• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ottis Gibson quits England for Windies role

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I was waiting to see if someone more informed than me would say something....
:cool:
Garrick is sadly indisciplined. He got dropped from the Jamaica side shortly after being dropped from the Windies, for some bad behaviour in a team bus. he was omitted from the Jamaica squad that year. He eventually made his way back into the Jamaica team in a subsequent year, but his performances with the bat were unimpressive, and he was out again.

I get the impression he depended heavily on raw talent, and wasn't prepared to put in the hard work that was necessary to make it at the top....
Oh yeah much better explanation this. He fell victim to his hype.

Craig

World Traveller
At the end of the day you win some, you lose some, just because Marshall failed to live up to the hype doesn't mean others will take the same path, Barath certainly didn't look out of place against the Aussies.
Without the benefit of hindsight, yes or no?

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Barath did about 10 times more than Marshall did before he was picked. That said, 10 x 0 = 0, so maybe I'm underestimating what Barath achieved before he was picked. But I'll say no more. Continue to discuss amongst yourselves.
Barath has done well young yes, but i'm not asking for all the youngsters to go into the test side am i? i'm saying we should give them two games against the mighty Zimbabwe, which some people can't seem to comprehend, Roach wasn't the best fast bowler in the caribbean when he was picked but he's certainly made his name now.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Without the benefit of hindsight, yes or no?
I'd rather stick with hindsight thanks :p

The bottom line is he started well so he did have it in him to perform at that level, he just went off the rails like many sportsmen have done in the past, he's not the first and he won't be the last.

shivfan

Banned
Powell used to open the bating and sometimes he'd get out early, but right now his confidence seems to be growing and his move to three has seen him stay at the crease for long spells and he's playing all the strokes in the book now, i think it's unrealistic to expect 19 year olds to score 100's every week, not even experienced players like Nash do that, the bottom line is the kid is getting better and better and i don't believe he'd look out of place in the ODI side, especially when he's already played at that level twice,

In the case of Kantasingh i must admit he's starting to impress me now, 23 years old and he cleaned bowled two of his victims yesterday which is always a good sign from a spinner, he's got 21 wickets thus far and has the best figures in the season with his 12/84 against Trinidad, i really hope his form continues and hopefully he'll put pressure on big Benn.
Kantasingh has impressed....

However, I'm not expecting Powell to score centuries every week. But I am expecting him to score at least ONE century this season! To date, he has failed to score a single half-century this season, and any callup to the WI side has to be based on his perfromance for the Leewards this season, not last season....

Corbin was out for 34, Cahdrika for 32, and Dowrich for 24. So far, they haven't done anything this round to merit being looked at yet. Give them time, but their time is not now yet....

shivfan

Banned
Barath has done well young yes, but i'm not asking for all the youngsters to go into the test side am i? i'm saying we should give them two games against the mighty Zimbabwe, which some people can't seem to comprehend, Roach wasn't the best fast bowler in the caribbean when he was picked but he's certainly made his name now.
I have no problem with a couple of the young bowlers being given a chance against Zimbabwe, but only alongside a team of seasoned professionals, who can give them advice in the field. What I disagreed with was the potential team you put up, which was full of greenhorns, with hardly anyone to turn to for experience when things go against you....

So far, I haven't seen any significant performances from young batsmen to merit a callup yet. This might change in the last couple of rounds, but until that happens, the batting has to be drawn from those in the top ten of the domestic four-day competition so far. Do you know who's in there?

Yes, it's early days, but who would you pick for the first Test against the Saffers? Obviously, ODI cricket and Test cricket are two different formats of the game, so surely you won't be choosing players for Tests against the Saffers based upon their performances in the ODIs against Zimbabwe. Surely, it has to be their performances in the four-day domestic competition, which will soon be ending. And, of course, current Test batting form, as against Australia in the last Test series, and previous form.

Who do you think Gibson should pick for the first Test match against the Saffers?

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Kantasingh has impressed....

However, I'm not expecting Powell to score centuries every week. But I am expecting him to score at least ONE century this season! To date, he has failed to score a single half-century this season, and any callup to the WI side has to be based on his perfromance for the Leewards this season, not last season....

Corbin was out for 34, Cahdrika for 32, and Dowrich for 24. So far, they haven't done anything this round to merit being looked at yet. Give them time, but their time is not now yet....
You talk about Powell not getting a 50 yet, come on he got 48 runs in his last match so the difference is the same!! :laugh: , and Dowrich is a wicketkeeper man, how much are you expecting off of him exactly? if he can keep getting 30 and keeps the wicket well then i'd be more than happy with his form. Kantasingh got a late wicket against Jamaica last night and he'll be opening the bowling again today so hopefully he'll pick up even more wickets.

shivfan

Banned
You talk about Powell not getting a 50 yet, come on he got 48 runs in his last match so the difference is the same!! :laugh: , and Dowrich is a wicketkeeper man, how much are you expecting off of him exactly? if he can keep getting 30 and keeps the wicket well then i'd be more than happy with his form. Kantasingh got a late wicket against Jamaica last night and he'll be opening the bowling again today so hopefully he'll pick up even more wickets.
Powell averages 20 in regional cricket this season so far. Surely, your standards are not that low!
:)
if he wants to get into WI reckoning, he needs to hit big half-centuries (i.e. 80s, not 40s) to get into the reckoning, like Jason Haynes and Kirk Edwards. But even Haynes and Edwards need to go on to three figures at least once to be seriously considered....

Ramdin is the best gloveman in the region. His main problem is with his batting at Test level. So, surely, if you're planning to replace Ramdin on the basis of his batting, it has to be by a keeper who can actually score runs at regional level, right? So far, only Baugh is able to do that, and his glovework is the pits....
:laugh:

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I have no problem with a couple of the young bowlers being given a chance against Zimbabwe, but only alongside a team of seasoned professionals, who can give them advice in the field. What I disagreed with was the potential team you put up, which was full of greenhorns, with hardly anyone to turn to for experience when things go against you....

So far, I haven't seen any significant performances from young batsmen to merit a callup yet. This might change in the last couple of rounds, but until that happens, the batting has to be drawn from those in the top ten of the domestic four-day competition so far. Do you know who's in there?

Yes, it's early days, but who would you pick for the first Test against the Saffers? Obviously, ODI cricket and Test cricket are two different formats of the game, so surely you won't be choosing players for Tests against the Saffers based upon their performances in the ODIs against Zimbabwe. Surely, it has to be their performances in the four-day domestic competition, which will soon be ending. And, of course, current Test batting form, as against Australia in the last Test series, and previous form.

Who do you think Gibson should pick for the first Test match against the Saffers?
The youngsters talked about playing against Zimbabwe are playing making their names in the domestic league already so the difference is the same, as for the team against South Africa, it could be something like..

Gayle
Barath
Sarwan
Deonarine/Chanders
Nash
Bravo
Ramdin
Taylor
Benn/Kantasingh
Rampaul
Roach

Needless to say we'll probably lose.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Powell averages 20 in regional cricket this season so far. Surely, your standards are not that low!
:)
if he wants to get into WI reckoning, he needs to hit big half-centuries (i.e. 80s, not 40s) to get into the reckoning, like Jason Haynes and Kirk Edwards. But even Haynes and Edwards need to go on to three figures at least once to be seriously considered....

Ramdin is the best gloveman in the region. His main problem is with his batting at Test level. So, surely, if you're planning to replace Ramdin on the basis of his batting, it has to be by a keeper who can actually score runs at regional level, right? So far, only Baugh is able to do that, and his glovework is the pits....
:laugh:
We're talking about an 18 year old making his debut and you're mocking his batting efforts already? 8-) and who said i'd put him in the test side right now? :unsure: Powell has got over 30 runs three times since he moved to three, his last being his highest score of 48, so you see he's making progress, i'd actually prefer to focus on the talent of the players involved rather than demanding "100's" every week, Morton was making runs every match so should he be in the test side? erm NO, as Beamer said your logic doesn't really add up Mike because if Brathwaite makes a 100 next game does that mean you'll want him in the side? of course you won't, you'll just make another excuse.

shivfan

Banned
I'm mocking Baugh's glovework....
8-)
It's all well and good to focus on Powell's talent, but that does not mean he should be ushered into the WI side with immediate effect. The same goes for Brathwaite. How many centuries did Barath hit before he got into the WI side? Brathwaite will get into the WI Test side in good time, but probably not for another couple of years. He may play a couple of ODIs before then, but probably not this year.

As for losing to South Africa, that's no disgrace. India are currently getting thrashed by South Africa in their own backyard, and the same happened to Australia.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I'm mocking Baugh's glovework....
8-)
It's all well and good to focus on Powell's talent, but that does not mean he should be ushered into the WI side with immediate effect. The same goes for Brathwaite. How many centuries did Barath hit before he got into the WI side? Brathwaite will get into the WI Test side in good time, but probably not for another couple of years. He may play a couple of ODIs before then, but probably not this year.

As for losing to South Africa, that's no disgrace. India are currently getting thrashed by South Africa in their own backyard, and the same happened to Australia.
I was talking about you claiming "Dowrich's only got 24 runs", it was nothing to do with Baugh, as for Brathwaite i'd be very surprised if he's not pushing for selection within the next 10 months or so, he'll be a much better player than Gayle imo. and it's one thing to lose to South Africa and it's another thing getting embarrassed on your own turf, i don't think the caribbean fans would tolerate the gargabe we've seen from the lads recently.

Craig

World Traveller
I never said it was, but seeing as it was an 18 year old wicketkeeper making his debut it's not a knock to be ashamed of either.
Nowadays wicket keepers are expected to be pretty good with the bat and make a lot of runs. But then you have an acceptance of mediocrity, and because somebody is under the age of 20, made a decent score (but nothing big, or anything to stand out) and you want him in the team.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Nowadays wicket keepers are expected to be pretty good with the bat and make a lot of runs. But then you have an acceptance of mediocrity, and because somebody is under the age of 20, made a decent score (but nothing big, or anything to stand out) and you want him in the team.
Putting him in the first two ODI's against ZIMBABWE and playing him in the test side against South Africa are two different things, i'm an advocate for the former but if it doesn't happen i certainly won't be losing any sleep.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Your standards are too low for rushing people into the team.
The seniors standards are garbage as it is so we don't have much to lose anyway :laugh: , but like i told Craig already i'm only talking about two ODI'S against Zimbabwe, not the test games against South Africa.