said in the ITM Cup thread that I had more confidence in him than Cruden or Slade but after his efforts in the last 20 minutes tonight I take all that back. Australia might as well get rid of Giteau too, he was aweful. Those two players, both supposedly classy individuals and goalkickers, wilted badly.

Australia deserved their win TBH, they dominated the opening 25-30 minutes, and they had the better of the second half. Cooper was a liability on defence and his missed tackles were the catalyst for a number of the AB tries. Thought the refeeing was pretty average against both sides which is odd given I usually rate Rolland quite highly. Also if we keep playing these tests in Asia, it'd be nice if the ground's of a reasonable standard rather than looking like a farmer's paddock.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Well done Australia. Great kick under pressure. Often the bridesmaid never the bride etc...Donald made a couple of bad plays - Nonu played well.

We didn't dominate at the breakdown like we normally do.

Well done again. Congrats to Ripper and the other Aussies who follow the Wallabies.

I actually think the loss is very good for the ABs it will make us work harder for the world cup.
Yeh agree with all those points. Nonu clearly targetted Cooper and made some impressive bursts after a few errors early in the match. Pocock had the better of McCaw at the breakdown IMO although I still think McCaw's a better player in open play.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Donald. Atrocious. Toeava was the only other weak link, I reckon. Kaino was top notch. Mathewson looked a bit out of his depth in his short run

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Donald. Atrocious. Toeava was the only other weak link, I reckon. Kaino was top notch. Mathewson looked a bit out of his depth in his short run
As I mentioned when the squad was announced I didn't expect Toeava to be selected given hes hardly played this season and typically seems to struggle a bit when first returning to action. Agreed regarding Kaino, and Read was great again too. I hardly saw Mathewson TBH...although would you prefer Andy Ellis replaced Cowan? :happy:

HeathDavisSpeed

Mathewson didn't really have much time, but I think the Aussies targeted him a bit when he came on. During the AB's last attack, Mathewson got pushed back about 5 or so yards in the tackle. And no, I wouldn't have preferred Ellis. Mathewson will be better for the experience.

Agreed regarding Read. Kaino & Read are a great pairing in the making.

HeathDavisSpeed

****ing Steven Donald. Disgraceful twit.
I can think of about half a dozen ways he ****ed up in the 15 odd minutes he was on. He should never have missed that penalty and his tactical kicking was atrocious - culminating in that clearance kick that failed to gain touch. High tackles, poor decision making. Send him home. (kneejerk?)

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I can think of about half a dozen ways he ****ed up in the 15 odd minutes he was on. He should never have missed that penalty and his tactical kicking was atrocious - culminating in that clearance kick that failed to gain touch. High tackles, poor decision making. Send him home. (kneejerk?)
Agreed x 100.

And had O'Connor not scored in the last minute theres no doubt he would've been yellow carded. On that thought, just prior to the final play did it look as though Rolland was going to yellow card one of the ABs but the Wallabies took the quick tap too quickly? I'll have to rewatch as it was so hectic to keep up with exactly what was going down.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Congratulations to Australia on winning the DHL Cup.

* Two tries from set-play is a positive sign.

* Beale played well again. Knew exactly when to let go of that ball, when to hold the player up, and give Mitchell that extra time to score the try. His final counter-attack was crucial in the Wallabies winning. Beale's injected some running into that side. I mean look at the Wallabies in Auckland this year - no creativity, no imagination, no ability to create something... and now they have a little bit of unpredictability.

* Pocock again Australia's best player.

* It would seem like Ashley-Cooper should stay at 13.

One trophy each: New Zealand (Bledisloe) - Australia (DHL Cup). And it's often said, and very true, that a side is only as good as their last game. So Australia can be happy with themselves.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Congratulations to Australia on winning the DHL Cup.
I tuned off before the presentations - you mean to say there was a trophy in addition to the Bledisloe Cup on the line for the winner of tonight's match? I guess good on DHL for getting their name out there on an endorsement but personally I find that a Cup within a Cup sounds a bit odd (Ranfurly Shield's a bit different given how its structured).

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I thought Elsom was very good in his victory speech. Not too high not too low. And I am glad there was a DHL cup to play for as it gave the Wallabies something to take home.

If Beale is going to play like that - sooner or later he is going to be the number 1 Fullback in the world. Muliaina has been stunning this year but Beale has been better. I think next time we play him I would like to put in a few up and unders and hit him hard just as he catches it to sort him out. We need to slow him down a little bit.

Speaking of which a story for you.

I was having a beer with a former England under 19 player in Canada. He was a centre apparently - he said word got around about him in Canada prior to his first game after moving to Vancouver so the Canucks decided to teach him a lesson for being good. So they sent a few up and unders to him and then did illegal tackles on him just as he caught the ball. The penalties were called but it shattered Leigh's confidence and he was never the same player afterwards he said,

Not advocating illegal tackles on Beale but some good stiff ones just to show him who he is dealing with. That will learn him.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Hahah! Go the wallabies. God I hope they beat the All Blacks at the World Cup next year.

. So they sent a few up and unders to him and then did illegal tackles on him just as he caught the ball. The penalties were called but it shattered Leigh's confidence and he was never the same player afterwards he said,

Not advocating illegal tackles on Beale but some good stiff ones just to show him who he is dealing with. That will learn him.
Problem with that is if you get your timing a bit wrong its straight to the bin (and quite right too).

Last edited:

lachlan43

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stephen Donald (born 3 December 1983) is the worst New Zealand rugby union player in history.