• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia vs Pakistan in England

Spark

Global Moderator
IMO, it's not so much that they dont have faith in youngsters (e.g. they've brought in Hughes, Smith and Paine) but more about the ridiculous amount of loyalty that they show to some of the incumbents

Take the last Ashes as an example

Heading into the first test, every man and his dog knew that our best 3 pace bowlers weren't Hilf/Johnson/Siddle and, if there were any doubt, it had to be gone by the second test

But the hierarchy put their head in the sand and stuck with them throughout the entire series, even going to the extent of dropping Hauritz (our most consistent bowler in the series) when faced with a spinners' track at the Oval just to keep them together and all because they'd done well in a couple of tests against SA

Then we have Marcus North

To his credit, he has played 3/4 outstanding innings in tests.

Unfortunately, he has "complemented" these knocks with 15 failures

Despite this, I reckon he's 50/50 to play the first test in India
50/50? He almost certainly will play the 1st test in India.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah sadly.. And they also need an opener to play with Katich.. Surely a nation with such a rich cricketing history and highly acclaimed first class system can produce a proper opener better than Shane Watson? Yeah he has been decent so far but how long can you continue with bits and pieces players like that?

You've been warned before for posting stuff like this AK. If you want to bait other posters like this, take it to a Youtube comments section and not here.
How is it baiting?

Australia have accused Amir of ball tampering.

FACT

Australia got a lot more decisions in favour of them.

FACT

Pakistan didn't have two of their best players.

FACT

Which one of them is irrelevant to the thread?

Spark

Global Moderator
As has been said many times in this thread... Hughes, or Rogers. We have plenty of good openers going around.

Okay, I'll bite and put the XI I want to see going into India.

Katich
Hughes
Clarke
Ponting
Watson
Smith/Khawaja
Haddin/Paine
Johnson
Hauritz
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger

With Harris/Siddle or a youngun to go in if any of those three continue their merry ways.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
You want to play Smith at 6?? Is he that good?? He smashed Kaneria all around the park but Indian spinners at home wont be that easy.

Spark

Global Moderator
How is it baiting?

Australia have accused Amir of ball tampering.

FACT

Australia got a lot more decisions in favour of them.

FACT

Pakistan didn't have two of their best players.

FACT

Which one of them is irrelevant to the thread?
Put in that way it doesn't sound so bad (although contentious), but the way you posted it was much more extreme i.e. "repeating Sydney" - that is a quite obvious bait - and thrown in with truly ridiculous statements such as "Pakistan deserved to rated higher than Australia" and the "players they can't face" jibe (which is also quite wrong in the listing)

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah sadly.. And they also need an opener to play with Katich.. Surely a nation with such a rich cricketing history and highly acclaimed first class system can produce a proper opener better than Shane Watson? Yeah he has been decent so far but how long can you continue with bits and pieces players like that?
Tbf, he owned Pakistan in Australia

His and Katich's major problem is that they rarely convert good starts into big hundreds

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Tbf, he owned Pakistan in Australia

His and Katich's major problem is that they rarely convert good starts into big hundreds
Yep..thats what a proper batsman does... Thats why Australia need a proper batsman...Talented bits and pieces players like Watson do well in one or two series but when people wrongly believe that they are a long term solution, thats when the problem starts

social

Yep..thats what a proper batsman does... Thats why Australia need a proper batsman...Talented bits and pieces players like Watson do well in one or two series but when people wrongly believe that they are a long term solution, thats when the problem starts
Watson is faaaaaaaaaaaaaar better than a bits and pieces player

Put in that way it doesn't sound so bad (although contentious), but the way you posted it was much more extreme i.e. "repeating Sydney" - that is a quite obvious bait - and thrown in with truly ridiculous statements such as "Pakistan deserved to rated higher than Australia" and the "players they can't face" jibe (which is also quite wrong in the listing)
Maybe you deliberately missed the :ph34r: after the Sydney comment just so you could gain brownie points by calling others names?

And I think Pak deserve to be rated higher than Australia.Not sure what your problem is with that.If you think that's ridiculous,that's your opinion.Maybe you expect everyone to dance to your tunes in a discussion forum but I don't see it that way :)

Pakistan should have beaten Australia a good many times now.That they havn't has been more to do with their own mental fragilities than Australia being more skilfull.Pakistan's bowling attack is much better than Australia's and with Ricky Ponting fading their batting isn't all that either.With Yousuf and Younis back you could make a case for Pakistan being a better side.

And about the tampering - it's always Australia who seem to have problems with bowlers.Funnily enough,it's always bowlers that they don't do well against.They did it to Ajmal in Abu Dhabi last year and now Amir.That is not a bait, it is a FACT.

Last edited:

social

Lol. People are accusing him of ball tampering based on that?!? If that's ball tampering, then practically every spinner in the world and most fast bowlers are going to be suspended.
Wrong

Not a hanging offence by any means but that's blatant and unbelievably stupid

I'll put it down to naivety but he deserves a rap over the knuckles

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And I think Pak deserve to be rated higher than Australia.Not sure what your problem is with that.If you think that's ridiculous,that's your opinion.Maybe you expect everyone to dance to your tunes in a discussion forum but I don't see it that way :)

Pakistan should have beaten Australia a good many times now.That they havn't has been more to do with their own mental fragilities than Australia being more skilfull.Pakistan's bowling attack is much better than Australia's and with Ricky Ponting fading their batting isn't all that either.With Yousuf and Younis back you could make a case for Pakistan being a better side.
They beat Australia for the first time in 15 years (to tie what is technically a home series) and they're a better side and deserve to be rated higher? As you said, it's your opinion but don't be surprised if you're called out.

They beat Australia for the first time in 15 years (to tie what is technically a home series) and they're a better side and deserve to be rated higher? As you said, it's your opinion but don't be surprised if you're called out.
I am talking about the current set up of the two sides.As for the bolded part- it flatters Australia to say that.They have lost to one of the most inexperienced Pakistani sides ever at a place where Ponting's never won a series as captain.I expect the Pak side that beat Aus had what,200 tests between them?Maybe less.Ricky alone has about 130.

1.Butt
2.Azhar
3.Younus
4.Yousuf
5.Umar Akmal
6.Fawad Alam/Amin
7.Kamran
8.Amir
9.Asif
10.Gul
11.Kaneria

Pakistan's bowling attack is unquestionably better than Australia's.In fact if you were to make a combined bowling attack of the two sides,it would probably be 3-1 in Pakistan's favour.

With Yousuf and YK back the batting doesn't look bad either.Australia on the other hand have been off colour for ages.What have they won apart from beating WI and Pak at home?Lost to India away,lost the Ashes,lost to SA at home..will probably lose this Ashes as well.