• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Come vote on the 90s and 00s banlist draft final teams

Which team do you think would be the most successful?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shri

Mr. Glass
Vettori and Ntini as 5th bowling options. Fanie, Donald and Srinath the first 3 pace bowlers.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Vettori and Ntini as 5th bowling options. Fanie, Donald and Srinath the first 3 pace bowlers.
Well your pace attack I would still rank as third. You need Vettori to be considered as your spin bowler so that you weren't punished (those who had no spinner were punished fairly heavily in the ranking system I used).

Having Fanie as your 5th bowling option (or your 4th pacer really) just got you much higher up in the 5th bowler rankings.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Pretty interesting way you've done this Stephen, reckon Marc is extremely unlucky to not get your vote.

Isn't my bowling all the way down in 7th too much for you to not vote for me?

stephen

Pretty interesting way you've done this Stephen, reckon Marc is extremely unlucky to not get your vote.

Isn't my bowling all the way down in 7th too much for you to not vote for me?
Well the way it worked out your batting and team balance was so good that it lifted your final tally dramatically.

There was not too much to separate the teams in the end. The top 4 were within 1 point of each other when I did my final tallies. You and I were tied and the next two were tied, in which case the stronger batting/bowling sides were what I went with.

The lack of a spinner was extremely punishing with my rankings and while I removed all the calculations that I used to work out the sides everyone was so close that it may easily have been a different story on a different day.

I did it this way as I was trying to be as objective as possible. I realise that I am going to be biased towards my own team though, which is why I can't vote for myself.

stephen

Oh and I was heavily punished for my team balance, which was low because of the lack of a viable 5th bowling option. Really my middle order and bowling attack were awesome, while my top order was a tad fragile.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Well the way it worked out your batting and team balance was so good that it lifted your final tally dramatically.

There was not too much to separate the teams in the end. The top 4 were within 1 point of each other when I did my final tallies. You and I were tied and the next two were tied, in which case the stronger batting/bowling sides were what I went with.

The lack of a spinner was extremely punishing with my rankings and while I removed all the calculations that I used to work out the sides everyone was so close that it may easily have been a different story on a different day.

I did it this way as I was trying to be as objective as possible. I realise that I am going to be biased towards my own team though, which is why I can't vote for myself.
Fair enough, good work putting in the time and effort to work it out,reckon you ended up with the right choice. :P

Blakus

State Vice-Captain
My team balance was even worse than yours Stephen. The lack of a spinner is really hurting my side. I also take it that you don't rate the players who had the majority of their careers in the 80's?

stephen

My team balance was even worse than yours Stephen. The lack of a spinner is really hurting my side. I also take it that you don't rate the players who had the majority of their careers in the 80's?
I did, but not too highly. I rated them purely on their 90s performances. Someone like Border was not a Great in the 90s, but merely a solid middle order player and I rated him accordingly.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I make no claims for my bowling attack whatsoever, but I reckon my middle order has been rather stiffed at #4, tbh.

stephen

I make no claims for my bowling attack whatsoever, but I reckon my middle order has been rather stiffed at #4, tbh.
You're probably right. The top 4 middle orders are practically interchangable as they are all very, very good. On another day yours may have been #1. Remember it's only how I have rated them and it wasn't a statistical analysis or anything as unbiased as that. It was me saying "which middle order would I most like to have".

NUFAN

Kevin Pietersen
Jacques Kallis
Aravinda de Silva

stephen

Brian Lara
Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Hashan Tillakaratne

Blakus

Mohammad Yousuf
Steve Waugh
Darren Lehmann

BoyBrumby

SR Tendulkar
Mahela Jayawardene (c)
MEK Hussey

There is so little to separate those four batting lineups. Any side in history would be happy with any of those middle orders. NUFANs is the best as it has no "weakness" at all, whereas Tillakaratne, Lehmann and Hussey all could be considered a step down from the absolute top shelf players. Each of the remaining three sides have one of the greats from the 90s and another batsman who is probably only just short of being considered an all time great.

The margin is so wafer thin that I really do have trouble separating these middle orders.