• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Bowling Attack - Tests

Best (potential) Current Bowling Attack? 3 VOTES!!!

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
You''re kidding aren't you? Gul's nothing more than ordinary at test level
Gul's taken 91 wickets in 24 matches, that's pretty good for a no.3 seamer. He's probably the best exponent of reverse swing at the moment and has a nasty yorker as well. Going through a bit of a lean patch but I think he contributes to the attack nicely.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
On face value, you could say this is one of the weakest periods for bowling in Tests in a long, long time.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Easily Pakistan. Asif, Aamer, Gul, what a threesome. After that I think the rest are all too close to each other. A firing Ishant could well make India the team with the second best attack.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
I still believe in Gul he had a bad year, in 2006 and 07 he looked really awesome that was the time when Waqar was the bowling coach with Waqar back again I expect him to pick up.
That is a very good point. I remember his bowling when Waqar was the coach. Clearly thats when he actually started yorking batsmen.

Faisal1985

Just because the quality of spinners around the world is low doesn't make Kaneria a better bowler then he is. He's been inconsistant pretty much his whole career.
Still is the highest wicket taking leggie for Pak.

I thought he was pretty impressive against NZ. And extremely good against Eng in 2005 in Pak.

Faisal1985

daghetto

Cricket Spectator
Pakistan for sure

ajmal being one of the best off spinners out right now, who also has the doosra; one of the only 3 offspinners in the world legally allowed to bowl it(i think 3? harbhajan didnt get banned right?)

kaneria made a great comeback vs NZ this test series, he took a 7-wicket haul and a 4 wicket haul in the 2 tests he played.

Asif is up there in the top 5 test bowlers at the moment

aamer, at his age, is great

gul used to be good, but now hes ok. hes the highest t20 wicket taker i think, along with saeed ajmal.

Polo23

International Debutant
Surprised at all the love for Pakistan to be honest. Asif is pretty good, Aamer produces the odd spectacular delivery but in between can be quite pedestrian, because of this he probably looks better than he currently is (I don't doubt he could be a pretty special bowler in the future though). Gul is average, really average, it shocks me how much he gets talked up. Kaneria is a good spinner but I think teams who play spin well (Aus, SA, India) won't have too many problems, he did well against NZ, but take into consideration NZ are incredibly ****house against spin.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Aamer is pedestrian at times because he was overbowled and was just tired I reckon. Too young and undeveloped to be spearheading a 4 man attack.

Gul is tight and can be aggressive (loose when he is) and is a decent foil to Asif and Aamer.

But Pakistan need a 5th bowling option.

Akthar for Gul and Razzaq in. Then they'd be the best.

Polo23

International Debutant
I don't even remember the last time Akhtar played a test, and if I recall correctly he was pretty poor before he got herpes.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I don't even remember the last time Akhtar played a test, and if I recall correctly he was pretty poor before he got herpes.
If he isn't good enough to take Gul's place then Gul can keep it obv.

Don't rate SA's attack much at all without Steyn and Australia's isn't as formidable as it used to be despite still being very handy.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
haha, my for love Pakistan is well-documented but to rate them as the best bowling attack in the world is stretching credulity. Potentially they're deadly but potential never won a damn thing. Rating Saeed Ajmal as awesome is a bit premature considering he was dropped for Danish Kaneria....

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gul is the number three bowler in the pace attack after Aamer and Asif. He isn't a bad number three is he ?
No not bad, just ordinary. Given how average the NZ Test batting lineup is right now, Gul went down a long way on my estimations as a bowler in this latest series.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Kaneria and Asif are very good bowlers but neither are the best in their skills Kaneria is behind Murali and Bhajji while Asif follows Mitch & Steyn ,I like Gul but he will always remain short of world class how Aamir develops is the key here agree with Athlai too young and underdevelop to play back to back tests in a 4 man attack.

This is where I feel selection of Wahab Riaz (promising 24 yr old left armer) was important as he and Aamir could have been rotated till Aamir finally matures.