• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Asif vs Steyn

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But is that a problem when you have such an astonishing strike rate? It is the analogy of a bowler who is about 10mph quicker than the level he is playing (youth cricket or low level club cricket) - he'll go for runs bowling half volleys, trying to bowl batsmen, but he'll end up with a superb strike rate and strong average and when it is all said and done, you cannot complain whilst he is doing that.
I've been at paints to point-out, often (in fact I did in the post you quoted) that I believe Steyn is best-served by using the methods which he has always used. It's a method that cannot make him one of the very best ever seen in my view, but certainly the method that maximises his own calibre.

gwo

U19 Debutant
It's perfectly possible he didn't even know he was taking them. The fact is no-one will ever know, except Asif himself, whether the things were taken deliberately or not.

If the substance is not taken deliberately there can be no motive or reason.
You can't plead ignorance in a court of law. Taking drugs simply because you didn't know they weren't makes you guilty of being ignorant (but I guess you being in blissful ignorance wouldn't know).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As I've said you're very ignorant in just about all matters concerning me and I'm well aware that you can't plead ignorance in any court. Once the rules are set you're bound to abide by them. Nonetheless, if the question is one of motive the matter of guilt is completely irrelevant. And also if the question is was someone's performance enhanced because they were caught with performance-enhancing drugs in their system the only answer can be "possibly". It can never be a certain yes or no.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You can't plead ignorance in a court of law. Taking drugs simply because you didn't know they weren't makes you guilty of being ignorant (but I guess you being in blissful ignorance wouldn't know).
But we're not in a court of law, we're on an internet forum, and there's no point refusing to acknowledge the possibility that Asif was ignorant.

But we're not in a court of law, we're on an internet forum, and there's no point refusing to acknowledge the possibility that Asif was ignorant.
He has twice tested positive to PED's, he was caught with hashish in his wallet.

Yeah the guy probably didnt even know.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I'd rate just the one above Asif. I remain unconvinced that he has lost any 'zip' until he stops taking wickets at a good rate.
Strangely it was the odi's against Aus which convinced me he's slowly regaining his 2006-2007 mojo unfortunatley odi's is not his main forte so was unable to deliver those knockout performances.

gwo

U19 Debutant
As I've said you're very ignorant in just about all matters concerning me and I'm well aware that you can't plead ignorance in any court. Once the rules are set you're bound to abide by them. Nonetheless, if the question is one of motive the matter of guilt is completely irrelevant. And also if the question is was someone's performance enhanced because they were caught with performance-enhancing drugs in their system the only answer can be "possibly". It can never be a certain yes or no.
If you are well aware, then I'm sure so is everybody else that there are possibilities that his motives were purely good (just like Shane Warne right?).

Stop being a kent, stop pointing out the obvious and play the discussion at hand. Talking about the hypothetical is NEVER really relevant, just like FCA.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If talking about hypotheticals was never relevant, there'd not be a great deal to talk about.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
He has twice tested positive to PED's, he was caught with hashish in his wallet.

Yeah the guy probably didnt even know.
Is Hashish = Steroids or whatever was found in his system..

I would imagine Hashish makes your judgment blurry and reduced.....

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Strangely it was the odi's against Aus which convinced me he's slowly regaining his 2006-2007 mojo unfortunatley odi's is not his main forte so was unable to deliver those knockout performances.
The 2 wickets he took in one over during CT against Australia was enough for me to say....."he still has it".....especially the one coming back in to White..

The_roc

U19 Captain
Ignorance of the rules is no excuse. Next thing you will be saying that Afridi didn't realise that biting the ball was wrong.

From my perspective Asif needs to take 200 wickets before a meaningful comparison can be made. Given the choice I would always go for Steyn in my team rather that the junkie.

HMas

U19 12th Man
Ignorance of the rules is no excuse. Next thing you will be saying that Afridi didn't realise that biting the ball was wrong.
Getting positive in drug tests and then blaming it on pain killers is no excuse either.:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No-one's saying it is an excuse. All that is being said is that the suggestion that Asif was unequivocally deliberately taking banned substances is ludicrous.

No-one's saying it is an excuse. All that is being said is that the suggestion that Asif was unequivocally deliberately taking banned substances is ludicrous.
And no one is saying Asif was unequivocally deliberately taking banned substances, all that was said was he took them to gain an unfair advantage.

You cant even say he tested positive really, there could of been a sample mix-up, or the tester misread the data or there was a typo in his report. Both times.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
This whole talk about who took what is seriously annoying. If people think Asif/Steyn are averaging 23 courtesy of the drugs they took, all I can say is good for you..No need to come here and ruin an interesting discussion about two of the best fast bowlers at the moment.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
T'was a joke. I still think Steyn > Asif, but it isn't as obvious as it should be. Also forgetting that Asif plays on flatter pitches than Steyn.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
T'was a joke. I still think Steyn > Asif, but it isn't as obvious as it should be. Also forgetting that Asif plays on flatter pitches than Steyn.
But he doesn't. Asif has only played four tests at home (no tests in India) and averages over 40 in Pakistan. Averages over 95 at home against South Africa and in that series he could hardly be less interested. Home series in England or South Africa are the best thing for Asif's career.