• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

Stapel

International Regular
Let's assume for a moment there is firm evidence, and that ICC & PCB acknowledge this. What then?

Does the ICC have clear laws or jurisprudence for how to deal with spot fixers? Or will the level of punishment be made up for such a case? There are quite some people stating life bans are proper punishments. But is that so?

If the result of a Test Match is "sold", I can see a life ban is in persepctive, quite obviously the right thing.
But an 18-year old bowling two deliberately spot-fixed no-balls? That's not in the same league!

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Let's assume for a moment there is firm evidence, and that ICC & PCB acknowledge this. What then?

Does the ICC have clear laws or jurisprudence for how to deal with spot fixers? Or will the level of punishment be made up for such a case? There are quite some people stating life bans are proper punishments. But is that so?

If the result of a Test Match is "sold", I can see a life ban is in persepctive, quite obviously the right thing.
But an 18-year old bowling two deliberately spot-fixed no-balls? That's not in the same league!
They are entirely in the same league. There are no degrees or levels of perspective involved. It's bizarre how everywhere where comments are posted about this you get the "it's only a few no balls so what does it matter" line trotted out. The purpose of the no balls is about the bookmaker proving that he has the captain of Pakistan on his payroll. In cricketing terms it doesn't get any worse than that and all those involved should be banned for life.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Originally I was of the mind that it was just a couple of no balls. But since then I have been thinking goodness knows wha]t else they have been up to. So even though they have been caught for the no balls I think there is a case for punishing them sternly.

You just know that there has been other cheating going on.

Try as I might I can't make my peice with punishing Aamir with a life time ban. Seems to firm. I doubt that Aamir was a ring leader trying to get other team members to join in.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The effect fixing one part of a match can have on the rest shouldn't be overlooked either. Sometimes a batsman can be buoyed if they make a mistake on a no-ball, or it can break a bowler's momentum.

Spark

Global Moderator
The one I'm looking at with a very critical eye now is actually not the Sydney test but the Hobart test. Just some weird things, on top of the obvious ones like the dropped catch and the runouts. Most centered around the middle session of Day 1 which really was the critical one as far as the match was concerned.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
The effect fixing one part of a match can have on the rest shouldn't be overlooked either. Sometimes a batsman can be buoyed if they make a mistake on a no-ball, or it can break a bowler's momentum.
It has been pointed out that after Aamir's second no-ball (that was after the rush of wickets on the second morning) he took no more wickets in that spell.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The one I'm looking at with a very critical eye now is actually not the Sydney test but the Hobart test. Just some weird things, on top of the obvious ones like the dropped catch and the runouts. Most centered around the middle session of Day 1 which really was the critical one as far as the match was concerned.
The Eng-Pak game in the T20 WC last year raised a few eyebrows at the time

iamdavid

International Debutant
I thought the most questionable result of the whole tour was the T20 game in Melbourne, Pakistan were cruising at one point in their chase and then threw it away with some bizarre running between the wickets and ridiculous dismissals. There was something especially fishy about the wickets of Rana Naved and Gul.

Only T20I: Australia v Pakistan at Melbourne, Feb 5, 2010 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

Matt79

Global Moderator
That's the horrible thing about this situation. We do know, or at least thought we knew, that Pakistan were a team capable of completely imploding on the field. But now you wonder every time whether they were genuinely that poor on a given day, or whether there was something else going on.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Is it possible that Bob Woolmer was murdered perhaps because he didn't want to be part of the fixing and stuff and was about to blow the whistle? Its possible that these players might be given death threats or to there family members back home...

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Let's hope to goodness that the Bob Woolmer case was what not what rumours said to start with, that would be horrific.

As for the three players, the article on cricinfo implies that they have said they are completely innocent, whereas the one on the BBC implies that is what the commissioner said. I wish there would just be an official statement one way or the other.

angad

U19 12th Man

Salman Butt drives a car believed to be owned by Mazhar Majeed (seated behind Butt). Kamran Akmal sits with Butt.

Mazhar (seated, left) talks to Salman Butt while Umar Akmal looks on.

Mazhar Majeed with Salman Butt.

Mazhar Majeed speaking to someone on the phone outside the hotel hosting Pakistan's team, during the Australia vs Pakistan Lord's Test in July 2010.

Source - http://www.mid-day.com/gallery/sports/mazhar-majeed-and-pakistans-cricketers/

Really how much more proof PCB wants ? It seems everyone from President to Security Guard is involved in this. First they ban player, then give him team's captaincy. Now Shoib Akhtar will be rock star again. :laugh:

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Umar Akmal is wearing a Manchester United sweatband?
Just when i thought this situation couldn't get any more disgusting.