• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will the first to break Anwar's 194?

merk

Cricket Spectator
Well reading through this thread it seems everyone was wrong...

The first person to reach 200 in an official One Day International was an Australian - Belinda Clark who did it in a womens One Day International against the Netherlands.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ok, is this going to be like Tests, if a player breaks the record at the next WC against a minnow team, will people consider SRT to still hold the record, in the way that some people still counted Lara as the record holder when Hayden scored 380 v Zimbabwe?
The real resolve of that was, fortunately, never tested as, fortunately, Lara reclaimed the ICC-official record within months.

We can just hope that similar resolve is never required to be tested and that a player doesn't score 201+ against a joke side.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The real resolve of that was, fortunately, never tested as, fortunately, Lara reclaimed the ICC-official record within months.

We can just hope that similar resolve is never required to be tested and that a player doesn't score 201+ against a joke side.
If they do then fair play to them.

Scoring 200 in a List A game is no mean feat, regardless of the opposition.

Shri

Mr. Glass
For some reason I've always though Anwar's effort came in Sharjah.
Chennai. Went to the game with some illness at that time. Can't remember what was wrong. Slept through most of Anwar's innings after taking medicine. Woke up just in time to see him dismissed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If they do then fair play to them.

Scoring 200 in a List A game is no mean feat, regardless of the opposition.
It certainly isn't, and Alistair Brown's 40-over 201 and 50-over 263 were both astounding innings'. But neither match was worthy of ODI status, just because Brown played ODI-worthy knocks.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Chennai. Went to the game with some illness at that time. Can't remember what was wrong. Slept through most of Anwar's innings after taking medicine. Woke up just in time to see him dismissed.
Tendulkar got him!
I wonder how many people would've believed you if you'd said to them as that dismissal was happening "12 years later, Tendulkar will break that record that has just been set, and no-one (apart from in a game between two joke sides) will beat it in the meantime"?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
To answer Craig's question with another question, what do people consider to be the true ODI record team score?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It certainly isn't, and Alistair Brown's 40-over 201 and 50-over 263 were both astounding innings'. But neither match was worthy of ODI status, just because Brown played ODI-worthy knocks.
So let's go back to my hypothetical me scoring 201* for Scotland vs Ireland in an ODI.

Why should that not be recognised as worthy of replacing Tendulkar's record because I happen to represent one of the countries outwith the big 8?

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Why didnt Lara open the batting throughout his career, I recall Lara scoring 150 odd against Pakistan from the middle order in which he was like 5 of 35 balls to start with. It was incredible acceleration. He didnt even open the innings on this occasion, I just feel if he consistently batted as an opener, he would have squashed this record a long time ago.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So let's go back to my hypothetical me scoring 201* for Scotland vs Ireland in an ODI.

Why should that not be recognised as worthy of replacing Tendulkar's record because I happen to represent one of the countries outwith the big 8?
For the same reason Brown's 268 shouldn't replace Tendulkar's record - his team is not worthy of playing in games of the status that the Big Eight are worthy of playing.

I answered that question the last time you asked it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why didnt Lara open the batting throughout his career
For the same reason Tendulkar didn't - it was thought, and that thought had some merit, that someone else could perform his role at the top and that he was the best man to perform the role he could perform in the middle.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
To answer Craig's question with another question, what do people consider to be the true ODI record team score?
Personally I couldn't even tell you how many times the SA vs Aus scores have been surpassed in games not worthy of ODI status. I vaguely recall SL scored 440-odd against Holland in a completely worthless game at the end of their 2006 tour of England, but how many times since then I wouldn't have a clue. To me, the Aus and SA scores are the only ones worthy of the record, and the only remotely comparable game came at Rajkot a few months back.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Personally I couldn't even tell you how many times the SA vs Aus scores have been surpassed in games not worthy of ODI status. I vaguely recall SL scored 440-odd against Holland in a completely worthless game at the end of their 2006 tour of England, but how many times since then I wouldn't have a clue. To me, the Aus and SA scores are the only ones worthy of the record, and the only remotely comparable game came at Rajkot a few months back.
This. But still Coventry's score should not be degraded. He did score it against Bangladesh a test playing nation. It is better than scoring against a Bermuda, UAE, Hongkong or other such teams.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's a difference between degrading a batsman's score and degrading the match it was played in. Just because Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh is closer to meriting ODI status than Zimbabwe vs Bermuda, doesn't mean that close = close enough.

No-one has said a thing about how well or otherwise Coventry played in his knock - the only issue is that the game should not have been classed a ODI.

Athlai

Not Terrible
There's a difference between degrading a batsman's score and degrading the match it was played in. Just because Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh is closer to meriting ODI status than Zimbabwe vs Bermuda, doesn't mean that close = close enough.

No-one has said a thing about how well or otherwise Coventry played in his knock - the only issue is that the game should not have been classed a ODI.
Tamim - ODI class would battle for a spot in other international teams
Siddique - poor barely 2nd division county standard
Ashraful - ODI class albiet in a vein of terrrrible form
Raqibul - ODI class albiet lower end, easily List A standard
Shakib - ODI class and would get into every team in the world probably
Rahim - ODI class certainly better than Ramdin
Mahmudullah - ODI class very talented and hard hitting young man, decent bowler
Naeem Islam - ODI class lower order bat and off spinner
Alam - rubbish and probably not List A standard
Rasel - not too far off from being a handy ODI bowler, certainly List A standard
Enamul Haque Jnr - another very handy Bangladesh left arm spinner, definitely list A standard possibly ODI standard

Besides a very weak seam attack which obviously would come in handy in Zimbabwe the Bangladesh ODI team is probably worthy of becoming ODI standard in your words. With their spin attack they are extremely competitive in their home conditions and if Mortaza comes back strong they may even have half a seam attack.

Zimbabwe had a pretty strong team too.
Vermeulen - list A standard
Masakadaza - ODI standard
Coventry - list A standard
Taylor - ODI standard keeper
Williams - ODI standard or high List A
Matsikenyeri - lower end List A
Chigumbura - lower end ODI bowler but can swing a bat which makes him useful
Waller - no idea
Utseya - very hard to get away but has underperformed still high List A
Price - ODI standard

Though besides Bangladesh missing Mortaza these are some of the best teams these have fielded in quite a long time.

Athlai

Not Terrible
My point above being it most certainly deserves to be classified as an ODI match, but you'd have to remember that it was against a weak ODI team, in conditions they aren't suited to, on a road.
Easy.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tamim - ODI class would battle for a spot in other international teams
Siddique - poor barely 2nd division county standard
Ashraful - ODI class albiet in a vein of terrrrible form
Raqibul - ODI class albiet lower end, easily List A standard
Shakib - ODI class and would get into every team in the world probably
Rahim - ODI class certainly better than Ramdin
Mahmudullah - ODI class very talented and hard hitting young man, decent bowler
Naeem Islam - ODI class lower order bat and off spinner
Alam - rubbish and probably not List A standard
Rasel - not too far off from being a handy ODI bowler, certainly List A standard
Enamul Haque Jnr - another very handy Bangladesh left arm spinner, definitely list A standard possibly ODI standard

Besides a very weak seam attack which obviously would come in handy in Zimbabwe the Bangladesh ODI team is probably worthy of becoming ODI standard in your words. With their spin attack they are extremely competitive in their home conditions and if Mortaza comes back strong they may even have half a seam attack.

Zimbabwe had a pretty strong team too.
Vermeulen - list A standard
Masakadaza - ODI standard
Coventry - list A standard
Taylor - ODI standard keeper
Williams - ODI standard or high List A
Matsikenyeri - lower end List A
Chigumbura - lower end ODI bowler but can swing a bat which makes him useful
Waller - no idea
Utseya - very hard to get away but has underperformed still high List A
Price - ODI standard

Though besides Bangladesh missing Mortaza these are some of the best teams these have fielded in quite a long time.
Would dispute a fair few of them but nonetheless, Zimbabwe since 2003 and Bangladesh ever are not capable of competing regularly with ODI-standard (ie, The Big Eight) sides. Thus, neither side is ODI-standard, so neither side deserves to be involved in games which are classed as ODI.